Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Pokemon

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Pokemon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:22 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
Kikero wrote:
jn7 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:Legal writing is curved now

But it is curved to a higher median, correct? I think something like 3.5 was thrown around.

If that's true it probably is a plus over uncurved, at least for some professors.

and I believe that is why it is started being curved

I thought it was always curved :wink: , just not officially so. Now it is official?

On a sidenote, what the f**k is up with the internet at this school????????

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lgleye » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:36 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:
whereskyle wrote:Thank you, everyone. I'm already looking at places in my price range. Anyone feel like sharing one's opinions of the pros and cons of nearby neighborhoods? Im entirely new to Chicago. I'll be spending 5 days in town over ASW, but I don't really have time to get to know the place (contracted to work till August). Your insights are typically quite helpful. If one is available, I'll gladly accept a reference to a trusty source.

if you search this thread, you will find a lot of good info. thats what i did when i was looking for apt's.

Your ava is shit now change it back bro

dont shit up another thread w yr nonsense, m8

chessman

Postby chessman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Pokemon wrote:I thought it was always curved :wink: , just not officially so. Now it is official?

The "unofficial" curve was my understanding as well.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:30 pm

What does official vs. unofficial mean? Our prof has had no problem stating explicitly she is forced to curve. If unofficial means it is not advertised or something then I wouldn't know about that.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:42 pm

Micdiddy wrote:What does official vs. unofficial mean? Our prof has had no problem stating explicitly she is forced to curve. If unofficial means it is not advertised or something then I wouldn't know about that.

If they're saying there is a curve it's officially curved. It used to be "unofficially" curved in that while there was no forced curve professors didn't give out all As and A+s. They had more discretion than the curve in effect in other classes would allow, but grades still tended to fall in normal distributions.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:32 am

There's an official curve.

A/A+: 10-20%
A-: 15-25%
B+: 25-40%
B or below: 20-30%

jn7

Postby jn7 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:07 pm

What are you guys up to over spring break? Anything fun/exciting?

I can't wait to just sleep and run around Chicago--so many places I still haven't checked out since moving.

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:03 pm

Is it too late to find a subleaser for the summer? What's the best way to find someone? Post to the listserv? Contact students at other schools through their listservs? Craigslist?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:08 pm

captainplanet wrote:Is it too late to find a subleaser for the summer? What's the best way to find someone? Post to the listserv? Contact students at other schools through their listservs? Craigslist?

Craigslist. That's how I sublet mine.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:11 pm

bjsesq wrote:
captainplanet wrote:Is it too late to find a subleaser for the summer? What's the best way to find someone? Post to the listserv? Contact students at other schools through their listservs? Craigslist?

I think I'd rather not sublet at all than rent to some rando from craigslist with no connection to anyone at NU.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I think I'd rather not sublet at all than rent to some rando from craigslist with no connection to anyone at NU.

When they are a student from another University's B-School, a simple call to the school allays fears pretty quickly. There are plenty of decent people that use craigslist as a resource, you just need to vet them as best you can yourself.

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

That is my concern as well.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:13 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

When they are a student from another University's B-School, a simple call to the school allays fears pretty quickly. There are plenty of decent people that use craigslist as a resource, you just need to vet them as best you can yourself.

Ok, yeah, I guess if you know they are a student and at what school, that's better.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Ok, yeah, I guess if you know they are a student and at what school, that's better.

Even when it's Case Western

Snarf. Snarf.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:42 pm

I sublet to another law student. I used craigslist and it was really easy. When I tried to sublease in another city, the apartment I got was a law student who replied to me with "a ton of people showed interest but I picked you cause law school".

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:35 am

Blumpbeef wrote:I sublet to another law student. I used craigslist and it was really easy. When I tried to sublease in another city, the apartment I got was a law student who replied to me with "a ton of people showed interest but I picked you cause law school".

Thanks!

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:03 am

Has anyone heard anything regarding the public interest fellowships (Nussbaum, Kleiman, Stevens) yet?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:37 am

Anybody who has taken any sort of healthcare class at NU and has an outline for it, please reach out. Drink on me next time I am in Chicago.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Hey, everybody. Are there any current/former NU students on this thread pursuing criminal defense work of any kind (pi/govt/private/policy)? From what I understand such a goal requires a very different approach from the big law or bust route. Can anyone comment on their experience at NU in this regard? I'd happily accept a PM. Thanks, all.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:37 pm

What are people's thoughts on being a RA for 1L summer? Would be full time hours and I think I'd take a class as well. Would this raise any eyebrows at OCI?

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:31 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Cobretti wrote:What are people's thoughts on being a RA for 1L summer? Would be full time hours and I think I'd take a class as well. Would this raise any eyebrows at OCI?

Basically my plan at this point. RA, two classes and maybe volunteering and some non-profit one day a week. I've also heard OCI doesn't care too much.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:What are people's thoughts on being a RA for 1L summer? Would be full time hours and I think I'd take a class as well. Would this raise any eyebrows at OCI?

Basically my plan at this point. RA, two classes and maybe volunteering and some non-profit one day a week. I've also heard OCI doesn't care too much.

if its good for Micdiddy its good for me

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”