Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cookiejar1

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:14 pm

I moved in with roommates 20/30 minutes away from school without knowing the city at all. It was the right decision. I mean, yeah, it would have been nice to just walk to school . . . but not as nice as <$900/month for rent.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:57 pm

As someone who did their undergrad in Chicago, I had classes at a downtown campus and never lived less than 30 minutes away from the school. I had 8am classes, and classes that ended at 9pm.

With cabs, Uber, the CTA, and a bike, there's no excuse for living in Streeterville. It's not even a real "neighborhood". It's a tiny little cluster of over-priced high rises that have no access to good bars, decent restaurants, or basic shit like grocery stores. Also, how do you feel about tourists? You're going to be bombarded with them every single day, March through November. And if there's ever a parade downtown, you're fucked.

Chicago is packed with neighborhoods within 20 minutes on the CTA (that's 5-10 minutes in a cab, for those of you with $$$) that vastly exceed the quality of Streetville, and will easily cut your rent in half. (I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment in Lakeview (25 minutes to the loop on the CTA) for $900 a month.) Don't be lazy, do the work and actually find somewhere you can afford to live that won't make you hate Chicago with a burning passion. You can cut your "room and board" loans in half, and have a way better time going out at night. So what if you have to take cabs for finals week? Last time I checked, dropping $20-30 bucks for a cab ride (even if it's weekly all 32 weeks of the school year) does not justify doubling your monthly rent.

Be smart. Just say no to Streeterville.

ETA- TL:DR- Would you rather spend an extra $900/month on a shitty apartment in a shitty location, or drop $150/month on cabs, and not have to take out an extra $750/month in loans?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 pm

While I think there's a lot of reasons to live outside of Streeterville, it's at least fair to point out that cabs/Uber/CTA/biking all go the other way (I live in Streeterville and use those things to get to nice restaurants/bars that are further away). But for me, the big reason why I'm in Streeterville is because I know I'm a lazy piece of shit. If I didn't live within 5 minutes of school, I know for a fact I would have gone to far fewer classes than I did and as someone who came in with a crap UGPA I wanted to make sure I avoided some of the things that I did in UG.

There is no 1 size fits all. Some people think the convenience is worth paying more for. Some people don't live here during the summer and thus don't have to deal with tourists. Plus, whether you start in Streeterville or outside of it, you can always change where you live after a year.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:58 pm

It's also really nice to able to go home and change into a suit and come back to campus for an event. Especially 1L when there's a biz-cas or biz-formal event practically every week.

I can roll out of bed, shower, and be on campus in 30 minutes. If I'm on campus and I forgot something (laptop charger, phone, casebook), I can trot home and back in 20 minutes.

I'd rather live close to what I need every day (campus) and travel to the extracurricular/recreational things I don't need every day (bars, restaurants).

Michigan Ave. is tourist central, but you can easily avoid it 99% of the time (you'll cross Michigan to get to the Red Line or whatever, but you only need to spend time ON Michigan if you want to go shopping at those stores). The apartment buildings near campus are off the tourist path.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:06 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:As someone who did their undergrad in Chicago, I had classes at a downtown campus and never lived less than 30 minutes away from the school. I had 8am classes, and classes that ended at 9pm.

With cabs, Uber, the CTA, and a bike, there's no excuse for living in Streeterville. It's not even a real "neighborhood". It's a tiny little cluster of over-priced high rises that have no access to good bars, decent restaurants, or basic shit like grocery stores. Also, how do you feel about tourists? You're going to be bombarded with them every single day, March through November. And if there's ever a parade downtown, you're fucked.

Chicago is packed with neighborhoods within 20 minutes on the CTA (that's 5-10 minutes in a cab, for those of you with $$$) that vastly exceed the quality of Streetville, and will easily cut your rent in half. (I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment in Lakeview (25 minutes to the loop on the CTA) for $900 a month.) Don't be lazy, do the work and actually find somewhere you can afford to live that won't make you hate Chicago with a burning passion. You can cut your "room and board" loans in half, and have a way better time going out at night. So what if you have to take cabs for finals week? Last time I checked, dropping $20-30 bucks for a cab ride (even if it's weekly all 32 weeks of the school year) does not justify doubling your monthly rent.

ETA- TL:DR- Would you rather spend an extra $900/month on a shitty apartment in a shitty location, or drop $150/month on cabs, and not have to take out an extra $750/month in loans?

Lakeview is fine but the question about being 45+ minutes out in the suburbs.

Just to counter that Streeterville is prohibitively expensive: you can find nice, cheaper apartments in Streeterville. I don't know anybody who is paying $1800 a month. I have a nice place and pay around $1200 when you add in internet and electricity. If you just do McClurg/Onterie or BJB places, you'll have the convenience of not hunting for a room, but between using an agent and spending some time looking around different sites, you can find a good apartment in Streeterville.

parkslope

Postby parkslope » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:04 pm

LRGhost wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:As someone who did their undergrad in Chicago, I had classes at a downtown campus and never lived less than 30 minutes away from the school. I had 8am classes, and classes that ended at 9pm.

