Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:40 pm

I would bet on a release this week, probably Thursday or Friday.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:12 pm

Flips88 wrote:I would bet on a release this week, probably Thursday or Friday.


I've been telling people I think grades will be out by this Friday and I stick by that.

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby M458 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I would bet on a release this week, probably Thursday or Friday.


I've been telling people I think grades will be out by this Friday and I stick by that.


I place my faith in you.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:03 pm

One of my professors confirmed that grades were due today and said that the registrar is going to release them "by Friday." She also offered to show everyone their individual grade breakdown if we emailed her and asked. So I've got at least one grade out of the way!

Splitter1415
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Splitter1415 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Yes.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:01 am

Splitter1415 wrote:Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?

Most of us don't have cars in Chicago, and even a lot of those who do don't drive them on a daily basis. Parking is often either hideously expensive (downtown) or annoyingly hard to find (a lot of other neighborhoods). I leave my car at home in Oregon.

Splitter1415
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Splitter1415 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:12 am

bk1 and rinkrat19,

Thank you. That's good to know. I'll try to visit the campus sometime this year.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:16 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Splitter1415 wrote:Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?

Most of us don't have cars in Chicago, and even a lot of those who do don't drive them on a daily basis. Parking is often either hideously expensive (downtown) or annoyingly hard to find (a lot of other neighborhoods). I leave my car at home in Oregon.

True that. The free Ventra card will get you most places you need to go.

I will say, though, that cutting off free Ventra when school isn't in session is a total drag. Not just for folks like me working and commuting here in Chicago over the summer, but most of us who need airport transport before and after the semester.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:23 am

bananasplit19 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Splitter1415 wrote:Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?

Most of us don't have cars in Chicago, and even a lot of those who do don't drive them on a daily basis. Parking is often either hideously expensive (downtown) or annoyingly hard to find (a lot of other neighborhoods). I leave my car at home in Oregon.

True that. The free Ventra card will get you most places you need to go.

I will say, though, that cutting off free Ventra when school isn't in session is a total drag. Not just for folks like me working and commuting here in Chicago over the summer, but most of us who need airport transport before and after the semester.

It's a bit of a bummer, but I just put $20 on my Ventra card account to use when class isn't in session. You can do it online. And going home for the summer/coming back in the fall I have to get a cab anyway (traveling with three huge bags, a backpack and a cat).

Splitter1415
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Splitter1415 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:23 am

What? You get a free transit pass from school? It's like getting a metrocard for free here in NYC! That's amazing!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:24 am

Splitter1415 wrote:What? You get a free transit pass from school? It's like getting a metrocard for free here in NYC! That's amazing!

Well it's "free" in the sense that we are paying 50k+/year to go to school here and they also happen to give us a transit pass that works during the school year. So yeah, "free."

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:29 am

bk1 wrote:
Splitter1415 wrote:What? You get a free transit pass from school? It's like getting a metrocard for free here in NYC! That's amazing!

Well it's "free" in the sense that we are paying 50k+/year to go to school here and they also happen to give us a transit pass that works during the school year. So yeah, "free."

Hey, we could be paying 50k+ and not getting a transit pass.

Splitter1415
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Splitter1415 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:30 am

I don't think any school in NYC does that. It's still very nice even when you are paying so much to attend law school.

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:38 am

bananasplit19 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Splitter1415 wrote:Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?

Most of us don't have cars in Chicago, and even a lot of those who do don't drive them on a daily basis. Parking is often either hideously expensive (downtown) or annoyingly hard to find (a lot of other neighborhoods). I leave my car at home in Oregon.

True that. The free Ventra card will get you most places you need to go.

I will say, though, that cutting off free Ventra when school isn't in session is a total drag. Not just for folks like me working and commuting here in Chicago over the summer, but most of us who need airport transport before and after the semester.


Log on to your account (or create one) at https://www.ventrachicago.com/. You'll get to see when the U-PASS expires. The U-PASS was good until May 20th (some weeks after school) and it let out a few weeks after Fall semester too. You have to keep your eye on it but it's pretty neat that we get a week or two grace period. I'm assuming this is because the U-PASS we're receiving is some generic U-PASS that the CTA gives out to specified educational institutions that all are on different schedules but . . . it could also be because Northwestern is just that nice too.

zugzwanger
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby zugzwanger » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 am

OCI employer list is up on symplicity can't believe OCI is so quickly approaching :shock:

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 pm

so judging by last year's thread we won't know how many interview slots each firm has until bidding has opened, right?

