Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Roll Fizzlebeef

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:I think thefuturenow was referring to taking fed jur as a 1L.

Oh. Well that'd be a terrible life choice and shouldn't be done.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:37 pm

lgleye wrote:Can anyone give me feedback on Barsa for Environmental Law? I heard good things about him for Natural Resources, but not Environmental. Tough grader or hard course?

I liked him for both classes. Enviro is a more statute/admin heavy class so I think it is a bit harder. I don't think of him as a tough grader but I don't have a ton of data on that and he seems to grade and test both classes similarly.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:41 am

It is 10:41 and I am still in class (which started at 6). Just something to consider if you ever plan on taking Project Finance.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:20 am

Blumpbeef wrote:I think thefuturenow was referring to taking fed jur as a 1L.

I think so too...which was unresponsive to the question posed

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:32 pm

What are some good resources for getting PTs that our profs don't release themselves? Other PTs from my profs would be awesome, but I'm also looking at getting tests from other profs for classes where our prof has never taught it and there aren't any PTs from him. ty

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Cobretti wrote:What are some good resources for getting PTs that our profs don't release themselves? Other PTs from my profs would be awesome, but I'm also looking at getting tests from other profs for classes where our prof has never taught it and there aren't any PTs from him. ty

The library website has a few (mostly older) past exams.
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/library ... ereserves/

I think in some cases, distributing past exams is an honor code violation (if the prof hasn't given permission for an exam to be widely distributed?), so there aren't as many exams floating around as outlines. But maybe I'm wrong and that just applies to distributing the exams that you actually TOOK in past terms, which is definitely a violation.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:42 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:What are some good resources for getting PTs that our profs don't release themselves? Other PTs from my profs would be awesome, but I'm also looking at getting tests from other profs for classes where our prof has never taught it and there aren't any PTs from him. ty

I think in some cases, distributing past exams is an honor code violation (if the prof hasn't given permission for an exam to be widely distributed?), so there aren't as many exams floating around as outlines. But maybe I'm wrong and that just applies to distributing the exams that you actually TOOK in past terms, which is definitely a violation.

You're definitely not supposed to get old exams by your prof that the prof themselves haven't given your class permission to have. This is mostly because profs are lazy fucks and will often recycle exam questions with minor tweaks.

Sometimes you can find old exams from other schools from just googling around. At the very least, you'll find some fact patterns you can practice issue spotting on.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll try google.

I think I'm OK in Ks and torts, but for civ pro there is only 2 tests that Allen released, and Margulies has never taught crim so there's nothing to be found for him. So does anyone have any thoughts on which of the following profs' exams would be most similar to Allen (Civ) or Margulies (Crim)? For crim I know no one really knows what Margulies' tests are like, but based on his practice midterm its going to be pretty standard issue spotting with a strong focus on policy, if that helps with recommendations.

Civ Pro:
Bowman
Elson
Hoskins
Hughes
Marshall
Pfander
Redish

Crim:
Drizin
Heinz
Nadler
Polsby
Robinson
Rubinowitz

Thanks again

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:16 pm

I thought I remembered Allen having two exams released last year.

Anyway, I think one is all you need. Civ Pro exams are pretty formulaic; look to his sample just to get an idea of how hard it is and how much he expects you to write (very, and a lot).

Any exam with a fact pattern that lets you deal with Personal jurisdiction, subject matter, venue, choice of law and erie is going to be good practice. Just create a section for each and analyze all the issues.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:I thought I remembered Allen having two exams released last year.

Anyway, I think one is all you need. Civ Pro exams are pretty formulaic; look to his sample just to get an idea of how hard it is and how much he expects you to write (very, and a lot).

In the last 5 minutes our TA graciously posted a second one, so ya I have 2 now. And ya I'm planning on probably taking his exam(s) first then using other profs just to practice issue spotting, like flips recommended.

No plan of attack from crim though, so that sucks.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Flips88 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

You're definitely not supposed to get old exams by your prof that the prof themselves haven't given your class permission to have. This is mostly because profs are lazy fucks and will often recycle exam questions with minor tweaks.

