Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
whereskyle

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby whereskyle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:19 pm

LRGhost wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:yeah, going to go ahead and say what you should do the summer before law school is to give your notice, check out of your job, fuck around all day, drink a lot, enjoy being in your 20s and generally have fun with your friends before you move away. just my two cents, but i think you'll enjoy it.

then show up at law school and repeat steps 3-5

Why give notice? Seems like that would sacrifice at least one paycheck. And I can probably get six more weeks of pay if I don't say anything and just stop showing up regularly.

Giving notice at my shit job cost me money I wish I had. If you know they'll keep you til you leave, let them know. If not, fuck them like they'd fuck you.

'tis nothing more than fucking.

Wildcats17

Postby Wildcats17 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm looking to keep my rent down around $1000/ month and it looks like there are some Gold Coast studios around there, or something like Lincoln Park with a roommate. Opinions on either of those? Do a lot of 1Ls live with each other?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:57 pm

most 1Ls I knew didnt have roommates.
roommates are potentially awesome, if you already know someone- but roommates are also a source of potential headache and drama... so if you can help it, you might not want to risk it.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:29 pm

splitsplat wrote:most 1Ls I knew didnt have roommates.
roommates are potentially awesome, if you already know someone- but roommates are also a source of potential headache and drama... so if you can help it, you might not want to risk it.

Yeah I know very few 1L's with roommates and the ones I do know who roomed randomly with another 1L are mostly not having the best go of it (though maybe they just stand-out because of the venting, whereas those happy with their roommate don't need to constantly advertise it).

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:47 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:26 am

Wildcats17 wrote:I'm looking to keep my rent down around $1000/ month and it looks like there are some Gold Coast studios around there, or something like Lincoln Park with a roommate. Opinions on either of those? Do a lot of 1Ls live with each other?

For what it's worth, I'm not sure how convenient Gold Coast is. I have friends who live alone in LP and enjoy it. Keeping rent under $1000 would be very difficult, I'd imagine.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:09 am

LRGhost wrote:
Wildcats17 wrote:I'm looking to keep my rent down around $1000/ month and it looks like there are some Gold Coast studios around there, or something like Lincoln Park with a roommate. Opinions on either of those? Do a lot of 1Ls live with each other?

For what it's worth, I'm not sure how convenient Gold Coast is. I have friends who live alone in LP and enjoy it. Keeping rent under $1000 would be very difficult, I'd imagine.

Gold Coast is okay if you don't mind a long walk. But it's really not much cheaper. I liked the neighborhood more than Streeterville though.

Wildcats17

Postby Wildcats17 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:
LRGhost wrote:

Gold Coast is okay if you don't mind a long walk. But it's really not much cheaper. I liked the neighborhood more than Streeterville though.

I've found few studios around $1000 but not many and its hard to tell the quality just from looking online so they maybe sketchy. Maybe a studio in LP is the way to go then.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:20 am

Wildcats17 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
LRGhost wrote:

I've found few studios around $1000 but not many and its hard to tell the quality just from looking online so they maybe sketchy. Maybe a studio in LP is the way to go then.

I lived at 1140 N. LaSalle for 850 a month but it was a total dump and small as hell.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:24 am

Also check out West Town/Ukrainian village. About the same length of commute as LP since the 66 is slow as hell, but affordable and cute.

R1chardParker

Postby R1chardParker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:46 pm

I posted this tidbit in the class of 2013 employment numbers, but it got buried pretty quickly (regarding our employment numbers): 32 graduates reported their salary in the business/industry category, and the 25th percentile for salary was $98,750, meaning at least 24 additional grads were making 98,750+, making up 8.45% of the class (24/284). I just saw that CSO has posted a lengthy analysis as well: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/ ... mployment/ so I thought I'd post it here for those curious. Seems like the employment numbers as a whole are positive compared with last year.

TL;DR = our employment numbers are somewhat misleading if you only look at BigLaw + Clerkships because the large JD/MBA contingent is mostly self-selecting into business now instead of legal jobs.

