Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
patentThis

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby patentThis » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:02 pm

bjsesq wrote:
patentThis wrote:Why are the Abbott Hall 2 Bed room apartments 1325 per month (everything else 2BR is 2200+)? Anyone know where I can find a floor plan of said apartments.

--LinkRemoved--
Best I could find for you. From what I've heard, the places in Abbott are not the grandest digs.

Yeah, it appears I will need to visit to have any idea of the quality / size. They are definitely at a nice price point.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:37 pm

Anyone have any info on Worcester House, the apartment building by campus owned by the NU medical school?

forward

Postby forward » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:17 pm

NU says the atmosphere is very collegial. Have you found that to be true in your experience? Do people freely share notes? Do books go missing in the library? etc.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:36 pm

forward wrote:NU says the atmosphere is very collegial. Have you found that to be true in your experience? Do people freely share notes? Do books go missing in the library? etc.

I would say the atmosphere is very collegial. People seem to be willing to give notes and share outlines or other materials. I know people that have missed class and received the notes emailed to them without asking for them. Someone in my section who injured her arm so she can't take notes just gets into a google document with another classmate and uses the notes that the classmate types up.

I have never heard of books going missing in the library or people ripping pages out. Then again, I never check out books or supplements from the library.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Although there are quite a few Laptop threads, I'm curious as to NU specific experiences/recommendations regarding a laptop during law school.

Currently have a 14.1 inch Sony, but it's almost two years old and I'm starting to notice battery rundown. I'm considering the following options:

1) Keep the Sony and buy a new battery down the line (Pros: it functions well enough, the processor is used in the current 13in macbook pros. Cons: Pretty heavy and thick for a 14in, like 6lbs, and even a new battery would give me maybe 4 hours between charges)

2) Give in an buy a 13inch macbook pro (Pros: appears to be the lightest option with the longest battery life available. Cons: It will probably perform the same as my current laptop if not slower, it's more expensive, and I really don't want to be a Mac person)

3) Open to suggestions on a new PC laptop that's lightweight with long battery life, preferably under $1000.

Factors: I'm mainly thinking of this thing for class, so no need for it to be tip-top performance-wise, mainly considering portability.

Questions:

How convenient are outlets etc both inside and out of class, and how big of an issue would/will battery life really be? Are most exams done on laptops and how's the mac compatibility in this regard. Any other advice/observations/considerations?
Last edited by Flustercluck on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 pm

patentThis wrote:Why are the Abbott Hall 2 Bed room apartments 1325 per month (everything else 2BR is 2200+)? Anyone know where I can find a floor plan of said apartments.

My question is, how are you/am I going to afford housing on the budget? I found a lot of great, cheap places on craigslist, but it's impossible for me to be in Chicago to hunt/sign a lease before August 15, when there will likely be nothing available. The recommended free realty service will sign the lease for you, but their cheapest of places is over $900/month. I'm planning to stretch my loans to cover the 12 months, so that leaves only $100/month for utilities, food, and everything...

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:48 am

Flustercluck wrote:Although there are quite a few Laptop threads, I'm curious as to NU specific experiences/recommendations regarding a laptop during law school.

Currently have a 14.1 inch Sony, but it's almost two years old and I'm starting to notice battery rundown. I'm considering the following options:

1) Keep the Sony and buy a new battery down the line (Pros: it functions well enough, the processor is used in the current 13in macbook pros. Cons: Pretty heavy and thick for a 14in, like 6lbs, and even a new battery would give me maybe 4 hours between charges)

2) Give in an buy a 13inch macbook pro (Pros: appears to be the lightest option with the longest battery life available. Cons: It will probably perform the same as my current laptop if not slower, it's more expensive, and I really don't want to be a Mac person)

3) Open to suggestions on a new PC laptop that's lightweight with long battery life, preferably under $1000.

Factors: I'm mainly thinking of this thing for class, so no need for it to be tip-top performance-wise, mainly considering portability.

Questions:

How convenient are outlets etc both inside and out of class, and how big of an issue would/will battery life really be? Are most exams done on laptops and how's the mac compatibility in this regard. Any other advice/observations/considerations?

All of the 1L classrooms have an outlet per seat so that is not an issue. The library and the atrium (which are the two main places students congregate outside of class also have quite a few outlets. You may run into an issue if you take classes in the old building (Levy Mayer) because there is not access to outlets there.

I know a lot of people that have Macs. The first year exams are just taken on your own computer with no exam software so as long as you have word you will be fine. I have also heard that if you do have a class with exam software that the software is compatible with Macs so it shouldn't be an issue.

Personally, I use a netbook at school to take notes. It has really long battery life and is very portable. Then I have a laptop that I keep at home and bring to school only if I am taking an exam or and going to be writing a memo or something. I use Dropbox.com to backup all my files and to copy and changes made on one computer to the other. I works really well for me.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:05 pm

I posted this in the applicant thread, but you guys might have a better answer :)

Did any of you submit a travel subsidy request for ASW? Do you know what percentage of people actually get a portion of the subsidy? Seems like a complicated process.

Edit: i know you need to be > 300 miles and the cheapest flight needs to be > $200.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:49 pm

I challenge 1 of you (or all of you current students) to break into the finaid office, find my application and stamp "Approved, Full-Ride" on it.

forward

Postby forward » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:15 pm

homestyle28 wrote:I challenge 1 of you (or all of you current students) to break into the finaid office, find my application and stamp "Approved, Full-Ride" on it.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:18 pm

forward wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:I challenge 1 of you (or all of you current students) to break into the finaid office, find my application and stamp "Approved, Full-Ride" on it.

Well, do mine first in case you get caught.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
forward wrote:

Not sure stamping that would do anything, but I'll try. I'll look for one titled homestyle28.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:45 pm

forward wrote:NU says the atmosphere is very collegial. Have you found that to be true in your experience?

Absolutely 100%.

Flustercluck wrote:How convenient are outlets etc both inside and out of class, and how big of an issue would/will battery life really be? Are most exams done on laptops and how's the mac compatibility in this regard. Any other advice/observations/considerations?

You won't have any problems with outlets except for a handful of classes in Levy Mayer (the old building). Most of those are upper-level classes that meet for short periods, so it's not a big deal. If you have a class there, just make sure you have a good charge before class.

BTW, just ignore NU's laptop recommendations and buy what is good for you. There is no proprietary test-taking software or anything like that. They're just trying to get you to buy a laptop through their program at inflated prices.

Eugenie Danglars wrote:My question is, how are you/am I going to afford housing on the budget? I found a lot of great, cheap places on craigslist, but it's impossible for me to be in Chicago to hunt/sign a lease before August 15, when there will likely be nothing available. The recommended free realty service will sign the lease for you, but their cheapest of places is over $900/month. I'm planning to stretch my loans to cover the 12 months, so that leaves only $100/month for utilities, food, and everything...

You can do it, just watch your spending. Ditch your car (you won't need it) and don't buy new clothes, televisions, phones, and lobster dinners. I live about 3 blocks from the school and have had no trouble keeping up with rent and bills and other expenses using only my student loans. I'm not living like a king, but I'm not starving.

BTW, when StudentSpace tells you you'll get $100 for dropping their name, don't believe them. :x
Last edited by EarlCat on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:48 pm

EarlCat wrote:You can do it, just watch your spending. Ditch your car (you won't need it) and don't buy new clothes, televisions, phones, and lobster dinners. I live about 3 blocks from the school and have had no trouble keeping up with rent and bills and other expenses using only my student loans. I'm not living like a king, but I'm not starving.

Does your complex have a website? I'm apartment searching...

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:52 pm

dddhhh wrote:Does your complex have a website? I'm apartment searching...

PM sent.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
forward wrote:

Not sure stamping that would do anything, but I'll try. I'll look for one titled homestyle28.

It's a weird name I know, my parents were hippies.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:16 pm

EarlCat wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:My question is, how are you/am I going to afford housing on the budget? I found a lot of great, cheap places on craigslist, but it's impossible for me to be in Chicago to hunt/sign a lease before August 15, when there will likely be nothing available. The recommended free realty service will sign the lease for you, but their cheapest of places is over $900/month. I'm planning to stretch my loans to cover the 12 months, so that leaves only $100/month for utilities, food, and everything...

You can do it, just watch your spending. Ditch your car (you won't need it) and don't buy new clothes, televisions, phones, and lobster dinners. I live about 3 blocks from the school and have had no trouble keeping up with rent and bills and other expenses using only my student loans. I'm not living like a king, but I'm not starving.

BTW, when StudentSpace tells you you'll get $100 for dropping their name, don't believe them. :x

Yeah, thanks for the info. My best friend lives in Chicago and has a sweet place for $500 something a month, and it's a 20 min ride to the law school. Unfortunately, he's moving, or I'd just move in with him. Perhaps I can find another (non-student space) way to lease remotely...

ChuckSchick

Postby ChuckSchick » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:19 pm

Recently admitted student here. I'm only one year out of undergrad with limited w/e. NU obviously sounds like a great place, but do you think being so soon out of UG compared to the rest of the student body (and younger, for that matter), would be a disadvantage? Just trying to get a sense of the schools culture compared to other places which have a younger student body.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:00 pm

ChuckSchick wrote:Recently admitted student here. I'm only one year out of undergrad with limited w/e. NU obviously sounds like a great place, but do you think being so soon out of UG compared to the rest of the student body (and younger, for that matter), would be a disadvantage? Just trying to get a sense of the schools culture compared to other places which have a younger student body.

There are many students (a third, maybe?) with only one year out of UG, and a handful who went straight through. Once you're admitted, I don't see any disadvantage either way.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:14 pm

ChuckSchick wrote:I'm only one year out of undergrad with limited w/e. NU obviously sounds like a great place, but do you think being so soon out of UG compared to the rest of the student body (and younger, for that matter), would be a disadvantage?

I found that I was at a significant disadvantage when I was just one year out of undergrad, because most women my age wanted to date older dudes but all the girls a year or three younger than me were still in college. YMMV.

Wait, are you asking about dating, or about grades?

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:01 am

tagged

Horsefeathers

Postby Horsefeathers » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks for fielding questions.

I hope this question hasn't already been asked and answered.....because that would be embarassing...but I'll give it a go:

I understand that NW generally offers money to median-protectors, but what about a true splitter (3.19 and a 173) with a really shitty financial situation, no personal or family assets at all, and undergrad debt? Any chance?

Is merit in NW equation reducible to median-protecting numbers? Might a strong essay actually help? I'm wondering whether the combined merit-need award format means that NW just has free reign to give money to whoever they'd most like to induce to attend, or whether a true demonstrated need can outweigh a lackluster academic record?

This might be beyond your purview, but any insight would be greatly appreciated!

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Horsefeathers wrote:I understand that NW generally offers money to median-protectors, but what about a true splitter (3.19 and a 173) with a really shitty financial situation, no personal or family assets at all, and undergrad debt? Any chance?

I know a splitter with very similar numbers and a really good scholarship.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:16 pm

EarlCat wrote:
Horsefeathers wrote:I understand that NW generally offers money to median-protectors, but what about a true splitter (3.19 and a 173) with a really shitty financial situation, no personal or family assets at all, and undergrad debt? Any chance?

well that makes me hopeful

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:36 am

homestyle28 wrote:
EarlCat wrote:

well that makes me hopeful

As a splitter with almost exactly the same numbers, I'll call it double-hopeful. Come on, full ride! A man's gotta dream...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”