Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:51 am

atresia wrote:Application sent.

Well done. I hope it works out for you.

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:53 am

bjsesq wrote:
atresia wrote:Application sent.

Well done. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks!

forward

Postby forward » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:17 am

Challenge: what are great apartment search websites for Chicago?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:41 am

forward wrote:Challenge: what are great apartment search websites for Chicago?

http://chicago.craigslist.org

Not joking.

forward

Postby forward » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:45 am

Holly Golightly wrote:

Not joking.

I am not looking for a casual encounter.

<3 Thx =P

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:49 am

hotpads.com is good.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:49 am

forward wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Not joking.

I am not looking for a casual encounter.

<3 Thx =P

I found 4 fantastic apartments in Chicago on craigslist.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:17 am

So do you guys know anyone who's focused on PI? I read the PI page on the website, but so much other stuff is economics/business focused, it seems a little odd. Do they have adequate support in place?

Also, re:housing, my best friend lives in a fantastic apartment (with roommates) on the 66 bus route. At least I think that's the right number...it took no time to get to the school from his place, and his rent is under $600.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:hotpads.com is good.

This. And http://www.padmapper.com

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Parking can be very expensive. My buildings is about 225 dollars. I've heard rumors of less but damn.

If you are going to keep a car, I'd live further up the lake. Lake shore drive is quick drive in non rush hour drives.

My brain is incompatible with not having a car because I have been an earth-killing commuter for years, but insurance plus that much to park is pretty expensive just so i can drive to a store once in a while. It's not like I'll be taking road trips to Milwaukee every weekend.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:So do you guys know anyone who's focused on PI? I read the PI page on the website, but so much other stuff is economics/business focused, it seems a little odd. Do they have adequate support in place?

Also, re:housing, my best friend lives in a fantastic apartment (with roommates) on the 66 bus route. At least I think that's the right number...it took no time to get to the school from his place, and his rent is under $600.

I'm the resident PI goon. There are significant assets dedicated to PI, including clinics, our own career adviser, courses dedicated to the area, etc. I live along the 66 route and can attest to the fantastic apartments along the way.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:57 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:So do you guys know anyone who's focused on PI? I read the PI page on the website, but so much other stuff is economics/business focused, it seems a little odd. Do they have adequate support in place?

I'm the resident PI goon. There are significant assets dedicated to PI, including clinics, our own career adviser, courses dedicated to the area, etc. I live along the 66 route and can attest to the fantastic apartments along the way.

I know lots about both of those things, tooooooooooooooo. :P

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:07 pm

bjsesq wrote:
atresia wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
atresia wrote:No WE after college for me, so I decided not to apply (3.9, 169). However, I'll have 16 months of meaningful work by the time classes begin, which includes working on deadlines, substantial responsibilities, and research publications. Did I make a mistake not applying - I have a fee waiver - or is it for the best, since I'd likely get rejected (and even if I got in, I'd be 4 years younger than the median student)?

Considering you lose nothing by applying, why wouldn't you?

For the reasons I stated. I more than likely would be denied, and even if I got in, I would probably be at a disadvantage come OCI due to my lack of postgrad WE when all my peers have it.

You have a legitimate concern about OCI, though I can't attest to how much it would hurt you. I still think you should apply.

2L here. I wouldn't worry too much about WE when it comes to OCI... think about it. Every other school has at least half their class straight from ugrad, and while you are competing against other NU students, the recruitment field is much broader for most biglaw. Also, in my class it was grades+(perceived) maturity that mattered, not WE. The straight-throughs with baller grades who could pull off maturity did fine... those with lots of WE with eh grades who didn't seem like they could handle the biglaw life didn't.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Bumi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Parking can be very expensive. My buildings is about 225 dollars. I've heard rumors of less but damn.

If you are going to keep a car, I'd live further up the lake. Lake shore drive is quick drive in non rush hour drives.

My brain is incompatible with not having a car because I have been an earth-killing commuter for years, but insurance plus that much to park is pretty expensive just so i can drive to a store once in a while. It's not like I'll be taking road trips to Milwaukee every weekend.

I love driving, but my car was on its last legs before school and student loans don't cover car payments so I've just done without. If you live in the right neighborhood it's easy to have no car.

The only bitch is going to target or something and wanting to bring back a ton of stuff. But we have zip cars. So they can be useful.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Bumi wrote:

I love driving, but my car was on its last legs before school and student loans don't cover car payments so I've just done without. If you live in the right neighborhood it's easy to have no car.

The only bitch is going to target or something and wanting to bring back a ton of stuff. But we have zip cars. So they can be useful.

It sounds like I can make $$/gain friends by offering the services of my wife's soccer mom suv. yay.

Also am I the only one who keeps thinking that Holly is hoping to turn this thread into a big game of truth or dare by her constant call for moar challengez?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Question: I know DC Is generally considered a hard market to land, but most of the type of legal work I am interested in is done out of DC (large regulatory component). Are Northwestern Students at a disadvantage relative to schools closer to DC?

A quick look on NALP at some of the firms that interest me showed that some recruit very broadly for DC (i.e. all of the T14 + some), some recruit very narrowly (usually NE Corridor T14 + top local), and a third group seem to recruit broadly but not at Northwestern. Anyone want to tell me if that means anything, or if the schools recruited from on NALP is not really a meaningful distinction? I don't know how much harder it is to score an interview with an office (or a firm) that doesn't recruit at your school.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:32 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Also am I the only one who keeps thinking that Holly is hoping to turn this thread into a big game of truth or dare by her constant call for moar challengez?

Dare.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Also am I the only one who keeps thinking that Holly is hoping to turn this thread into a big game of truth or dare by her constant call for moar challengez?

Dare.

I dare you to get down with me this semester.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:35 pm

Bumi wrote:

I think I'd be taking my car, but can't think of anything to do with it besides the occasional trip to Granite Peak and whatever other "mountains" Illinois has to offer, to remind my snowboard of what it's missing at home. :P

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Dare.

Worst dare ever.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Dare.

Worst dare ever.

I haven't played truth or dare since junior high. I don't know how to play it w/o making every dare homoerotic dares that junior high boys come up with.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Dare.

I'd suggest streaking, but what is the temperature in Chicago right now? Four degrees fahrenheit?
Desert Fox wrote:The only bitch is going to target or something and wanting to bring back a ton of stuff. But we have zip cars. So they can be useful.
Oh right zipcars. I'm going to love living in a big city aren't I.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

I think I'd be taking my car, but can't think of anything to do with it besides the occasional trip to Granite Peak and whatever other "mountains" Illinois has to offer, to remind my snowboard of what it's missing at home. :P

I've taken a few day trips just to get out of the city and explore the area. It's also useful for picking stuff up at Ikea. That said, it is quite expensive to have a car here and I don't use mine very often.
And as someone who's used to skiing in New England (and spent a winter working in Vail), it's a bit, uh, flat here.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks bjsesq and Holly! (re: PI) The more I find out about Northwestern, the more I like it. :-) And the LRAP program is the most generous of anywhere I've gotten in.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:34 am

Just found this thread. This part was creepy.

What I'm saying is that it seems like a liberal arts major who spent 1 year after college waiting tables and got into NU might not have any greater shot at biglaw than had they gone to GULC or Cornell

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”