Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
homestyle28

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:01 pm

How are you fellow olds with many years since undergrad handling the undergrad reference section of the bar exam app? It's been more than a decade since I finished undergrad and I went to like the second biggest state school in the country. I'd have to dig out a transcript to even remember a prof's name. Can I just throw down some profs from my graduate program and cross my fingers?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:10 pm

homestyle28 wrote:How are you fellow olds with many years since undergrad handling the undergrad reference section of the bar exam app? It's been more than a decade since I finished undergrad and I went to like the second biggest state school in the country. I'd have to dig out a transcript to even remember a prof's name. Can I just throw down some profs from my graduate program and cross my fingers?

That's exactly what I did, and I'm doing it again for DC bar.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:08 am

homestyle28 wrote:How are you fellow olds with many years since undergrad handling the undergrad reference section of the bar exam app? It's been more than a decade since I finished undergrad and I went to like the second biggest state school in the country. I'd have to dig out a transcript to even remember a prof's name. Can I just throw down some profs from my graduate program and cross my fingers?

What the actual fuck.

I can ABSOLUTELY guarantee that none of my undergrad professors from 1997-2002 remember me, IF they are even still working. Most are probably retired. My transcript doesn't have professor names on it. And I didn't go to grad school.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:01 am

Dude. I graduated from UG in 2009 and I barely remember a single professor I had, let alone one who remembers me.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

That's exactly what I did, and I'm doing it again for DC bar.

Good to know, thanks!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Dude. I graduated from UG in 2009 and I barely remember a single professor I had, let alone one who remembers me.

I for one am glad to enter a profession that is so esteemed that my detentions from 10th grade are relevant information.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:46 pm

The worst part is they don't really deem it relevant, but they ask for it anyway.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The worst part is they don't really deem it relevant, but they ask for it anyway.

Well I did get detention for perjuring myself, but still

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:31 pm

lgleye wrote:here's a general question: For those of you NOT from the Chicago area and vicinity, will you also be registering for the Illinois Bar, or other states? I suppose those of you in IP are considering probably taking the DC bar as well, right?.

Presuming you have a job, you take the bar where that job is...

And DC has reciprocity for every other state so you just take whatever state you want for the exam and apply for DC after the fact.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:26 am

Can anyone comment on how competitive the summer positions in the Bluhm legal clinic are?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:28 am

feralinfant wrote:Can anyone comment on how competitive the summer positions in the Bluhm legal clinic are?

I think for at least some, you just register for it as a clinic. Enviro one is great.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
feralinfant wrote:Can anyone comment on how competitive the summer positions in the Bluhm legal clinic are?

I think for at least some, you just register for it as a clinic. Enviro one is great.

so can you do it for credit like externships? that whole four credit guaranteed a thing sounded p f great to me

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

so can you do it for credit like externships? that whole four credit guaranteed a thing sounded p f great to me

I was talking about the paid summer work study things an e-mail went out about, which i get the sense are different. It said they were hiring 13 people or something which makes it seem like they're probably pretty competitive but I wasn't sure how many people typically try to work at Bluhm in the summer.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:08 pm

I don't really know, but I imagine anything paid will attract a ton of 1Ls.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Getting a clinic was a pain during 1L for me. I applied, received no offers from clinics, and then in late April a bunch of them emailed me asking me if I wanted to be part of the clinic. By then, it was too late. Also, a bunch of in-house opportunities opened up in late April-May for me, but again by then it was too late.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Pokemon wrote:Getting a clinic was a pain during 1L for me. I applied, received no offers from clinics, and then in late April a bunch of them emailed me asking me if I wanted to be part of the clinic. By then, it was too late. Also, a bunch of in-house opportunities opened up in late April-May for me, but again by then it was too late.

in general, would people suggest waiting until later to try to get something paid?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Getting a clinic was a pain during 1L for me. I applied, received no offers from clinics, and then in late April a bunch of them emailed me asking me if I wanted to be part of the clinic. By then, it was too late. Also, a bunch of in-house opportunities opened up in late April-May for me, but again by then it was too late.

in general, would people suggest waiting until later to try to get something paid?

No... too much of a risk I think. You also do not want to be on the last few weeks of 1L still wondering about where you will work over the summer. It might have an effect on how you do in classes. Having said that, good opportunities do arise even in late May, early June. It is really strange.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:07 pm

I'm gonna disagree with the thread's resident neurotic 2L and say there's not really any hierarchy of prestige for 1L jobs. So long as you have something positive and substantive to say about your 1L summer job and you have the grades + personality fit, the firms won't really care if you had a 1L SA or a judicial externship or a government job.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Flips88 wrote:I'm gonna disagree with the thread's resident neurotic 2L and say there's not really any hierarchy of prestige for 1L jobs. So long as you have something positive and substantive to say about your 1L summer job and you have the grades + personality fit, the firms won't really care if you had a 1L SA or a judicial externship or a government job.

1L SA >>>>>> than anything else because you get paid, not because of prestige.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Icculus wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I'm gonna disagree with the thread's resident neurotic 2L and say there's not really any hierarchy of prestige for 1L jobs. So long as you have something positive and substantive to say about your 1L summer job and you have the grades + personality fit, the firms won't really care if you had a 1L SA or a judicial externship or a government job.

Yeah, true. Government and judicial stuff have their own perks too. SFPIF can get you $5-6k or I guess you can take on $5k in extra debt for 4 credits of easy A. Still seems fucked up that students have to go into debt to work for free.

terriers

Postby terriers » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:58 pm

lgleye wrote:Just having a “did summer research with my professor” is going to get your ass shot down at 2L OCI.

...this is emphatically not true in my experience just FYI. I did a couple of other very minor things as well during the summer, but I really wanted to work with a particular professor on a project, did it, and it worked out fine. The project ended up being a good conversation-starter in a lot of interviews.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Yeah, true. Government and judicial stuff have their own perks too. SFPIF can get you $5-6k or I guess you can take on $5k in extra debt for 4 credits of easy A. Still seems fucked up that students have to go into debt to work for free.

My gov't gig paid minimum wage, but I took out loans instead so I could get practicum credit.

parkslope

Postby parkslope » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:47 pm

We had this debate earlier, but I think certain federal government stuff like SEC/CFPB/FTC/whatever can look better because you can spin it to your interests (SEC --> securities litigation, for example) and it is DIFFERENT than the armies of people doing judicial externships. If an interviewer sees 10 people who worked for a judge and 1 person who worked for the SEC, which summer experience is more likely to stand out?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”