And is there any way to download all this stuff off symplicity as a .csv or something?

kenwash
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby kenwash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Splitter1415 wrote:Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?

Most of us don't have cars in Chicago, and even a lot of those who do don't drive them on a daily basis. Parking is often either hideously expensive (downtown) or annoyingly hard to find (a lot of other neighborhoods). I leave my car at home in Oregon.

Any recommendations for parking near/around downtown below $200/mo? I plan to take the metro (hopefully no more than ~15 minutes) to get to my car when needed.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bdubs » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:29 pm

kenwash wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Splitter1415 wrote:Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?

Most of us don't have cars in Chicago, and even a lot of those who do don't drive them on a daily basis. Parking is often either hideously expensive (downtown) or annoyingly hard to find (a lot of other neighborhoods). I leave my car at home in Oregon.

Any recommendations for parking near/around downtown below $200/mo? I plan to take the metro (hopefully no more than ~15 minutes) to get to my car when needed.


If you're eligible, on campus parking is a really good deal.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/communi ... index.html

kenwash
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby kenwash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:44 pm

bdubs wrote:
kenwash wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Splitter1415 wrote:Hello. I'm thinking of applying to NU since it seems like a splitter-friendly school. I have a dumb question. I've never driven a car in my life. Is it possible to live in Chicago and attend NU without a car?

Most of us don't have cars in Chicago, and even a lot of those who do don't drive them on a daily basis. Parking is often either hideously expensive (downtown) or annoyingly hard to find (a lot of other neighborhoods). I leave my car at home in Oregon.

Any recommendations for parking near/around downtown below $200/mo? I plan to take the metro (hopefully no more than ~15 minutes) to get to my car when needed.


If you're eligible, on campus parking is a really good deal.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/communi ... index.html

I'll be living <1mi from campus, so it looks like I won't qualify :( . Any other recommendations?

str8yolked
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:56 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby str8yolked » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:57 am

Hey guys, I'm on the WL for NU and my SO will be attending John Marshall this year. I'll be moving to Chicago whether or not I get off the WL. Do you guys have any suggestions for housing that's close to both schools? Would Streeterville be the most convenient?

Thanks!

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Kikero » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:09 am

John Marshall is right off the Jackson Red Line stop, and NU is an easy walk from the Chicago Red Line stop, so anywhere close to the Red Line would work. That being said, the train can be really crowded sometimes, especially for your SO who will be going into the Loop pretty much during rush hours. Anywhere in the Loop or River North would be a reasonable distance from both schools as well. You could also potentially live in Ukrainian Village which a lot of people like. You could take the 66 bus along Chicago and your SO could take the Blue Line. There might be a lot of other good options, but I'm not too familiar with what buses get you to John Marshall in a reasonable amount of time.

I'd suggest just playing around with Google Maps to see how long it would take you to walk/bus/train from neighborhoods that people in this thread have recommended before to both schools and see what seems reasonable to you. And keep in mind that in the winter a 20 minute walk is worse than a 35 minute train ride.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:14 am

Kikero wrote:John Marshall is right off the Jackson Red Line stop, and NU is an easy walk from the Chicago Red Line stop, so anywhere close to the Red Line would work. That being said, the train can be really crowded sometimes, especially for your SO who will be going into the Loop pretty much during rush hours. Anywhere in the Loop or River North would be a reasonable distance from both schools as well. You could also potentially live in Ukrainian Village which a lot of people like. You could take the 66 bus along Chicago and your SO could take the Blue Line. There might be a lot of other good options, but I'm not too familiar with what buses get you to John Marshall in a reasonable amount of time.

I'd suggest just playing around with Google Maps to see how long it would take you to walk/bus/train from neighborhoods that people in this thread have recommended before to both schools and see what seems reasonable to you. And keep in mind that in the winter a 20 minute walk is worse than a 35 minute train ride.

I live in Streeterville and work around the corner from John Marshall right now and I agree with Kikero - the closer to a red line stop the better. Even living farther north (Lincoln Park/Lakeview) will be a 15-20 min commute MAX if you live within a few minutes walking distance of a red line stop - and living farther north will be cheaper.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:24 am

John Marshall is right off a bunch of bus routes that go down State. If you lived in Streeterville, your SO could take the 29 bus which picks up on Grand and be let off right by John Marshall. Same goes for the South Loop going north. 29 lets off at Illinois & McClurg, which is a couple blocks south of NU Law.

str8yolked
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:56 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby str8yolked » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully I'll see you all at NU in a few months!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests