Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
homestyle28

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:49 am

ArghItsBlarg wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
EarlCat wrote:
Horsefeathers wrote:I understand that NW generally offers money to median-protectors, but what about a true splitter (3.19 and a 173) with a really shitty financial situation, no personal or family assets at all, and undergrad debt? Any chance?

I know a splitter with very similar numbers and a really good scholarship.

well that makes me hopeful

As a splitter with almost exactly the same numbers, I'll call it double-hopeful. Come on, full ride! A man's gotta dream...

Honestly, I would be shocked if they gave me any $, I'd be honored with a half-stamped subway club card!

MarkSanchez

Postby MarkSanchez » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:18 pm

How many hours of reading/studying do you do a day?

In your opinion, is NU worth the cost at sticker?

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:16 pm

MarkSanchez wrote:How many hours of reading/studying do you do a day?

It varies. Personally I have had very little free time, but I have chosen a lot of classes and activities (such as clinical work) which take up lots and lots of time. It's possible to take a lighter schedule.

Depends on your goals.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Outside of class? 3-4.

No. Like Earl Cat said, though, it depends on goals and where you are coming from.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:34 pm

1. Until finals ramp-up, only a couple of hours/day except when big CLR assignments are due.

2. I think so. For me, their LRAP was a big factor in this.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

1. Until finals ramp-up, only a couple of hours/day except when big CLR assignments are due.

2. I think so. For me, their LRAP was a big factor in this.

I keep hearing that NU's LRAP is rather strong. Can anyone explain certain aspects of the program that make it stand out in comparison to the other mid-lower T14?

To enroll in PSFP, the graduate must start work as an attorney or manager immediately following graduation or the completion of a clerkship.

Does this mean that non-legal jobs can be covered under the program?

Going from the article here on TLS, it seems that there is no salary cap for eligibility. It also looks like it is one of the few that covers unpaid interest rather then just the IBR portion of the loan.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:38 pm

EarlCat wrote:

Depends on your goals.

Can you provide some examples of goals that would be clear-cut cases one way or the other?

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 am

Bumi wrote:
EarlCat wrote:

Depends on your goals.

Can you provide some examples of goals that would be clear-cut cases one way or the other?

If you want to say local and hang a shingle to do grandma's will, you probably don't need an expensive private law school education.

If you want to do biglaw patent prosecution, it's probably worth the investment.

MarkSanchez

Postby MarkSanchez » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:26 am

Do many students go the DA route?

Does NU cap the amount you can take out in federal loans (as in, do they look at your expected family contribution)?

Thanks so much!

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 pm

What is the best/cheapest place to park near the law school (specifically, near Rubloff)?

I'm taking the LSAT at NU Law tomorrow and am not all that familiar with the specific area. I know it's in Streeterville, which means no street parking. Is there a reasonable lot or garage somewhere within a reasonable walking distance?

CTA is an option, but one I'd rather avoid, if at all possible.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:50 pm

MarkSanchez wrote:Do many students go the DA route?

Does NU cap the amount you can take out in federal loans (as in, do they look at your expected family contribution)?

Thanks so much!

My understanding of the federal loan program is that for a school to participate in fed loans, they must use the info from your fasfa, which would include your EFC. The amount of fed loans you can borrow is a factor of the school's cost of attendance and your EFC. If you want to borrow more you'll be looking at private loans.

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:43 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:What is the best/cheapest place to park near the law school (specifically, near Rubloff)?

I'm taking the LSAT at NU Law tomorrow and am not all that familiar with the specific area. I know it's in Streeterville, which means no street parking. Is there a reasonable lot or garage somewhere within a reasonable walking distance?

CTA is an option, but one I'd rather avoid, if at all possible.

Traffic is really bad downtown thanks to the Wacker construction. Fortunately early on a Saturday should be pretty light, but build in some time.

There's no such thing as reasonable parking in the city. A quick google maps search reveals 10+ parking lots near NU campus. I've never driven downtown myself, so I can't speak to if any of them are better/cheaper.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:40 pm

MarkSanchez wrote:Do many students go the DA route?

No idea.

Not sure how federal loans are calculated. I did not have to report any family income info to NU. I know for other need-based aid NU treats every student as independent.

rachmiel

Postby rachmiel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Does the law school have a gym and/or lockers? I will likely be commuting ~20 minutes on the bus, so I'd like to leave some stuff at school if possible.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:12 pm

rachmiel wrote:Does the law school have a gym and/or lockers? I will likely be commuting ~20 minutes on the bus, so I'd like to leave some stuff at school if possible.

We get lockers. You can even get two, one in the library and one in regular area.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:37 pm

I imagine many of you who are paying sticker turned down significant scholarships at lower ranked schools. What swayed you to NU?
Last edited by ArchRoark on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachmiel

Postby rachmiel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rachmiel wrote:Does the law school have a gym and/or lockers? I will likely be commuting ~20 minutes on the bus, so I'd like to leave some stuff at school if possible.

We get lockers. You can even get two, one in the library and one in regular area.

What about gyms? I'd guess the law school doesn't have one, but do we get access to the one(s) at the medical school (the med school is nearby, right?)?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:37 pm

rachmiel wrote:What about gyms? I'd guess the law school doesn't have one, but do we get access to the one(s) at the medical school (the med school is nearby, right?)?

Have you seen this?

rachmiel

Postby rachmiel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Bumi wrote:
rachmiel wrote:What about gyms? I'd guess the law school doesn't have one, but do we get access to the one(s) at the medical school (the med school is nearby, right?)?

Have you seen this?

No, but thank you for the link.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:20 pm

IIRC the membership rate there is cheap. It's also closer to my apartment than the school is. Some apartments have gyms built in also.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:17 pm

The school supplements membership at the River East Club (LinkRemoved) a few blocks from campus. It's around $120/year IIRC, which is a DEEP discount. The club is fairly nice. Lots of machines and free weights and not a lot of having to wait to use stuff. There's also a small pool. It's under new management, and I found the training staff, at least the guy that contacted me, to be rather aggressive in trying to hard-sell you on training packages (I used a trainer there previously, and when the new people showed up I magically had an extra session left over, which turned out to be a big sales pitch.)

Slightly off topic, if you want an excellent trainer in the area, PM me for a recommendation.

lushka

Postby lushka » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 pm

I know this has probably been asked but I didn't see it.... Are graduates without significant work experience at a disadvantage graduationing fron Northwestern with so many other graduates having had that significant work experience? Thanks!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:43 pm

ArchRoark wrote:I imagine many of you who are paying sticker turned down significant scholarships at lower ranked schools. What swayed you to NU?

My 2 main reasons:
1) I want PI/government, so I took a long, hard look at their LRAP.

2) For undergrad I went to the school that gave me the most money, and I hated it there. I always regretted not going somewhere better that I would have enjoyed more.

Also, a lot of the stuff that I'm most interested in is pretty hard to get, so I knew I would have the best shot coming from a T14.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

The lockers are great! I have outfits, several pairs of shoes, books from last semester, whiskey, etc. in mine.

forward

Postby forward » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

The lockers are great! I have outfits, several pairs of shoes, books from last semester, whiskey, etc. in mine.

+1

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”