Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Flips88

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Does Cliff know that when he sends his copied and pasted bullshit emails, the gmail shows it as a thread so it shows he sent the exact same email on December 19, 2012 too?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Flips88 wrote:Does Cliff know that when he sends his copied and pasted bullshit emails, the gmail shows it as a thread so it shows he sent the exact same email on December 19, 2012 too?

But this time it's orange.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Any insider information regarding admissions decision activity? It's been quiet all week.

Maybe pay them a visit and just bring it up casually.

EDIT: This post was just a joke and also decisions are now coming out.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:56 pm

holy fucking freedom, batman.

remind me to never 1L again.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:09 am

Where can I find a list of firms that come to OCI? Does NALP have this info? I couldn't find it on there. Thanks.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:47 pm

so ive got a couple more days to blow in chicago any advice on what i should do?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:13 pm

dstars823 wrote:so ive got a couple more days to blow in chicago any advice on what i should do?

Art Institute
Field Museum
Shedd Aquarium
Lincoln Park Zoo Christmas lights
Eataly

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:so ive got a couple more days to blow in chicago any advice on what i should do?

Art Institute
Field Museum
Shedd Aquarium
Eataly

How long does zoo lights run for? I really want to go but won't be back till the 6th.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:06 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Art Institute
Field Museum
Shedd Aquarium
Eataly

How long does zoo lights run for? I really want to go but won't be back till the 6th.

Jan 5, unfortunately.

The Art Institute has a new Christmas Creche that is supposed to be spectacular. I hope it's on display for a while after Xmas, too.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Dear Upperclassmen, I'm a 0L admitted ED last week, which is a real blessing. I wonder if you'd like to weigh in on a few trifling concerns of a 0L. You'll quickly see that I'm an uninitiated kid staring at lstscorereports too frequently. Anyways here goes:

Do you perceive that the 75% new grad employment number is going to be the new norm? Is it just the state of the market, or are there things that NU can do/is doing to improve it? Also, is the lack of Public Interest employment/clerkship placement due to self-selection or just non-availability to all but the students with the best grades? I apologize if these questions come off as extremely rude and ill-informed. Its a tough world, so I don't expect entitlement, but perhaps you can elucidate the numbers I stare at everyday.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Go to the Christkindlmarkt [sic]. It's surprisingly pretty fun.

Fabulist

Postby Fabulist » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:06 am

whereskyle wrote:Dear Upperclassmen, I'm a 0L admitted ED last week, which is a real blessing. I wonder if you'd like to weigh in on a few trifling concerns of a 0L. You'll quickly see that I'm an uninitiated kid staring at lstscorereports too frequently. Anyways here goes:

Do you perceive that the 75% new grad employment number is going to be the new norm? Is it just the state of the market, or are there things that NU can do/is doing to improve it? Also, is the lack of Public Interest employment/clerkship placement due to self-selection or just non-availability to all but the students with the best grades? I apologize if these questions come off as extremely rude and ill-informed. Its a tough world, so I don't expect entitlement, but perhaps you can elucidate the numbers I stare at everyday.

I mean I don't really know what you're looking for here. "Yes don't worry we got a promise from firms that hiring will be great in two years?" "NU has been refusing to do something we all know would magically improve employment numbers, but I bet you can harass them into doing it?"

You got a good deal, you're bearing a lot less risk than kids paying sticker or going somewhere outside the t14. You've still got a great shot at doing whatever it is you want. Chill out.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:08 am

whereskyle wrote:Dear Upperclassmen, I'm a 0L admitted ED last week, which is a real blessing. I wonder if you'd like to weigh in on a few trifling concerns of a 0L. You'll quickly see that I'm an uninitiated kid staring at lstscorereports too frequently. Anyways here goes:

Our JD/MBAs tend to lean strongly towards non-JD required jobs, so that skews our numbers somewhat. And NU's clerkship guru is still pretty new to the school, but she's working on increasing placement there as well. And congrats on ED

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:19 am

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:

gonna go check this out tomorrow

carmensandiego

Postby carmensandiego » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:06 am

dstars823 wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:

gonna go check this out tomorrow

If you like wine, get the warm mulled wine. It didn't disappoint.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:38 am

Our JD/MBAs tend to lean strongly towards non-JD required jobs, so that skews our numbers somewhat. And NU's clerkship guru is still pretty new to the school, but she's working on increasing placement there as well. And congrats on ED[/quote]

Thanks for offering some insight into the unseen. I just wanted a glimpse behind the current employment stats, as clerkships and gov't/pi are goals of mine. Thanks for the congrats, as well. As I wrote, to be admitted ED is a real blessing.

A less paranoid question: Anyone move out to Chicago for the first time to start at NU? I've never been. Do you like it? Hate it? Love it? For comparison, I live in Berkeley right now. I like it, altho it's pricey. I'm a walking/hiking/parks enthusiast. I hear that the lake is good for that. Any other nice out of doors opportunities? Moreover, what offerings do you like to take advantage of in Chicago? I'm excited!

chill

Postby chill » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Chicago is a great city. Parks, lake, events, restaurants, architecture etc. But the area does not have much in terms of nature.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:10 pm

I think that I'm about to become a parks/museums person, so that I can get my stroll on. How about I alternate between concerned professional/academic questioning and relaxed shoot the shit questioning over the next eight months, while I hang out in this thread?

For my next trick, I have two and a half academics questions, which relate to each other. 1: Anyone on this thread pursuing one of NU's offered concentrations? 2: Is it advisable to take "easy" electives during 1L, or to explore areas of interest (I.e., policing and mediation)? (More broadly, are you being extremely particular about preparing a course list for transcripts?)

Thanks, upperclasspeople.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:21 pm

whereskyle wrote:I think that I'm about to become a parks/museums person, so that I can get my stroll on. How about I alternate between concerned professional/academic questioning and relaxed shoot the shit questioning over the next eight months, while I hang out in this thread?

For my next trick, I have two and a half academics questions, which relate to each other. 1: Anyone on this thread pursuing one of NU's offered concentrations? 2: Is it advisable to take "easy" electives during 1L, or to explore areas of interest (I.e., policing and mediation)? (More broadly, are you being extremely particular about preparing a course list for transcripts?)

Thanks, upperclasspeople.

Take easy electives so that you get a good GPA. You can explore areas of interest during 2L/3L.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Also, has anyone offered pro bono to edit the incredible amount of NU website typos? They're making me sick.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:06 pm

whereskyle wrote:Also, has anyone offered pro bono to edit the incredible amount of NU website typos? They're making me sick.

lol

norkanite

Postby norkanite » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Last edited by norkanite on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:56 pm

norkanite wrote:Any pros/cons to signing a June lease instead of something closer to the start date? Also, do musicians link up and form shitty bands to blow off steam?

It's often cheaper and you won't have to sublease next summer and you won't have to move in the middle of OCI. Basically all pro, no con if you are coming to chicago in June anyway.

norkanite

Postby norkanite » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Last edited by norkanite on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”