Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
splitsplat

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby splitsplat » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
luuma wrote:If I want to strengthen my writing skills, what are some classes/workshops/organizations/etc that NU can offer? Thanks so much!

Advanced CLR or whatever they call the elective sequel to that shitshow. And may god have mercy on your soul.

upper level writing classes like rink mentioned
journal and try to get your note/comment published
most moot court competitions have brief components
take seminars that let you do 3 draft papers

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
luuma wrote:If I want to strengthen my writing skills, what are some classes/workshops/organizations/etc that NU can offer? Thanks so much!

Advanced CLR or whatever they call the elective sequel to that shitshow. And may god have mercy on your soul.

Effective Legal Writing with Provenzano is a really great class.

Infinitely better than CLR.

luuma

Postby luuma » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:01 pm

Wow perfect, thank you! Any workshops or organizations (other than journal)? Are there other electives for writing, other than advanced CLR that you'd recommend?

burtmacklin

Postby burtmacklin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Since the reputation for NU is that it is splitter/super-splitter friendly, was anyone in here one of those candidates and how are you finding yourself doing at NU? Sorry if this has already been discussed at length here, 289 pages is a lot to look through lol
Last edited by burtmacklin on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luuma

Postby luuma » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 pm

burtmacklin wrote:Since the reputation for NU is that it is splitter/super-splitter friendly, was anyone in here one of those candidates and how are you finding yourself doing at NU? Sorry if this has already been discussed at length here, 298 pages is a lot to look through lol

Agreed on this.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm

There's like 84 billion splitters in here. Some of us are at the top of the class, some of us are at the bottom. Some of us love every moment of law school, some of us don't. It's useless as a predictor of anything.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:There's like 84 billion splitters in here. Some of us are at the top of the class, some of us are at the bottom. Some of us love every moment of law school, some of us don't. It's useless as a predictor of anything.

Pretty much this.

Also as you guys will realize no one knows what anyone else's numbers are. The only people whose gpa and LSAT I know are people who posted them on TLS during the cycle.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:34 pm

1. Since the person asking is a 0L: I'm sure that every school has advanced writing courses that you can take advantage and that NU isn't any different in that regard. I'll also say that you may not want to take any more writing classes after 1L (I know I sure as shit didn't).

2. Splitters end up at every point in the curve, I don't think there is any definite trend. I will say that I have my suspicion from anecdotal evidence that splitters are more likely to end up at the very edges of the curve, both top and bottom. I think that splitters, for the most part, got shitty UG grades because they were lazy and if they fix that laziness they tend to do very well and if they don't they tend to do very poorly. Of course this is just a hunch on my part, is no guarantee for anything, and even if true there'd be no way for you to guarantee that you would be the splitter who stopped being lazy since you easily could stay lazy no matter how much you convince yourself you won't let that happen.

holly45

Postby holly45 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:49 am

1. Are there on campus housing options for 1Ls?

2. Biglaw in CA is my ultimate goal, does going to NU make sense? I have yet to receive my scholly offers from anywhere as of yet.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:05 am

holly45 wrote:1. Are there on campus housing options for 1Ls?

2. Biglaw in CA is my ultimate goal, does going to NU make sense? I have yet to receive my scholly offers from anywhere as of yet.

1. No
2. Less than half of NU grads stay in Chicago. A big chunk go to NY, and the next big chunk goes to CA.

If you have good reason for wanting to be in California and good grades, it's definitely doable to get back to CA.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/
very bottom has the geographic distribution of jerbs.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:05 am

holly45 wrote:1. Are there on campus housing options for 1Ls?

1. No, but there is plenty of housing nearby.

2. If you aren't willing to do biglaw anywhere else then I probably wouldn't go anywhere except HYS/B since CA biglaw is decently possible but not a likely (>50%) outcome. If you are willing to accept NYC biglaw as a backup then sure.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:19 am

Micdiddy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:There's like 84 billion splitters in here. Some of us are at the top of the class, some of us are at the bottom. Some of us love every moment of law school, some of us don't. It's useless as a predictor of anything.

Pretty much this.

Also as you guys will realize no one knows what anyone else's numbers are. The only people whose gpa and LSAT I know are people who posted them on TLS during the cycle.

hey now. I'm proud of my prestigious ug, ug gpa and major. I will gladly share with anyone.

edit: also no one talks about what they got on their LSAT, and people don't talk about grades. kinda hard to know where splitters end up, even anecdotally

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:18 pm

burtmacklin wrote:Since the reputation for NU is that it is splitter/super-splitter friendly, was anyone in here one of those candidates and how are you finding yourself doing at NU?

My strategy has been to think of what I would do in undergrad, and then do the opposite of that in law school. So I go to class, do work, talk to profs, etc. Has worked well for me so far.

d cooper

Postby d cooper » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:36 pm

Bumi wrote:
burtmacklin wrote:Since the reputation for NU is that it is splitter/super-splitter friendly, was anyone in here one of those candidates and how are you finding yourself doing at NU?

My strategy has been to think of what I would do in undergrad, and then do the opposite of that in law school. So I go to class, do work, talk to profs, etc. Has worked well for me so far.

:lol:

Pishee77

Postby Pishee77 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:25 pm

This might have already been addressed but looking back... Would you choose to go to NU again over your other options? If so, why?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Pishee77 wrote:This might have already been addressed but looking back... Would you choose to go to NU again over your other options? If so, why?

No. I didn't end up getting biglaw and probably could have still gotten this job with a full ride at WUSTL. But there is no way I could ever know that before hand, and given my options, NU was the best choice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Pishee77 wrote:This might have already been addressed but looking back... Would you choose to go to NU again over your other options? If so, why?

I've had things turn out well (so far) for me, but I still have sticker price debt that I'll have to start paying off in a few months. I'm not sure I can answer whether I'm happy with the decision until 5 or so years out.

MonsterTRM

Postby MonsterTRM » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Does anyone know when Spring intercession grades come out? Are they released with Spring grades? Or should I expect it sooner?

Pishee77

Postby Pishee77 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:27 am

bjsesq wrote:

No. I didn't end up getting biglaw and probably could have still gotten this job with a full ride at WUSTL. But there is no way I could ever know that before hand, and given my options, NU was the best choice.

I'm sorry to hear that. Not to be rude but do you think grades were a factor for not getting big law or something else about the school?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:22 am

Pishee77 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. Not to be rude but do you think grades were a factor for not getting big law or something else about the school?

His 2L firm no-offered 30% (I think it was) of his class.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:39 am

I would. I was choosing between NU and Chicago and ultimately chose NU because it felt like a better fit. Things have turned out well so far, but I think you also need to go into law school with fear about your job situation - which will hopefully force you to hustle your ass off to get a job (whether it be biglaw or something else). Some factors you just can't control, like if your firm decides to no offer a big portion of the summer class. But I'm happy about my decision to come to NU so far - it's turned out like I expected: good community, interesting classes and opportunities to take advantage of, lots of employers come to recruit. Every school is going to have its negatives but so far, the positives have outweighed any negatives for me.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:57 am

Pishee77 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I opened it up to discussion, so asking about it is not rude.

rinkrat19 wrote:
Pishee77 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

His 2L firm no-offered 30% (I think it was) of his class.

And mostly lit, too. It happened. I really need to get over it, but I admit I am still bitter about how it went down.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:01 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:05 pm

lgleye wrote:Sorry, man, you've a right to be bitter. What shit firm was that? Kasowitz? At least you'll have a biglaw SA on your resume going into 3L OCI, coupled with the strong explanation of the mass no-offer at the firm. Good Luck.

Dude. He was class of '13.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:09 pm

lgleye wrote:Sorry, man, you've a right to be bitter. What shit firm was that? Kasowitz? At least you'll have a biglaw SA on your resume going into 3L OCI, coupled with the strong explanation of the mass no-offer at the firm. Good Luck.

Winston and Strawn. I've graduated, but I ended up getting a decent job. I am doing ok, dooder. Just butthurt.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”