Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Pishee77 wrote:Their 25th is going to be a 161?!? No way...

Also, I wasnt able to go on the tour but does northwestern have a student space where you can put your books and coats or are you going to be lugging that around all day?
Everyone has a locker downstairs. Either a half locker to yourself or a shared full locker.

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:30 pm

Also, I wasnt able to go on the tour but does northwestern have a student space where you can put your books and coats or are you going to be lugging that around all day?
Yeah the last entering class stats show it:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ofile.html

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:29 am

D-Rod's mission is to get our LSAT requirement on par with San Diego...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:58 am

zugzwanger wrote:

Yeah the last entering class stats show it:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ofile.html
Festering TTT in decline. Thanks, Obama.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:56 am

I saw a bit of chat about McClurg earlier. I liked the location and amenities of both McClurg and Axis and was wondering if anyone has any good reasons why to choose one over the other.

I seem to remember Axis having hardwood and McClurg being carpeted. Also, I remember the McClurg convertible having a sliding door where the room is basically separated.

Other than that, anything significant in comparing the two? Any reason to fork over the $ to jump on both waitlists when I'm giving 4 months lead time anyway?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Soco Law wrote:I saw a bit of chat about McClurg earlier. I liked the location and amenities of both McClurg and Axis and was wondering if anyone has any good reasons why to choose one over the other.

I seem to remember Axis having hardwood and McClurg being carpeted. Also, I remember the McClurg convertible having a sliding door where the room is basically separated.

Other than that, anything significant in comparing the two? Any reason to fork over the $ to jump on both waitlists when I'm giving 4 months lead time anyway?
What's Axis?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:18 pm

rayiner wrote:
Soco Law wrote:I saw a bit of chat about McClurg earlier. I liked the location and amenities of both McClurg and Axis and was wondering if anyone has any good reasons why to choose one over the other.

What's Axis?
It was one of the three on our StudentSpace tour. It was formerly Onterie Center. It seems like it's in the middle of some pretty big renovations that should be complete this summer-ish (from what I remember).

Across the street from Treasure Island grocery about 2 blocks from the school.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Soco Law wrote:
rayiner wrote:

What's Axis?
It was one of the three on our StudentSpace tour. It was formerly Onterie Center. It seems like it's in the middle of some pretty big renovations that should be complete this summer-ish (from what I remember).

Across the street from Treasure Island grocery about 2 blocks from the school.
Oh. After living in McClurg for three years, I was like "how is there an apartment building in that area I haven't heard of?"

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Everyone has a locker downstairs. Either a half locker to yourself or a shared full locker.
At orientation you get in a line to get your locker. The credited strategy is to get in line with an LLM who will only be here for a year, that way you get a full locker to yourself for at least 2 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:31 pm

rayiner wrote:Oh. After living in McClurg for three years, I was like "how is there an apartment building in that area I haven't heard of?"
As a McClurg vet, any good data on pros/cons? Even the little things would be great to hear.

It's where I'm leaning. I like the proximity. I don't know how much I'll take advantage of the nice amenities, but I imagine some at least.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:43 pm

Soco Law wrote:
rayiner wrote:Oh. After living in McClurg for three years, I was like "how is there an apartment building in that area I haven't heard of?"
As a McClurg vet, any good data on pros/cons? Even the little things would be great to hear.

It's where I'm leaning. I like the proximity. I don't know how much I'll take advantage of the nice amenities, but I imagine some at least.
It's great, especially the amenities. The heated pool in the winter is win.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:52 pm

McClurg pros are pretty obvious. McClurg cons: walls are thin, the paint starts to peel after about 1-2 years, I've heard of occasional bug problems on the lower floors, one elevator goes out at least once a month and that can make it take 10-15 mins to get up or down in a crowded elevator, minor construction noise (which doesn't bother me), gas bill for heating is shared amongst all the residents so it can get high since there is no incentive to reduce your own usage, you hear sirens every so often from ambulances (but this is true of all apartments near the school). Overall (minus the bugs which I've never dealt with in all my time here) I think the cons are minor. I think it's a general tossup between it and Onterie but I've never lived at Onterie so I could be wrong.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:00 pm

bk1 wrote:McClurg pros are pretty obvious. McClurg cons: walls are thin, the paint starts to peel after about 1-2 years, I've heard of occasional bug problems on the lower floors, one elevator goes out at least once a month and that can make it take 10-15 mins to get up or down in a crowded elevator, minor construction noise (which doesn't bother me), gas bill for heating is shared amongst all the residents so it can get high since there is no incentive to reduce your own usage, you hear sirens every so often from ambulances (but this is true of all apartments near the school). Overall (minus the bugs which I've never dealt with in all my time here) I think the cons are minor. I think it's a general tossup between it and Onterie but I've never lived at Onterie so I could be wrong.
Excellent, thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:17 pm

bk1 wrote:McClurg pros are pretty obvious. McClurg cons: walls are thin, the paint starts to peel after about 1-2 years, I've heard of occasional bug problems on the lower floors, one elevator goes out at least once a month and that can make it take 10-15 mins to get up or down in a crowded elevator, minor construction noise (which doesn't bother me), gas bill for heating is shared amongst all the residents so it can get high since there is no incentive to reduce your own usage, you hear sirens every so often from ambulances (but this is true of all apartments near the school). Overall (minus the bugs which I've never dealt with in all my time here) I think the cons are minor. I think it's a general tossup between it and Onterie but I've never lived at Onterie so I could be wrong.
agree with everything except I don't think the walls are thin. I hear more noise in the hallway through people's doors than through the walls.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Does anyone have a con law outline for Konto?

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:23 pm

If you went the BigDebt route: was it worth it to cough up for a pricier place for location/convenience, or would you have lived in the north side neighborhoods from the beginning to save the ~$6k/year.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Cobretti wrote:Does anyone have a con law outline for Konto?
Repeating a request for a Hughes 14th Amendment outline. Please? :cry: :cry: :cry: I'll buy you a beer (multiple beers).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:41 pm

d cooper wrote:If you went the BigDebt route: was it worth it to cough up for a pricier place for location/convenience, or would you have lived in the north side neighborhoods from the beginning to save the ~$6k/year.
IMO it's not the final debt where that sort of thing matters, it's during the summer. What I mean is that whatever money you get paid during the summer, whether from a public interest grant or biglaw, doesn't always come in right away. If you're spending more during the year, you may struggle a bit between when your spring semester loan money runs out and when you get your summer funding. Overall I think scrimping when you're already over 250k isn't worthwhile, but then again little things add up and I'm not paying my loans back yet so I may sing a different tune 5 years from now.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:06 pm

bk1 wrote:
d cooper wrote:If you went the BigDebt route: was it worth it to cough up for a pricier place for location/convenience, or would you have lived in the north side neighborhoods from the beginning to save the ~$6k/year.
IMO it's not the final debt where that sort of thing matters, it's during the summer. What I mean is that whatever money you get paid during the summer, whether from a public interest grant or biglaw, doesn't always come in right away. If you're spending more during the year, you may struggle a bit between when your spring semester loan money runs out and when you get your summer funding. Overall I think scrimping when you're already over 250k isn't worthwhile, but then again little things add up and I'm not paying my loans back yet so I may sing a different tune 5 years from now.
Just do PAY-E bro.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:20 pm

to add on to the cons, especially regarding the utilities... you are forced to pay 30$/month for cable and there is no opting out. the gas bill is really fucking expensive, especially in the winter ($80-$130)- although this will depend on square footage of your apartment (i have a large 1bd) + electricity bill + internet bill. and something else annoying, instead of a security deposit, they just force you to pay an extra $200 to buy "insurance."

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:41 pm

rayiner wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Just do PAY-E bro.
If new, no tax bomb passes I will ride for OBAMA being goat POTUS

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Anyone live at Columbus Plaza? Thoughts?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:28 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqwzfat18nd6q3j/Con%20law.rar

Pepper yoy angus

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqwzfat18nd6q3j/Con%20law.rar

Pepper yoy angus
danke

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”