Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Micdiddy

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:34 pm

After Round 1 bidding ended I had a 2l tell me lengthily to drop BA with Litvak. I said Litvak gets mixed reviews and he basically told me his mission in life is to tell people not to take her. Exaggerating? I hear she talks to the class like they're all idiots, is it really this bad? Shoked recommended her, and I trust Shoked.
Also, if I do follow this advice I won't be able to take BA (the other class is rather full), which I kind of want to take for the pre-req value and for resumes for this summer. No big deal to postpone BA a year, or just get it out of the way? (Fwiw my other class is Law Firm management).

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:44 pm

You don't need BA as a 1L elective, so don't take it because you feel you have to even if you don't want the professor. That being said, I know a lot of people who liked Litvak just fine. I don't think she is anyone's favorite professor, but she isn't one of the worst either.

To be fair, I didn't take her class, so I don't have any specific info, but I'd recommend you talk to more than one person who's had her instead of listening to one guy who probably had an unusually bad experience.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Litvak is fine. I don't see the need to take BA as a 1L but there's nothing wrong with her.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:42 pm

elibrarian wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:if you're taking antitrust please drop it and take someone else with you

Whose the prof? Not sure you actually want this.

fischman. uncurved is that much worse than 42 person curve?

He hasn't taught antitrust before but from what I've heard, he curved an otherwise uncurved Admin class last semester.

Fischman is fine as a prof but he will curve an uncurved class. So it doesn't matter whether there are 40 or 41 students in the class.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Kikero wrote:You don't need BA as a 1L elective, so don't take it because you feel you have to even if you don't want the professor. That being said, I know a lot of people who liked Litvak just fine. I don't think she is anyone's favorite professor, but she isn't one of the worst either.

To be fair, I didn't take her class, so I don't have any specific info, but I'd recommend you talk to more than one person who's had her instead of listening to one guy who probably had an unusually bad experience.

hated her. least favorite professor so far in all of school (and i was in the section that had scumbag steve dean d-rod as property professor)

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Personally, I liked Litvak and I recommend her to people. I am actually surprised that so many people dislike her. She is very clear in what she says, and her lectures sound almost like a supplement. I have heard though of a lot of people hating her... so I guess she is really hit or miss for people considering her class.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Micdiddy wrote:After Round 1 bidding ended I had a 2l tell me lengthily to drop BA with Litvak. I said Litvak gets mixed reviews and he basically told me his mission in life is to tell people not to take her. Exaggerating? I hear she talks to the class like they're all idiots, is it really this bad? Shoked recommended her, and I trust Shoked.
Also, if I do follow this advice I won't be able to take BA (the other class is rather full), which I kind of want to take for the pre-req value and for resumes for this summer. No big deal to postpone BA a year, or just get it out of the way? (Fwiw my other class is Law Firm management).

Can you take Corp instead of BA? Fulfills the same pre-req value and employers don't know the difference.

1L elective corp (uncurved and taught on kellog schedule) + 2L uncurved Lutz M & A is TCR.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:23 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:After Round 1 bidding ended I had a 2l tell me lengthily to drop BA with Litvak. I said Litvak gets mixed reviews and he basically told me his mission in life is to tell people not to take her. Exaggerating? I hear she talks to the class like they're all idiots, is it really this bad? Shoked recommended her, and I trust Shoked.

Can you take Corp instead of BA? Fulfills the same pre-req value and employers don't know the difference.

1L elective corp (uncurved and taught on kellog schedule) + 2L uncurved Lutz M & A is TCR.

Yes, but Kellogg does curve (although it's not mandatory) and most Kellogg instructors only give full letter grades (A, B, C). Your chances of getting an A are significantly higher (~40% of grades) but you get screwed if you wind up around median or below.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Eigen isn't teaching BA this semester, it's Litvak or Silver.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Can anyone save my ass with an outline for Sec Reg?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:43 am

I have a lot of sec reg outlines... pm me.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Choose my 1-draft class for me:
Entertainment Law
Litigation and the Court of Public Opinion
Food and Drug Law, or
Globalization and the Legal Profession?

Don't care that much about which one it is, because I'm not that interested in any of them (since there's no chance I'll get into Contemporary Supreme Court Cases). But I need something light to go with the rest of my schedule.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Has anyone taken jurisprudence as a 1L elective?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:51 am

echooo23 wrote:Choose my 1-draft class for me:
Entertainment Law
Food and Drug Law, or

Don't care that much about which one it is, because I'm not that interested in any of them (since there's no chance I'll get into Contemporary Suthe work preme Court Cases). But I need something light to go with the rest of my schedule.

Lit and public opinion if you can deal with the time. Some of the stuff is pretty interesting, the work is non existent, the grading is easy, and to fulfill the two draft requirement the assignment is literally an extra paragraph.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:56 am

Has anyone gone to any clerkship meetings? What, if anything, did kadens say about the necessity of taking fed jur if you want to clerk but plan to practice for a couple years first

thefuturenow

Postby thefuturenow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:21 am

splitmuch wrote:Has anyone gone to any clerkship meetings? What, if anything, did kadens say about the necessity of taking fed jur if you want to clerk but plan to practice for a couple years first

She said don't be stupid. Take that 2L year.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:16 pm

splitmuch wrote:
echooo23 wrote:Choose my 1-draft class for me:
Entertainment Law
Food and Drug Law, or

Don't care that much about which one it is, because I'm not that interested in any of them (since there's no chance I'll get into Contemporary Suthe work preme Court Cases). But I need something light to go with the rest of my schedule.

Lit and public opinion if you can deal with the time. Some of the stuff is pretty interesting, the work is non existent, the grading is easy, and to fulfill the two draft requirement the assignment is literally an extra paragraph.

Solid. Thanks!

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:19 pm

thefuturenow wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Has anyone gone to any clerkship meetings? What, if anything, did kadens say about the necessity of taking fed jur if you want to clerk but plan to practice for a couple years first

Well 2L year has already passed by...

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:22 am

Insurance law w/Friedman, uncurved V. american legal history w Presser, curved - thoughts?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:41 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Insurance law w/Friedman, uncurved V. american legal history w Presser, curved - thoughts?

Presser sucks in my opinion.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 am

Flips88 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Insurance law w/Friedman, uncurved V. american legal history w Presser, curved - thoughts?

Presser sucks in my opinion.

Yeah, I remember you saying that before. Ended up choosing insurance law, mostly because it would be a backup class anyway, so I just spent 1 point on it.

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:15 pm

thefuturenow wrote:

I didn't go to the meeting, but I vividly remember an email that said "You do need to take Federal Jurisdiction. You do NOT need to take Federal Jurisdiction your 2L year. In fact, you probably shouldn't." Did she really change course on that one?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:17 pm

I think thefuturenow was referring to taking fed jur as a 1L.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”