Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Snape

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Snape » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:41 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Snape wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Snape wrote:Thanks! Does anybody ever actually get and F/D (even C) at NU?

I got a D in state and local. Ended up with a GPA of 3.64 because of it. LOL at me.

With Elrod!? What happened?

A bunch of different shit. I was almost never at school for a while after a breakup, cancer scare, and a bunch of other shit. They noticed my absence. Couple that with a horribly written exam, and you get a D. I can't really push it on them.

Ah, sorry bout that. Makes sense but in the end, Ds get degrees!

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:43 pm

D's only barely miss you cum laude apparently. lol northwestern.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:48 pm

I just want to voice a quick point of opposition to all the "NU students are wonderful." The overwhelming majority of people I interact with are normal, decent human beings. But you're kidding yourself if you think everyone shares outlines, notes, and is open to inclusion in study groups. I'm not making a value judgment on such behavior but this exists and it's more prevalent than you think. That said, it exists everywhere. I also think that by and large, the student body across law schools are fairly similar. The overwhelming majority of people at the overwhelming majority of law schools are going to be cool, smart people who want to enjoy their three years in school.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:54 pm

LRGhost wrote:I just want to voice a quick point of opposition to all the "NU students are wonderful." The overwhelming majority of people I interact with are normal, decent human beings. But you're kidding yourself if you think everyone shares outlines, notes, and is open to inclusion in study groups. I'm not making a value judgment on such behavior but this exists and it's more prevalent than you think. That said, it exists everywhere. I also think that by and large, the student body across law schools are fairly similar. The overwhelming majority of people at the overwhelming majority of law schools are going to be cool, smart people who want to enjoy their three years in school.

dat northwestern mediocrity

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:20 pm

LRGhost wrote:I just want to voice a quick point of opposition to all the "NU students are wonderful." The overwhelming majority of people I interact with are normal, decent human beings. But you're kidding yourself if you think everyone shares outlines, notes, and is open to inclusion in study groups. I'm not making a value judgment on such behavior but this exists and it's more prevalent than you think. That said, it exists everywhere. I also think that by and large, the student body across law schools are fairly similar. The overwhelming majority of people at the overwhelming majority of law schools are going to be cool, smart people who want to enjoy their three years in school.

Aren't you in section 1 (could be wrong about this)? I can't think of a single person I couldn't go up to and ask to study with who would say no.
Obviously section 4 is different because they're gunner AF. And who knows with section 3 I know like 6 people in that section.

terriers

Postby terriers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:24 pm

lgleye wrote:Guys, I just received an "invitation" to publish for my secondary journal.(Don't know why.....I'm the ultimate slacker). Apparently, this work will be during the 3L year. If I accept, what's the workload equivalent to? a course?

Excellent humble brag.

I don't understand the extra work of publication unless you're trying to clerk or go into academia though.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:40 pm

Micdiddy wrote:

Aren't you in section 1 (could be wrong about this)? I can't think of a single person I couldn't go up to and ask to study with who would say no.
Obviously section 4 is different because they're gunner AF. And who knows with section 3 I know like 6 people in that section.

Who is John Galt section 3?

terriers

Postby terriers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:43 pm

lgleye wrote:
terriers wrote:
lgleye wrote:Guys, I just received an "invitation" to publish for my secondary journal.(Don't know why.....I'm the ultimate slacker). Apparently, this work will be during the 3L year. If I accept, what's the workload equivalent to? a course?

Excellent humble brag.

I don't understand the extra work of publication unless you're trying to clerk or go into academia though.

Not a brag at all, just astonishment. In fact, my opinion of my journal just hit the shits because of this invite. But I get that you mean that publishing means jack when it comes to Biglaw?

Haha, was just being a little sarcastic. I just have trouble believing that a client/partner is going to say, "oh, that new associate got published for writing about customary property law in Nepal? Get him on this deal/case pronto!", but who knows, I don't have any experience with it either way.