Also, re: housing. Studios in Lakeview are cheap compared to Streeterville/Gold Coast, and my friends living up there swear by the express buses.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:32 pm

majority of those jd-advantage jobs are people who are returning, so i wouldnt count on getting into one of those fields as some k-jd and non-relevant w/e duders

rion91

Postby rion91 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:09 am

I'm going to be visiting Chicago from 4/5 Sat to 4/8 Tues and was hoping I could meet with a current student or two over some local food/beers (on me)? I am held right now, so I'm coming for an on campus interview on the 7th. Any takers? :D

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Should I try-out for Trial Team? Note, I want to litigate and the only other major time commitment I plan on having is a journal (and Miner Spring semester).

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Should I try-out for Trial Team? Note, I want to litigate and the only other major time commitment I plan on having is a journal (and Miner Spring semester).

Long time lurker! Would like to know this as well :D

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:42 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Should I try-out for Trial Team? Note, I want to litigate and the only other major time commitment I plan on having is a journal (and Miner Spring semester).

Nononono be lazy with me.

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:05 pm

Apparently, OCI this summer is the weeks of the August 11th and August 18th. What is the lag like between screeners and call backs? Have to travel home for a weekend between the start of OCI and late September, so trying to identify when would be least intrusive to duck away from class/the recruiting process. Any thoughts from seasoned veterans?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:10 pm

wojo98 wrote:Apparently, OCI this summer is the weeks of the August 11th and August 18th. What is the lag like between screeners and call backs? Have to travel home for a weekend between the start of OCI and late September, so trying to identify when would be least intrusive to duck away from class/the recruiting process. Any thoughts from seasoned veterans?

Different markets move on different timelines. NYC is very fast and doing a callback late there can hurt your chances at some firms. Firms that do a ton of interviews can have slots fill up quickly (esp. since NYC schools do OCI before us). Other markets (Chicago, CA, DC) seemed more relaxed and timing seemed not to matter as much as long as you weren't really late.

parkslope

Postby parkslope » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 pm

bdubs wrote:
wojo98 wrote:Apparently, OCI this summer is the weeks of the August 11th and August 18th. What is the lag like between screeners and call backs? Have to travel home for a weekend between the start of OCI and late September, so trying to identify when would be least intrusive to duck away from class/the recruiting process. Any thoughts from seasoned veterans?

Different markets move on different timelines. NYC is very fast and doing a callback late there can hurt your chances at some firms. Firms that do a ton of interviews can have slots fill up quickly (esp. since NYC schools do OCI before us). Other markets (Chicago, CA, DC) seemed more relaxed and timing seemed not to matter as much as long as you weren't really late.

I highly recommend taking the earliest possible callback date regardless of market or firm, unless you have a compelling reason to wait.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 pm

parkslope wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I highly recommend taking the earliest possible callback date regardless of market or firm, unless you have a compelling reason to wait.

until you get an offer, this is the credited response.

as a general rule though, callbacks happen quickly (as in your screener or whoever letting you know you are invited back for a CB) - but the timing for actually being able to schedule the actual callback can vary wildly depending on the firm.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:

Nononono be lazy with me.

Naw. I think I'm going to do it. ~30 try-outs for 5 spots though, so we'll see.

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:47 pm

splitsplat wrote:
parkslope wrote:I highly recommend taking the earliest possible callback date regardless of market or firm, unless you have a compelling reason to wait.

until you get an offer, this is the credited response.

as a general rule though, callbacks happen quickly (as in your screener or whoever letting you know you are invited back for a CB) - but the timing for actually being able to schedule the actual callback can vary wildly depending on the firm.

Gotcha, thanks. I'll push the trip as late into September as possible then.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:48 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Did you guys see the email about 1L attendance at employer events being the lowest ever for the school? Interesting if this actually has any serious implications. I would think over the longer term it might.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:51 pm

zugzwanger wrote:Did you guys see the email about 1L attendance at employer events being the lowest ever for the school? Interesting if this actually has any serious implications. I would think over the longer term it might.

Yeah I saw that...didn't inspire me to go to more though. The firms should be glad that only those truly interested in that firm are attending so they can spend more time with them alone. (Not really, but it's a good counter-point).
Everyone has their priorities. Possibly our year is just genuinely not as interested in these firms, likely because of the small interest in this year's class to actually remain in Chicago after school. (Or at least that's my reason for not going to almost all of these).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”