Just to counter that Streeterville is prohibitively expensive: you can find nice, cheaper apartments in Streeterville. I don't know anybody who is paying $1800 a month. I have a nice place and pay around $1200 when you add in internet and electricity. If you just do McClurg/Onterie or BJB places, you'll have the convenience of not hunting for a room, but between using an agent and spending some time looking around different sites, you can find a good apartment in Streeterville.

Agreed on this. I don't know anyone who pays $1800 a month in Streeterville unless s/he wanted something swanky. Look at buildings like The Seneca, 211 East Delaware, 25 Elm, 860 Dewitt. There are also a couple of buildings on Elm that are cheap. You may not pay $900, but you can easily find something in the $1200ish range. I pay $1300 with everything included and am happy. The spread between Streeterville and non-Streeterville is not nearly as large as people think.

M458

Postby M458 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:24 pm

parkslope wrote:
LRGhost wrote:

Agreed on this. I don't know anyone who pays $1800 a month in Streeterville unless s/he wanted something swanky. Look at buildings like The Seneca, 211 East Delaware, 25 Elm, 860 Dewitt. There are also a couple of buildings on Elm that are cheap. You may not pay $900, but you can easily find something in the $1200ish range. I pay $1300 with everything included and am happy. The spread between Streeterville and non-Streeterville is not nearly as large as people think.

Think it depends on how you define that spread. You can get a decent studio in Lakeview for around $850...that's a $350 difference in comparison to that $1200ish range you mentioned. Over a whole year that comes out to over $4k. I'm not saying there's a right answer as to Streeterville/non-Streeterville (if you're coming in from outside the area, I certainly understand wanting proximity, and the convenience definitely does have a substantial value), I just think the savings aren't a negligible amount.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Just to throw a wrench into this entire living analysis: they DO have showers in the basement :lol: :lol:

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:23 pm

zugzwanger wrote:Just to throw a wrench into this entire living analysis: they DO have showers in the basement :lol: :lol:

With doors that don't lock and are kind of transparent.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Flips88 wrote:
zugzwanger wrote:Just to throw a wrench into this entire living analysis: they DO have showers in the basement :lol: :lol:

Prude.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:29 pm

Flips88 wrote:

I don't we have to worry about shower rape at Northwestern. I took showers there. It's actually really nice.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:31 pm

yeah the showers in the basements are nicer than the ones in most apartments... just be on notice if you try to take a shower late at night.. there may be going ons a going on.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:00 pm

splitsplat wrote:yeah the showers in the basements are nicer than the ones in most apartments... just be on notice if you try to take a shower late at night.. there may be going ons a going on.

some people live drastically different lives than i do :/

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu May 01, 2014 10:10 am

Dr. Filth wrote:
splitsplat wrote:yeah the showers in the basements are nicer than the ones in most apartments... just be on notice if you try to take a shower late at night.. there may be going ons a going on.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu May 01, 2014 10:16 am

Dr. Filth wrote:

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 am

rayiner wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:

I have a lot of sex in public showers. Who doesn't?

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:35 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I don't we have to worry about shower rape at Northwestern. I took showers there. It's actually really nice.

Ooo! Thanks for the heads up!

Also, how's the campus wifi?

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:38 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Ooo! Thanks for the heads up!

Also, how's the campus wifi?

I'm a year out so maybe its better (lol no way) but it's like trying to play telephone with a deaf dumb and blind person who doesn't speak english.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:Also, how's the campus wifi?

I'm a year out so maybe its better (lol no way) but it's like trying to play telephone with a deaf dumb and blind person who doesn't speak english.

Eh? It's a bit more complex to set up because of security protocols and whatever, but it's fast (and they give you instructions). The were some glitches at the beginning of the year but I haven't had any trouble with it in recent months.
NUPrint, otoh... :evil:

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu May 01, 2014 2:11 pm

I get randomly disconnected from the wifi a lot actually. It's not normally a big deal because it only takes like 10 seconds to log back in, but it can pop up at some pretty inconvenient moments (like when I'm buying something online instead of taking notes).

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:44 pm

I've had problems with the internet but it's no worse than the occasional problems that you'd get in Undergrad / Work. You get disconnected every once in a while but it's usually no harm done.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Thu May 01, 2014 10:12 pm

will i be the only weird person keeping a suit in a campus locker for ls events?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:24 pm

whereskyle wrote:will i be the only weird person keeping a suit in a campus locker for ls events?

I think most people just wear them all day on an event day if they don't live nearby.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:55 am

I've only had two interactions with CSO, and all ready, I understand why they have the reputation they do.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri May 02, 2014 12:46 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:I've only had two interactions with CSO, and all ready, I understand why they have the reputation they do.

I feel like this is true of a lot of members of the administration, actually. I've been dealing with some issues w/r/t paperwork for my job this summer, and emailed a few members of the administration for help. First, they pulled me into one of their offices basically to just lecture me on the semantics of my email (I used hyperbolic language at one point) and make me feel like a child, then when I emailed them saying I had a time sensitive, needs to be done in the next 5 days, issue they still havent responded (it's been a few days). It's really frustrating.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”