Sometimes you can find old exams from other schools from just googling around. At the very least, you'll find some fact patterns you can practice issue spotting on.

Same holds for answers. It is a violation to get past exam answers from other students that the pro himself has not released.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:32 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
To: Northwestern Law Community
Re: Change in Rubloff Atrium Event Policy
Date: November 21, 2013

Last night, a University-sponsored event that was held in the Atrium was loud enough to disrupt classes along our major corridors in Rubloff. Although it is necessary on occasion to utilize Law School spaces for events, particularly the Atrium, this was too much and I want to take this opportunity to apologize for the disruption.

Upon reflection and conversation with Dean Rodriguez,
we have decided to restrict Atrium event usage to Law School-sponsored events only.

We are excited to continue to work with the community to make Northwestern Law an inspirational and productive place to work, teach and learn. It is our hope that this policy change can help to keep our focus on the student experience at Northwestern.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Director, Facilities and Space Planning
Northwestern University
School of Law

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:08 pm

About fucking time.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
To: Northwestern Law Community
Re: Change in Rubloff Atrium Event Policy
Date: November 21, 2013

Last night, a University-sponsored event that was held in the Atrium was loud enough to disrupt classes along our major corridors in Rubloff. Although it is necessary on occasion to utilize Law School spaces for events, particularly the Atrium, this was too much and I want to take this opportunity to apologize for the disruption.

Upon reflection and conversation with Dean Rodriguez,
we have decided to restrict Atrium event usage to Law School-sponsored events only.

We are excited to continue to work with the community to make Northwestern Law an inspirational and productive place to work, teach and learn. It is our hope that this policy change can help to keep our focus on the student experience at Northwestern.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Director, Facilities and Space Planning
Northwestern University
School of Law

How many times did the dean say he had no control over using the school as an event space and that it was administration in Evanston that did? And now he does? Cool.

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:30 pm

My question is whether outside organizations can be " sponsored" by the law school by providing a nice donation.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:43 am

Last edited by guinness1547 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:50 am

guinness1547 wrote:Hey guys, my torts professor(Cynthia Bowman) used to teach at Northwestern and I found a few of her exams here http://www.law.northwestern.edu/library ... index.html . You need a password to access it, and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to download them for me and email/message them to me?

This is probably a violation of your school's honor code.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:05 am

Last edited by guinness1547 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:54 am

Looks like this thread is full of a lot of admits. Sorry to veer this off course.

Did any of you have luck applying extremely late in the cycle? February late.

Magnalum

Postby Magnalum » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Last edited by Magnalum on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Young Marino

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Young Marino » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:14 am

How much emphasis is put on work experience during the admissions process and what types of jobs are they looking for to go along with this work experience? Also, is the environment really competitive at NU since most grads are looking at a really good job after graduation?

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Young Marino wrote:How much emphasis is put on work experience during the admissions process and what types of jobs are they looking for to go along with this work experience? Also, is the environment really competitive at NU since most grads are looking at a really good job after graduation?

My opinions:

1. Work experience is important, and something that the school focuses on. It might be slightly less important today than a few years ago because of the change of deans and the reduction of law school applications, but it's still important. You can get in without WE, but probably only if you are otherwise a significantly above average candidate.

2. The environment is not particularly competitive. There are some gunners who try really hard to "win" at law school, but these are a minority. In general the atmosphere is very friendly and I think most people view their classmates as friends (or at least colleagues) and not rivals.

Also, there is a search box at the bottom left corner of this thread. What you asked has been asked before so you can search for earlier answers to the question as well.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:44 am

life right now:

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Cobretti wrote:life right now:
[img]gif[/img]

i'm trying so hard not to think about that fact that all the work so far as only been for 1/4 exams. :/

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Hey NU'ers with families! I have a few questions. Would you mind PM'ing me so I can ask specific questions? I am married and will have 2 kids under 3 when I (hopefully/possibly) matriculate. Thanks in advance!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”