Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
yackob

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby yackob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Anyone have an outline for Law and Social Change?

chappeg

Postby chappeg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Are there any Mid/South Atlantic/East Coast recruiters that visit NU? I have been accepted at NU and really want to attend due to their overall fit with my background and their JD-MBA program, but I would like to return to the East Coast after law school (speaking more in terms of the Southeast from DC on down to FL, not NYC). From your experience, would I have some placement opportunities in this region? Thanks for your input on this.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:52 pm

chappeg wrote:Are there any Mid/South Atlantic/East Coast recruiters that visit NU? I have been accepted at NU and really want to attend due to their overall fit with my background and their JD-MBA program, but I would like to return to the East Coast after law school (speaking more in terms of the Southeast from DC on down to FL, not NYC). From your experience, would I have some placement opportunities in this region? Thanks for your input on this.

Yes. People get jobs in the south from NU, I believe some recruiters visit, but you might have to do a little more leg-work than someone who just wants NYC/CHI/DC. I know people going to Atlanta and Miami.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:05 pm

chappeg wrote:Are there any Mid/South Atlantic/East Coast recruiters that visit NU? I have been accepted at NU and really want to attend due to their overall fit with my background and their JD-MBA program, but I would like to return to the East Coast after law school (speaking more in terms of the Southeast from DC on down to FL, not NYC). From your experience, would I have some placement opportunities in this region? Thanks for your input on this.

All the major southeastern firms recruit at NU, although many of the mid-sized NALP firms do not.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:22 pm

You can search for which law firms/offices recruit at NU's OCI here. Enter any search criteria you like on the first screen and then on the results screen filter by "Campus Interviews" and select Northwestern.

There are definitely a good amount of DC firms at NU. There are also a decent amount from Florida and other places in the South. IIRC, the competition for getting Mid/South Atlantic interviews at OCI is not that high making it relatively easy to get interviews from those firms. That said, I doubt NU is significantly any better or worse than other non-UVA/Duke/GULC T14s in terms of the number of firms from this area and the ability to snag interviews with them.

chappeg

Postby chappeg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm in the end stages of making a decision, and just needed to hear some reassurance that there would at least be some opportunities outside of CHI/NYC. Much appreciated.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:31 pm

lol@listserv

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Cobretti wrote:lol@listserv

+1.

I mean the way to recruit people is definitely to insult them. Not like say, go to the environmental law class to talk to 1Ls who might actually care about the club.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:51 pm

feralinfant wrote:

+1.

I mean the way to recruit people is definitely to insult them. Not like say, go to the environmental law class to talk to 1Ls who might actually care about the club.

after how many times we've heard how much we suck, is anyone seriously upset about hearing it one more time? c'mon

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

+1.

after how many times we've heard how much we suck, is anyone seriously upset about hearing it one more time? c'mon

classic 1L apathy. try to care a little more.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:00 pm

What happened?

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What happened?

Some club president sent out an email for board applications. opened with a line about how 1L's need to stop being so lame. petty back and forth ensued.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:02 pm

feralinfant wrote:

Some club president sent out an email for board applications. opened with a line about how 1L's need to stop being so lame. petty back and forth ensued.

1Ls are always lame, but that just bad recruiting.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:39 pm

Can't 2Ls also just run for board positions? Also, if no one cares about the club other than graduating students, that's a good sign the club should cease to exist.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:07 pm

the form of the message was poor, but the substance of it is really pretty accurate. quite a few (good and bad) organizations have had trouble getting people to run for positions.

also, the less active school groups on campus, the less free food there is- so that is a loss for everyone. i dont know why 1Ls arent stepping up to the plate. even if you dont really care about the organization, it's another good line item on your resume.

psa: firms like seeing students involved in multiple orgs doing shit.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

1Ls are always lame, but that just bad recruiting.

It was pretty clearly a joke.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:22 pm

splitsplat wrote:the form of the message was poor, but the substance of it is really pretty accurate. quite a few (good and bad) organizations have had trouble getting people to run for positions.

also, the less active school groups on campus, the less free food there is- so that is a loss for everyone. i dont know why 1Ls arent stepping up to the plate. even if you dont really care about the organization, it's another good line item on your resume.

This is another one of those mixed messages things. Yes it looks good on a resume to be on the board of something, but many people have complained about people on the board of a club just trying to resume pad and how they don't want their future board to be like that. I think it's still something a lot of 1ls are doing, but maybe not to the same extreme as other years.

Honestly I think the dialogue is ineffective because neither side really understands the other. If upperclassmen (and OCS) think our class is a bunch of lazy, ignorant people not worried about getting a job then all attempts to talk with is will fail because I can guarantee we don't see ourselves that way (quite the opposite in fact).
The more likely explanation is that our student body is not significantly different from last year or the year before, but something external has changed. A solution would be to find that external factor and "fix" it (assuming there is something wrong to begin with, which is also debatable).

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Can't 2Ls also just run for board positions? Also, if no one cares about the club other than graduating students, that's a good sign the club should cease to exist.

The presidents and boards (including the guy who sent the email) of most organizations are 2Ls. The general idea is that 1Ls take over so they have things to put on their resume, and then turn it over to the next gen of 1Ls. 2Ls (rising 3Ls) don't take the positions because 1) they want to be lazy 3L and 2) they don't want to take those opportunities from 1Ls.

wishesarefishes

Postby wishesarefishes » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Have you not seen all the emails about clubs having to extend their deadlines for board applications? That didn't happen last year. Also, lame and lazy are two different things. My perception of the 1L class is that they gun but not in an understandable way. For example, caring more about CLR than the big employer event.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
splitsplat wrote:the form of the message was poor, but the substance of it is really pretty accurate. quite a few (good and bad) organizations have had trouble getting people to run for positions.

This is another one of those mixed messages things. Yes it looks good on a resume to be on the board of something, but many people have complained about people on the board of a club just trying to resume pad and how they don't want their future board to be like that. I think it's still something a lot of 1ls are doing, but maybe not to the same extreme as other years.

Honestly I think the dialogue is ineffective because neither side really understands the other. If upperclassmen (and OCS) think our class is a bunch of lazy, ignorant people not worried about getting a job then all attempts to talk with is will fail because I can guarantee we don't see ourselves that way (quite the opposite in fact).
The more likely explanation is that our student body is not significantly different from last year or the year before, but something external has changed. A solution would be to find that external factor and "fix" it (assuming there is something wrong to begin with, which is also debatable).

to the extent your point about students groups not wanting boards to be comprised of resume padders is accurate- it's a moot point. Neither side wins (the resume padders or student groups) if NO ONE runs.

luuma

Postby luuma » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:08 pm

If I want to strengthen my writing skills, what are some classes/workshops/organizations/etc that NU can offer? Thanks so much!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:16 pm

FWIW complaining that the 1Ls suck is a time honored tradition ITT.

That being said, these 1Ls are turrible.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:29 pm

luuma wrote:If I want to strengthen my writing skills, what are some classes/workshops/organizations/etc that NU can offer? Thanks so much!

Advanced CLR or whatever they call the elective sequel to that shitshow. And may god have mercy on your soul.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:30 pm

homestyle28 wrote:FWIW complaining that the 1Ls suck is a time honored tradition ITT.

That being said, these 1Ls are turrible.

Speak for yourself.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
luuma wrote:If I want to strengthen my writing skills, what are some classes/workshops/organizations/etc that NU can offer? Thanks so much!

Advanced CLR or whatever they call the elective sequel to that shitshow. And may god have mercy on your soul.

Probably near perfect correlation between taking Advanced CLR and being a masochist

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”