Unrelated, writing "customary" and "law" in the same sentence gave me PTSD flashbacks to Western Legal Tradition, what a nightmare.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:54 pm

I totally agree with LRGhost. Most people can be awesome. Some people can be shitty. Law school is law school.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:I totally agree with LRGhost. Most people can be awesome. Some people can be shitty. Law school is law school.

You suck.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:I totally agree with LRGhost. Most people can be awesome. Some people can be shitty. Law school is law school.

You suck.

+1

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Micdiddy wrote:

I want to argue this but I'm too busy outlining

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:56 pm

lgleye wrote:
terriers wrote:Haha, was just being a little sarcastic. I just have trouble believing that a client/partner is going to say, "oh, that new associate got published for writing about customary property law in Nepal? Get him on this deal/case pronto!", but who knows, I don't have any experience with it either way.

Unrelated, writing "customary" and "law" in the same sentence gave me PTSD flashbacks to Western Legal Tradition, what a nightmare.

Okay, that's it. I ain't doing it. 3L is just to0 valuable to waste on writing for nothing.

Careful. At my interview for the firm I'm going to next year, the managing partner asked me: "so you were on JTIP, but didn't get your note published?" I had, and he just missed the last line of my resume, but he definitely cared.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:25 pm

rayiner wrote:
lgleye wrote:
terriers wrote:Haha, was just being a little sarcastic. I just have trouble believing that a client/partner is going to say, "oh, that new associate got published for writing about customary property law in Nepal? Get him on this deal/case pronto!", but who knows, I don't have any experience with it either way.

Okay, that's it. I ain't doing it. 3L is just to0 valuable to waste on writing for nothing.

Careful. At my interview for the firm I'm going to next year, the managing partner asked me: "so you were on JTIP, but didn't get your note published?" I had, and he just missed the last line of my resume, but he definitely cared.

lol @ botiques. Virtually nobody is going to care about it.

That said, is it even any work once you already did it?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:33 pm

lgleye wrote:
rayiner wrote:
lgleye wrote:Okay, that's it. I ain't doing it. 3L is just to0 valuable to waste on writing for nothing.

But then again, this begs the question, "How much work was it to get your note published?"

Edit: I take it that you're going into IP, so JTIP has some significance. There's no secondary for corporate law.

Isn't that JILB?

It wasn't much work. Just another round of polishing and cite checking. Equivalent to maybe one source and cite assignment.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:31 pm

So I was thinking today how much of a horrible day it is to give tours for prospective students. So here is our basement, somebody puked here last night and the smell is still floating around--don't mind it, our apologies. Oh and here is Thorne Lobby, please ignore the gigantic frightening shattered glass--the school is very safe.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:43 pm

I missed the shatter glass. On the plus side the puke is right in front of my locker. 99% sure it was Dr. Filth (he who smelt it puked it).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:34 pm

zugzwanger wrote:So I was thinking today how much of a horrible day it is to give tours for prospective students. So here is our basement, somebody puked here last night and the smell is still floating around--don't mind it, our apologies. Oh and here is Thorne Lobby, please ignore the gigantic frightening shattered glass--the school is very safe.

I gave a tour today. I didn't go deep enough into the locker area to smell anything, and I don't show Thorne Lobby on my tours (glass was broken there too??) but it was a bit of a shock to show the visitor the first floor of the library and see two giant shattered windows by the study tables. What the fuck happened? Did someone shoot at the building?

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I missed the shatter glass. On the plus side the puke is right in front of my locker. 99% sure it was Dr. Filth (he who smelt it puked it).

i dont actually drink, so it wasn't me.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:04 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I missed the shatter glass. On the plus side the puke is right in front of my locker. 99% sure it was Dr. Filth (he who smelt it puked it).

You headbutted the windows though, don't lie.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:13 pm

LRGhost wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:

You headbutted the windows though, don't lie.

So apparently it was "stray bullets" late last night. Am I the only one who thinks it's really weird that there wasn't any kind of email about that?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”