Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby whereskyle » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:26 pm

norkanite wrote:Any pros/cons to signing a June lease instead of something closer to the start date? Also, do musicians link up and form shitty bands to blow off steam?


I received a mandolin as a gift yesterday. I'm interested.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:49 pm

whereskyle wrote:
norkanite wrote:Any pros/cons to signing a June lease instead of something closer to the start date? Also, do musicians link up and form shitty bands to blow off steam?


I received a mandolin as a gift yesterday. I'm interested.


Yay mandolin players! (Me too).

In answer to the original question, some people do, but most people find they're too busy with other things.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:16 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
norkanite wrote:Any pros/cons to signing a June lease instead of something closer to the start date? Also, do musicians link up and form shitty bands to blow off steam?


I received a mandolin as a gift yesterday. I'm interested.


Yay mandolin players! (Me too).

In answer to the original question, some people do, but most people find they're too busy with other things.


(is a gunner)

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:24 am

bjsesq wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
norkanite wrote:Any pros/cons to signing a June lease instead of something closer to the start date? Also, do musicians link up and form shitty bands to blow off steam?


I received a mandolin as a gift yesterday. I'm interested.


Yay mandolin players! (Me too).

In answer to the original question, some people do, but most people find they're too busy with other things.


(is a gunner)


but...


...truth.

User avatar
VulcanVulcanVulcan
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:37 pm

whereskyle wrote:I think that I'm about to become a parks/museums person, so that I can get my stroll on. How about I alternate between concerned professional/academic questioning and relaxed shoot the shit questioning over the next eight months, while I hang out in this thread?

For my next trick, I have two and a half academics questions, which relate to each other. 1: Anyone on this thread pursuing one of NU's offered concentrations? 2: Is it advisable to take "easy" electives during 1L, or to explore areas of interest (I.e., policing and mediation)? (More broadly, are you being extremely particular about preparing a course list for transcripts?)

Thanks, upperclasspeople.


Forget about the concentrations. They are useless. I don't know anyone who is actively doing one.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:18 am

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
whereskyle wrote:I think that I'm about to become a parks/museums person, so that I can get my stroll on. How about I alternate between concerned professional/academic questioning and relaxed shoot the shit questioning over the next eight months, while I hang out in this thread?

For my next trick, I have two and a half academics questions, which relate to each other. 1: Anyone on this thread pursuing one of NU's offered concentrations? 2: Is it advisable to take "easy" electives during 1L, or to explore areas of interest (I.e., policing and mediation)? (More broadly, are you being extremely particular about preparing a course list for transcripts?)

Thanks, upperclasspeople.


Forget about the concentrations. They are useless. I don't know anyone who is actively doing one.

This. I also looked to see if I could pick one up easily because I had taken a few classes in one area and found out the number of classes you need to take is obscene.

As for 2, generally people should take the electives that give them the best chance at a high grade since you only get one shot at OCI.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Bumi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:32 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Forget about the concentrations. They are useless. I don't know anyone who is actively doing one.


I accidentally got myself one class away from one. I have absolutely zero interest in taking the last class.

terriers
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby terriers » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Anybody have any idea how to apply 529 money to tuition? Sell a first-born child? I had a check sent a few weeks ago and the helpful response from Office of Student Accounts was, "we don't have it."

Good thing the Internet doesn't exist in 2013 or anything, so it's impossible to just do the transfer that way.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Thoughts on antitrust (Fischman) and basic federal income tax (Cameron)?

Snape
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Snape » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:53 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:federal income tax (Cameron)?
crumpetsandtea wrote:Thoughts on antitrust (Fischman) and basic federal income tax (Cameron)?


Cameron is fine if you realize he hates curves because they inflate grades

peachisthebest
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby peachisthebest » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks for offering some insight into the unseen. I just wanted a glimpse behind the current employment stats, as clerkships and gov't/pi are goals of mine. Thanks for the congrats, as well. As I wrote, to be admitted ED is a real blessing.

A less paranoid question: Anyone move out to Chicago for the first time to start at NU? I've never been. Do you like it? Hate it? Love it? For comparison, I live in Berkeley right now. I like it, altho it's pricey. I'm a walking/hiking/parks enthusiast. I hear that the lake is good for that. Any other nice out of doors opportunities? Moreover, what offerings do you like to take advantage of in Chicago? I'm excited!


As stated by someone else, the clerkship guru started last year. Clerkships are being emphasized a great deal (can't speak to before, since I'm a 2L). NW is also rather corporate-heavy, and clerkships are usually pursued by people interested in litigation, which may skew numbers down. Also, grade cutoffs are pretty high. Compared to similar schools, I don't see NW as being at a disadvantage for clerkships. I don't know anything about gov't/PI.

