Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Micdiddy

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 27, 2014 5:46 pm

eschewinganonymity wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
lgleye wrote:Don't remember from last year, but does anyone know when grades come out?

Looked it up and it was June 6th last year when we ended on May 9th. Ended on the 8th this year so same time line would be next Thursday, June 5th.

Our CLR prof said she would release our grades on the 16th... Hopefully she meant the 6th?

She releases it to Student Services and they take a bit of time before they upload it to Caesar...

Correct. So your CLR grades are probably already "released" (assuming she meant may 16th). Our CLR professor thought we all knew our grades beginning of 2nd semester and would remark on who may need to try harder adding a "you know who you are," but none of us did (or possibly we all thoughts she was referring to us because who really tried in CLR anyway?).

dagny05

Postby dagny05 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:52 pm

How much can I expect to spend on books each semester? I typically bought used whenever possible in undergrad and would plan on doing the same at NU.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 27, 2014 8:25 pm

dagny05 wrote:How much can I expect to spend on books each semester? I typically bought used whenever possible in undergrad and would plan on doing the same at NU.

I'd rent all my books whenever possible and by used when not. Iirc correctly I spent around $300 each semester.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
dagny05 wrote:How much can I expect to spend on books each semester? I typically bought used whenever possible in undergrad and would plan on doing the same at NU.

I'd rent all my books whenever possible and by used when not. Iirc correctly I spent around $300 each semester.

Yeah for lowest costs I'd recommend renting on Amazon or at the bookstore or buying used from Amazon.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:34 pm

I got away with less than $200 per semester but if you buy brand new from the bookstore you can easily go over $500.

I'd recommend getting on top of it early. You'll know what books you need either through your syllabus or through the NU official bookstore's website. Check the publishing date. If it's not a brand new edition, congrats. See if you can rent that casebook for less than <$50 online. If not just hold own tight and buy the casebook outright at the SFPIF book sale ($50 per casebook). Pay close attention to the listserv, show up early, and grab your books because they go kind of sort of fast.

Also you can also sometimes get the casebook through interlibrary loan. This is ridiculously cheap and reserved for the poorest of poor students. Like me.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 27, 2014 8:41 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:

I got away with less than $200 per semester but if you buy brand new from the bookstore you can easily go over $500.

I'd recommend getting on top of it early. You'll know what books you need either through your syllabus or through the NU official bookstore's website. Check the publishing date. If it's not a brand new edition, congrats. See if you can rent that casebook for less than <$50 online. If not just hold own tight and buy the casebook outright at the SFPIF book sale ($50 per casebook). Pay close attention to the listserv, show up early, and grab your books because they go kind of sort of fast.

Also you can also sometimes get the casebook through interlibrary loan. This is ridiculously cheap and reserved for the poorest of poor students. Like me.

Casebook gunner.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:53 pm

There's something to be said for just renting from the bookstore. Yeah, you can probably find cheaper prices online from a combination of Amazon and Half and whatever, and you might make some money back by re-selling, but you have the added inconvenience of packaging shit up and mailing it on a deadline. The bookstore lets you reserve rentals online, pick them up in one batch, and drop them off by the last day of exams.

I did the must-find-absolute-cheapest-price and resell thing 1L year and by 2L I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. This term I had one rental from Amazon and the rest rented from the bookstore. Much easier.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 27, 2014 10:07 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
eschewinganonymity wrote:
Cobretti wrote:Our CLR prof said she would release our grades on the 16th... Hopefully she meant the 6th?

She releases it to Student Services and they take a bit of time before they upload it to Caesar...

Correct. So your CLR grades are probably already "released" (assuming she meant may 16th). Our CLR professor thought we all knew our grades beginning of 2nd semester and would remark on who may need to try harder adding a "you know who you are," but none of us did (or possibly we all thoughts she was referring to us because who really tried in CLR anyway?).

should have specified she said june 16th, not may. I'm guessing she meant to say june 6th though.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:22 am

Cobretti wrote:should have specified she said june 16th, not may. I'm guessing she meant to say june 6th though.

Yeah probably a typo. I got my CLR graded memo back a day or two before grades dropped 1L year.

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:36 pm

C
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri May 30, 2014 11:53 am

For the 0Ls/entering 1Ls, the dean just sent out an email this morning claiming the amount of scholarships awarded this year is going to be over double the amount awarded just 2 years ago (as a percent of total tuition). So... drinks on you guys when you get here.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Fri May 30, 2014 11:58 am

Cobretti wrote:For the 0Ls/entering 1Ls, the dean just sent out an email this morning claiming the amount of scholarships awarded this year is going to be over double the amount awarded just 2 years ago (as a percent of total tuition). So... drinks on you guys when you get here.

Unfortunately, no increase in the amount of YRP (as hard as I tried to get them to go unlimited/unlimited). Fortunately, it's still a pretty big chunk of change.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri May 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Soco Law wrote:
Cobretti wrote:For the 0Ls/entering 1Ls, the dean just sent out an email this morning claiming the amount of scholarships awarded this year is going to be over double the amount awarded just 2 years ago (as a percent of total tuition). So... drinks on you guys when you get here.

Unfortunately, no increase in the amount of YRP (as hard as I tried to get them to go unlimited/unlimited). Fortunately, it's still a pretty big chunk of change.

As a YRP recipient I have to say the ~5k/year difference is close enough that you really shouldn't be basing your decision on which school you will graduate with ~20K less debt. Also, any scholarship award you get over 15k/year can offset that to still give you a full ride + BAH. NU has a very active veteran community so don't think refusal to go up to 100% is some sort of snub to vets.

ETA: just remembered who you are, but still relevant for other vets!

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri May 30, 2014 12:09 pm

Also for incoming students... tuition increase next year is gonna be 2.5% according to the email. It still sucks of course, but its the lowest in 50 years. And the Fed says inflation will be 1.5-2.0% in 2015 so pretty close to a wash.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Fri May 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Soco Law wrote:

As a YRP recipient I have to say the ~5k/year difference is close enough that you really shouldn't be basing your decision on which school you will graduate with ~20K less debt. Also, any scholarship award you get over 15k/year can offset that to still give you a full ride + BAH. NU has a very active veteran community so don't think refusal to go up to 100% is some sort of snub to vets.

ETA: just remembered who you are, but still relevant for other vets!

Oh, I agree. I just see that Chicago and Penn are now covering full freight as well, leaving Yale, NU & GU as the only T14 schools that don't. If I'm a school and I realize that I only have to go half on any amount in YRP and all my peers have gone the little extra mile, I think it'd be worth it to me to pony up the extra $2800 to be able to tout "All 100% GI Bill-eligible vets can attend NU tuition-free!"

Still, I'll cede that complaining about almost-free law school is a bit much!

*As to the tuition increase, they've posted the amount for 2014-15 on the website (I think a couple days back).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Cobretti wrote:Also for incoming students... tuition increase next year is gonna be 2.5% according to the email. It still sucks of course, but its the lowest in 50 years. And the Fed says inflation will be 1.5-2.0% in 2015 so pretty close to a wash.

Fuck that. D-Rod deserves 0 props for doing anything other than decreasing tuition.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:Also for incoming students... tuition increase next year is gonna be 2.5% according to the email. It still sucks of course, but its the lowest in 50 years. And the Fed says inflation will be 1.5-2.0% in 2015 so pretty close to a wash.

Fuck that. D-Rod deserves 0 props for doing anything other than decreasing tuition.

This. Attorney wages aren't exactly increasing with inflation, so it's not really a wash.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:33 pm

Raising tuition and then just using to buy someone's LSAT score is an egregious waste of money all so that the school can rank well in a shitty magazine.

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Fri May 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Raising tuition and then just using to buy someone's LSAT score is an egregious waste of money all so that the school can rank well in a shitty magazine.

Raising tuition and then just using it to buy someone's LSAT score is an egregious waste of money, all so that the school can rank well in continue to attract uniformed 0Ls whose primary metric of choice is the opinion of a shitty magazine.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:03 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Raising tuition and then just using to buy someone's LSAT score is an egregious waste of money all so that the school can rank well in a shitty magazine.

Raising tuition and then just using it to buy someone's LSAT score is an egregious waste of money, all so that the school can rank well in continue to attract uniformed 0Ls whose primary metric of choice is the opinion of a shitty magazine.

Eh, Northwestern can easily fill a class if they stopped caring about rank.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:12 pm

bk1 wrote:

This times a million.

bricktemplar

Postby bricktemplar » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:58 pm

This grades wait is killing me. Is it definitively out by this week? It would be horrible to go through another weekend waiting :(

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm

bricktemplar wrote:This grades wait is killing me. Is it definitively out by this week? It would be horrible to go through another weekend waiting :(

There is no "definitely" with this.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm

My CLR professor implied that grades were due from professors today. I expect that we'll see the release soon enough. And by soon enough I mean sometime between today and next weekend.

bricktemplar

Postby bricktemplar » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:16 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:My CLR professor implied that grades were due from professors today. I expect that we'll see the release soon enough. And by soon enough I mean sometime between today and next weekend.

:?

Thanks however

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”