Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LRGhost

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby LRGhost » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:. . . I can congratulate/contact them about the correct things and not some school sponsored unpaid internship they did during their Spring 2L semester after striking out OCI.

Or you can not be a judgmental fuckhead?

Also if they're your friends, talk to them normally. If you don't know them, it'd be really weird to 'reach out' to them and randomly congratulate people as a 0L. Chill on looking for help or networking until you're actually in school and settle in to the routine. It's sort of transparent to reach out to people you haven't spoken to in years who happen to work Big Law and be like 'Oh hey, congratulations on your job. BTW, how'd you do that?' You'll have plenty of time to make relevant conversation once you have more substantive law school oriented subjects to talk about.

Optimist Prime

Postby Optimist Prime » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:Not strangers - Just people I went to undergrad with but haven't spoken to in years. I like to save my congratulating strangers for the TLS Law School Acceptances Denials and Waitlists forum.

Then just strike up a normal conversation and work in 'What did you do last summer?' and 'Have you decided what you're doing this summer?'

Do you never stalk people on FB to see what they are up to? If I wanted to just call them I wouldn't have posted the question - I would have just picked up the phone.

If my question was unanswerable that's fine. It was just a question on the internet.

You should probably post this in the UChicago thread. Seems like you'd fit in better there.

Agreed

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Great. Then get the fuck out.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Great. Then get the fuck out.

He actually went and asked in the UChi thread. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140165&p=7434998#p7434998

Confirmed aspie.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 pm

I'm Kip Hackman, Burt Macklins brother. I'm gonna find out who sent that asshole into our thread.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:54 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I'm Kip Hackman, Burt Macklins brother. I'm gonna find out who sent that asshole into our thread.

I thought he'd get the joke...

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:I'm Kip Hackman, Burt Macklins brother. I'm gonna find out who sent that asshole into our thread.

This whole thing has been the bright spot in my brief writing hell. Bless you all.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:25 am

Flips88 wrote:

You win King of the Thread this week for sending him away. GJ.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:47 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:54 pm

lgleye wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

:D :D Damn hilarious, Flips. But I hope Mal doesn't retaliate. Otherwise, we're gonna end up lobbing weirdo's into each other's threads.

Mel doesn't want to step to this.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:12 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:19 pm

lgleye wrote:Holy shit.... you guys weren't kidding....... reading for Horwich is already taking up more time than all my other classes combined. There goes my spring break.

3L protip: stop reading for classes.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:03 pm

lgleye wrote:Holy shit.... you guys weren't kidding....... reading for Horwich is already taking up more time than all my other classes combined. There goes my spring break.

tried telling y'all about horwich

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:58 pm

Hey everyone, I have questions for you. I know that you have real ls to take care of, so please dont sweat this small stuff. But thanks in advance if youd like to chime in. Ive been looking forward to taking law school classes that will inform me of legal issues in certain subjects, such as Policing and Corporations. The echo chamber of TLS has persuaded me that taking any class "cuz its interesting" is misguided, due to the possibility that taking Fed Courts or the like will compromise one's GPA. Does anyone on this thread want to chime in on this? Particularly, I'm wondering if being a good LS exam taker applies regardless of subject, since the exam is primarily based on the prof's class in that semester. Has anyone here taken a class, "cuz its interesting"? Thanks all.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:11 pm

whereskyle wrote:Hey everyone, I have questions for you. I know that you have real ls to take care of, so please dont sweat this small stuff. But thanks in advance if youd like to chime in. Ive been looking forward to taking law school classes that will inform me of legal issues in certain subjects, such as Policing and Corporations. The echo chamber of TLS has persuaded me that taking any class "cuz its interesting" is misguided, due to the possibility that taking Fed Courts or the like will compromise one's GPA. Does anyone on this thread want to chime in on this? Particularly, I'm wondering if being a good LS exam taker applies regardless of subject, since the exam is primarily based on the prof's class in that semester. Has anyone here taken a class, "cuz its interesting"? Thanks all.

Are you talking about a single class called "Policing and Corporations" or two classes on very different subjects? We have nothing like the former at NU that i'm aware of. Check out the public course catalog here: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/curricu ... g/alph.cfm

The answer to your question is that it depends a lot on the class content, format, and professor. A lot of upper level courses at NU in very specific topics are taught as seminars where there is no curve and no exam, only a final paper. Fundamental upper level classes like fed courts (referred to as fed jur @ NU) are large lecture format classes where there is an exam at the end. Your grade in that class is either based on the curve if the enrollment is above 40 or on the professor's discretion if the enrollment is below 40.

Which classes you take should be based on a combination of considerations including whether you're interested in it (primary), whether it is curved, and what professor is teaching it. You will have lots of options and probably at least one uncurved option in each broad topic area (corporate, crim, IP, con law, etc.)

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:28 pm

whereskyle wrote:Hey everyone, I have questions for you. I know that you have real ls to take care of, so please dont sweat this small stuff. But thanks in advance if youd like to chime in. Ive been looking forward to taking law school classes that will inform me of legal issues in certain subjects, such as Policing and Corporations. The echo chamber of TLS has persuaded me that taking any class "cuz its interesting" is misguided, due to the possibility that taking Fed Courts or the like will compromise one's GPA. Does anyone on this thread want to chime in on this? Particularly, I'm wondering if being a good LS exam taker applies regardless of subject, since the exam is primarily based on the prof's class in that semester. Has anyone here taken a class, "cuz its interesting"? Thanks all.

I've taken several curved classes because I was interested in the subject matter. Whether it's a good idea depends on how your 1L grades (where you have no choice except for 2 electives) come out and what you're trying to do. Generally speaking I'd say go ahead and take classes you're interested in and not just classes that have a reputation for being easy. Maybe the calculations change if your GPA is borderline and you need to improve it or you have a great GPA and are going for coif, magna, etc. But a single class likely won't hurt you that much.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Hahaha! Everyone knows that policing and corporations do not go together. I was trying to demonstrate that I'm interested in such varying subjects as Policing and Corporations. Thanks for the responses!

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:57 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:02 pm

lgleye wrote:
whereskyle wrote:Hahaha! Everyone knows that policing and corporations do not go together. I was trying to demonstrate that I'm interested in such varying subjects as Policing and Corporations. Thanks for the responses!

Actually, there are courses that merge the two: Corporate Governance, which some of us have to take. From what I hear, if you take it with a guy named Horwich, it’s not gonna help regardless of whether it’s curved or not.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... dx9hijHw6A

Which students have to take it?

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:24 pm

lgleye wrote:Only the ones "interested" in the field and planning on corporate work. Not a requirement, but I've been told that it helps.

:roll: Then maybe don't say you "have to take" a class.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Flips88 wrote:

done.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Says the guy that lead a goddamn gunner revival at NU. YOU LIE.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:48 pm

Hey all! Did any of you choose to do a room share your first year? Any arguments in favor of getting one's own place versus splitting the cost with roomies? The argument im telling myself is that I'll be in that breathtakingly beautiful library anyway, but maybe that doesn't capture the whole picture. Thanks all in advance.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:16 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Flips88 wrote:3L protip: stop reading for classes.

Says the guy that lead a goddamn gunner revival at NU. YOU LIE.

Really don't know how I'm a leader of some "gunner revival." The shit that keeps me busy these days is not class related and I haven't really read for class since Fall 2L.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”