(edited because I messed up the quoting somehow)
Chicago is beautiful (yes, flat, but beautiful). If you've never been, try and come beforehand so you can at least look at the neighborhoods. I recommend at least looking at Lincoln Park/Lakeview before settling on Streeterville for an apartment (if cheap is the only goal, Rogers Park works, and you can take the shuttle).

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby NYC-WVU » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:09 pm

This could easily be answered by the school website, but it appears to be down at the moment and my wife and I chose this time to schedule our vacations for the next year.
Can anyone tell me roughly when orientation will begin in August and how much time/when I will have off for Christmas/New Year?

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby chill » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:18 pm

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby NYC-WVU » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:45 pm

chill wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:This could easily be answered by the school website, but it appears to be down at the moment and my wife and I chose this time to schedule our vacations for the next year.
Can anyone tell me roughly when orientation will begin in August and how much time/when I will have off for Christmas/New Year?


This should help.

Orientation started in late August and you'll get three weeks for the holidays (Dec 19-Jan 12).

Thanks so much.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby whereskyle » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:24 pm

peachisthebest wrote:
Thanks for offering some insight into the unseen. I just wanted a glimpse behind the current employment stats, as clerkships and gov't/pi are goals of mine. Thanks for the congrats, as well. As I wrote, to be admitted ED is a real blessing.

A less paranoid question: Anyone move out to Chicago for the first time to start at NU? I've never been. Do you like it? Hate it? Love it? For comparison, I live in Berkeley right now. I like it, altho it's pricey. I'm a walking/hiking/parks enthusiast. I hear that the lake is good for that. Any other nice out of doors opportunities? Moreover, what offerings do you like to take advantage of in Chicago? I'm excited!


As stated by someone else, the clerkship guru started last year. Clerkships are being emphasized a great deal (can't speak to before, since I'm a 2L). NW is also rather corporate-heavy, and clerkships are usually pursued by people interested in litigation, which may skew numbers down. Also, grade cutoffs are pretty high. Compared to similar schools, I don't see NW as being at a disadvantage for clerkships. I don't know anything about gov't/PI.

(edited because I messed up the quoting somehow)
Chicago is beautiful (yes, flat, but beautiful). If you've never been, try and come beforehand so you can at least look at the neighborhoods. I recommend at least looking at Lincoln Park/Lakeview before settling on Streeterville for an apartment (if cheap is the only goal, Rogers Park works, and you can take the shuttle).


Thank you very much for this response.

wahoolaw16
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby wahoolaw16 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Hey guys,

I'm at UVA and I'm registered to take Antitrust with McGinnis this semester. If anyone on here has taken it with him recently at NW (he taught it fall 2013), I have a couple of Qs:

1. What casebook does he use - or could you provide a link to the syllabus?

2. Does he employ a narrow or wide grading curve, if it's possible to know this at NW without surveying everyone (this info used to be published at UVA for all courses here, but that was discontinued this fall - not that it would have helped me with McGinnis, who has not taught here before)

3. Any tips generally on taking/succeeding in his classes?

Thanks so much!

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby splitmuch » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:14 pm

wahoolaw16 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm at UVA and I'm registered to take Antitrust with McGinnis this semester. If anyone on here has taken it with him recently at NW (he taught it fall 2013), I have a couple of Qs:

1. What casebook does he use - or could you provide a link to the syllabus?

2. Does he employ a narrow or wide grading curve, if it's possible to know this at NW without surveying everyone (this info used to be published at UVA for all courses here, but that was discontinued this fall - not that it would have helped me with McGinnis, who has not taught here before)

3. Any tips generally on taking/succeeding in his classes?

Thanks so much!


Pm me your email address

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:28 pm

Is he leaving NU?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13661
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Is he leaving NU?

probably just visiting at UVA for the semester. Pretty normal thing for profs to do.

See, e.g., the debacle resulting from Nzelibe visiting at NYU

wahoolaw16
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby wahoolaw16 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:48 am

Blumpbeef wrote:Is he leaving NU?


He's just visiting.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby whereskyle » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:56 pm

ED admit here. Would anyone pursuing PI be willing to PM me, so that I may have a mentor with whom to commiserate?
Last edited by whereskyle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby whereskyle » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Also, I'm hoping that all of you upperclasspeople are safe, happy, and warm despite the weather.

User avatar
Roll Fizzlebeef
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:Is he leaving NU?

probably just visiting at UVA for the semester. Pretty normal thing for profs to do.

See, e.g., the debacle resulting from Nzelibe visiting at NYU


His dislike for Chicago has been well-noted, however, and I do believe his wife is in the DC area. It wouldn't be surprising to see him try and make a move at some point.

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:Is he leaving NU?

probably just visiting at UVA for the semester. Pretty normal thing for profs to do.

See, e.g., the debacle resulting from Nzelibe visiting at NYU

guess how many practice exams we got from him?

zero

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:15 pm

For spring OCI are there seriously only 12 total employers or am I doing this wrong?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest