Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Anyone know what the median GPA is?

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:09 pm

bk1 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:hey upperclassmen- any help in interpreting these? I realized I have no idea how to even determine what an approximate median might be.


rayiner wrote:Handy-dandy GPA/class-rank break down, for after 1L:

4.00+ - top 3-5 people
3.85+ - top 10%
3.75+ - top 15%
3.65+ - top 25%
3.50+ - top 35%
3.30-3.40 - median
3.20 - 3.30 - slightly below median
3.00 - 3.20 - quite below median

This is very approximate, but it doesn't really matter because firms don't try to divine your exact class rank.

Nobody really knows what the bottom half of the curve looks like, because the curve is not symmetric.


viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142200&start=2475#p5567109

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13624
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:11 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
terriers wrote:Definite bullshit. If it helps, there was a prof last year who gave out 4 discretionary C's (not C+'s, C's) in first semester 1L. I know 2 people that received them and they both have really solid firm jobs this summer, so all is definitely not lost.

WHAT???? Holy shit that is fucked up. Do you mind PMing me the prof name?

I wanna say I heard Cameron for property. Also, people should feel free to out profs that are asshole graders. They deserve it.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Hughes for evidence.

Gave out a C+ and bottomed out the curve.

She's also a strong contender for shittiest professor on campus.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Hughes for evidence.

Gave out a C+ and bottomed out the curve.

She's also a strong contender for shittiest professor on campus.

feeling so good about dropping 14A this week....

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Apparently she is a generous grader in 14A...

Doesn't make her any less awful as a professor though.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13624
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Apparently she is a generous grader in 14A...

Doesn't make her any less awful as a professor though.

Yeah, she's a very nice lady, but dear god is she awful at teaching. And every semester she's like "Y'all can bitch about me in the CTECs, but I got tenure like 20 years ago so fuck everyone"

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:Apparently she is a generous grader in 14A...

Doesn't make her any less awful as a professor though.

Yeah, she's a very nice lady, but dear god is she awful at teaching. And every semester she's like "Y'all can bitch about me in the CTECs, but I got tenure like 20 years ago so fuck everyone"


She gave the minimum number of As and A-s, and more Bs than B+s. And a C+ for good measure.

The fuck kind of nice lady does that shit?

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby californiauser » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Any word on what % of the class has SA positions this summer?

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lgleye » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:41 pm

.
Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
VulcanVulcanVulcan
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:16 pm

lgleye wrote:
californiauser wrote:Any word on what % of the class has SA positions this summer?

It depends on what level of SA's (BigLaw, Mid, Shit, etc.). Assuming you mean Big & Large Mid, then the general consensus is that, it's been about 58-62% for the past 2 years. If you narrow the focus to Vault/NLJ250, it's about 48-52%. However, from personal experience and talking among my group of friends, last summer's OCI was even better than that.
According to ATL and other blogs, NU is ranked pretty high (top 5) for getting BigLaw/NLJ250 SA's. Seel link here:
http://abovethelaw.com/2013/02/best-law ... -job-2013/

So, even if you get fucked by bad and/or vindictive prof's, you're okay since you still have a realistic shot if you get median or above. Of course, theihigher, the more solid your prospects.


Keep in mind also that there's some self-selection, in that some above-median types do PI or government or whatever instead of an SA. So the 62% figure does not mean the top 62% of the class.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:18 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
lgleye wrote:
californiauser wrote:Any word on what % of the class has SA positions this summer?

It depends on what level of SA's (BigLaw, Mid, Shit, etc.). Assuming you mean Big & Large Mid, then the general consensus is that, it's been about 58-62% for the past 2 years. If you narrow the focus to Vault/NLJ250, it's about 48-52%. However, from personal experience and talking among my group of friends, last summer's OCI was even better than that.
According to ATL and other blogs, NU is ranked pretty high (top 5) for getting BigLaw/NLJ250 SA's. Seel link here:
http://abovethelaw.com/2013/02/best-law ... -job-2013/

So, even if you get fucked by bad and/or vindictive prof's, you're okay since you still have a realistic shot if you get median or above. Of course, theihigher, the more solid your prospects.


Keep in mind also that there's some self-selection, in that some above-median types do PI or government or whatever instead of an SA. So the 62% figure does not mean the top 62% of the class.


And it's not like there is a line where everyone gets a job and then suddenly strikes out. There are top 10% people who strike out and bottom 10% who get big law.

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lgleye » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:07 am

.
Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cookiejar1 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:14 am

So is anyone here going to take a challenge or what?

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Dr. Filth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 am

cookiejar1 wrote:So is anyone here going to take a challenge or what?

Always taking challenges here. That's the northwestern difference.


So what kind of grader is Lupo supposed to be? Specifically in Remedies.

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lgleye » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:22 am

.
Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby basilseal » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:06 am

lgleye wrote:Seriously considering bailing from O'Hara and jumping to Horwich for SecReg. Buddies say that I'm insane. Thoughts?

Please do haha so we can get back below the curve.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby LRGhost » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:05 pm

Any opinions on how Jacobi is as a grader in Legislation? Not a fan of the reading but she seems like a nice person.

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lgleye » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:48 pm

.
Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13624
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:49 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:So is anyone here going to take a challenge or what?

Always taking challenges here. That's the northwestern difference.


So what kind of grader is Lupo supposed to be? Specifically in Remedies.

He's supposed to be easy.

User avatar
purpletiger
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby purpletiger » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:13 pm

Anyone have a read on the Coif cutoff? I tried to access the honors list for 2013 but you can't anymore apparently. Does anyone have a copy of it?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:30 pm

purpletiger wrote:Anyone have a read on the Coif cutoff? I tried to access the honors list for 2013 but you can't anymore apparently. Does anyone have a copy of it?


Really close to magna last year.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142200&start=5300

User avatar
purpletiger
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby purpletiger » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:47 pm

bdubs wrote:
purpletiger wrote:Anyone have a read on the Coif cutoff? I tried to access the honors list for 2013 but you can't anymore apparently. Does anyone have a copy of it?


Really close to magna last year.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142200&start=5300


I did see that. Curious how many made magna v. how many made Coif though. That indicates whether Coif is at 3.97 or it's something like 3.93.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:48 pm

lgleye wrote:
basilseal wrote:
lgleye wrote:Seriously considering bailing from O'Hara and jumping to Horwich for SecReg. Buddies say that I'm insane. Thoughts?

Please do haha so we can get back below the curve.

Yeah, but isn't Horwich still below 40? O'Hara curved versus Horwich uncurved......hmmmm.


FWIW you might actually prefer Horwich curved. O'Hara hates the curve so he'll at least be a good bet to max it out.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13624
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:45 pm

purpletiger wrote:
bdubs wrote:
purpletiger wrote:Anyone have a read on the Coif cutoff? I tried to access the honors list for 2013 but you can't anymore apparently. Does anyone have a copy of it?


Really close to magna last year.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142200&start=5300


I did see that. Curious how many made magna v. how many made Coif though. That indicates whether Coif is at 3.97 or it's something like 3.93.

IIRC it was something ridiculous like 22 of the 25 on Coif were magna/summa (1 guy at least lol). So likely that coif cutoff was somewhere in the 3.93-3.95 area.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest