Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:46 pm

dagny05 wrote:Is it worthwhile to do any studying/prep before the first semester? I've heard good things about Getting to Maybe - any other suggestions?

browse the TLS how to succeed guides, but im sure you've already done that. follow TLS's advice. travel, get drunk, work out and do anything but think about law school. you don't really have to do anything until after thanksgiving anyway, so you def shouldn't be doing anything this summer

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lgleye » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:48 pm

.
Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:54 pm

yeah, going to go ahead and say what you should do the summer before law school is to give your notice, check out of your job, fuck around all day, drink a lot, enjoy being in your 20s and generally have fun with your friends before you move away. just my two cents, but i think you'll enjoy it.

then show up at law school and repeat steps 3-5

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:51 am

Dr. Filth wrote:
dagny05 wrote:Is it worthwhile to do any studying/prep before the first semester? I've heard good things about Getting to Maybe - any other suggestions?

browse the TLS how to succeed guides, but im sure you've already done that. follow TLS's advice. travel, get drunk, work out and do anything but think about law school. you don't really have to do anything until after thanksgiving anyway, so you def shouldn't be doing anything this summer


Filth forgot to mention there's a direct correlation between Fifa ability and law school success...so start practicing now, Dagny.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby californiauser » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:53 am

any of you choose northwestern over michigan and cornell?

if so, why?

User avatar
jn7
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby jn7 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:58 am

Micdiddy wrote:
Filth forgot to mention there's a direct correlation between Fifa ability and law school success...so start practicing now, Dagny.


You may have just outed yourself and/or narrowed to like 5 people :lol: :lol:

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:13 pm

californiauser wrote:any of you choose northwestern over michigan and cornell?

if so, why?


Yes. $$$ and location.

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby M458 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:14 pm

californiauser wrote:any of you choose northwestern over michigan and cornell?

if so, why?


Chicago > Ann Arbor or Ithaca.

Michigan doesn't have a home market, which I think has hurt its employment outcomes relative to the rest of the T14, and Cornell's "home market" is NYC, where I wasn't sure I wanted to end up.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:14 pm

jn7 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Filth forgot to mention there's a direct correlation between Fifa ability and law school success...so start practicing now, Dagny.


You may have just outed yourself and/or narrowed to like 5 people :lol: :lol:


I'm 99% sure all the 1L's knew who I was in September. If anyone doesn't, they're not trying (which, really, there's no reason they should be).

californiauser wrote:any of you choose northwestern over michigan and cornell?

if so, why?


I chose NU over Michigan (did not apply to Cornell). NU has better job placement and made it cheaper on me. Really, that was the sum of the decision.

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Dr. Filth » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:27 pm

jn7 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Filth forgot to mention there's a direct correlation between Fifa ability and law school success...so start practicing now, Dagny.


You may have just outed yourself and/or narrowed to like 5 people :lol: :lol:

the cult of fifa has been growing. thank you.

but of course i am in no way involved in any sort of fifadom.

User avatar
jn7
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby jn7 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
jn7 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Filth forgot to mention there's a direct correlation between Fifa ability and law school success...so start practicing now, Dagny.


You may have just outed yourself and/or narrowed to like 5 people :lol: :lol:

the cult of fifa has been growing. thank you.

but of course i am in no way involved in any sort of fifadom.


Haha I have noticed the cult of Fifa has been steadily growing. I feel slightly bad for the person asking about NU v. Cornell/Mich on here...probably thinking well they are a bunch of weirdos...WE ARE NOT! NU--> Chicago--> Lakeshore absolutely fantastic city+fantastic people. If it's not about money, come to Chi.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:38 pm

jn7 wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:
jn7 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Filth forgot to mention there's a direct correlation between Fifa ability and law school success...so start practicing now, Dagny.


You may have just outed yourself and/or narrowed to like 5 people :lol: :lol:

the cult of fifa has been growing. thank you.

but of course i am in no way involved in any sort of fifadom.


Haha I have noticed the cult of Fifa has been steadily growing. I feel slightly bad for the person asking about NU v. Cornell/Mich on here...probably thinking well they are a bunch of weirdos...WE ARE NOT! NU--> Chicago--> Lakeshore absolutely fantastic city+fantastic people. If it's not about money, come to Chi.


Mess with the bull, get the brilliant through ball from Iniesta to a perfunctory Messi finish.

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Dr. Filth » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:59 pm

see. there is no way Cornell/UMaa kids are anywhere near as cool as us. plus do they even take challenges?

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:07 pm

We haven't had a challenge in forever

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Dr. Filth » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:09 pm

can we challenge each other? or does it have to be 0L's?

norkanite
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby norkanite » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:20 pm

.
Last edited by norkanite on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jn7
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby jn7 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:32 pm

I haven't really gotten into video games in a while, but you all are incredibly lucky that there isn't a copy of NBA 2k in that room :mrgreen:

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:59 pm

I challenge Blumpbeef to take a selfie from DRods office

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I challenge Blumpbeef to take a selfie from DRods office


Bonus points if DRod is in the shot.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13624
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I challenge Blumpbeef to take a selfie from DRods office


Bonus points if DRod is in the shot.

Double bonus if he is wearing sweat pants at work because it's spring break

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I challenge Blumpbeef to take a selfie from DRods office


Bonus points if DRod is in the shot.

Double bonus if he is wearing sweat pants at work because it's spring break


What, he's always in sweat pants. Double points if he isn't in sweats .

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:52 pm

I'll do what I can.

I'm 99% sure he had this thread bookmarked though, so I won't have the element of surprise.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:I'll do what I can.

I'm 99% sure he had this thread bookmarked though, so I won't have the element of surprise.


10X for posting under his account from his office

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby NYC-WVU » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:yeah, going to go ahead and say what you should do the summer before law school is to give your notice, check out of your job, fuck around all day, drink a lot, enjoy being in your 20s and generally have fun with your friends before you move away. just my two cents, but i think you'll enjoy it.

then show up at law school and repeat steps 3-5

Why give notice? Seems like that would sacrifice at least one paycheck. And I can probably get six more weeks of pay if I don't say anything and just stop showing up regularly.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby LRGhost » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:03 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:yeah, going to go ahead and say what you should do the summer before law school is to give your notice, check out of your job, fuck around all day, drink a lot, enjoy being in your 20s and generally have fun with your friends before you move away. just my two cents, but i think you'll enjoy it.

then show up at law school and repeat steps 3-5

Why give notice? Seems like that would sacrifice at least one paycheck. And I can probably get six more weeks of pay if I don't say anything and just stop showing up regularly.


Giving notice at my shit job cost me money I wish I had. If you know they'll keep you til you leave, let them know. If not, fuck them like they'd fuck you.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 4 guests