Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Flustercluck

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flustercluck » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:24 pm

LOL, I got something similar from someone who went to my UG, made me laugh that she graduated 2 years after i did...

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Oh my god, Chicago is fucking miserable, stay far, far away.

Current temp: 4. Today's high: 10. HIGH.

forward

Postby forward » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Oh my god, Chicago is fucking miserable, stay far, far away.

Your current temp was our high, and I'm just over 150 miles northwest. It didn't crack into positive territory until noon.

Count your blessings. :D

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Oh my god, Chicago is fucking miserable, stay far, far away.

It isn't the temp. It's the fucking wind today. Brutal as fuck near the lake.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I'm transferring to somewhere warm. I feel I would fit in well at UVA, what with the softball and the beer...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:39 am

I'd much rather be cold than hot.

And by hot, I mean anything over 75. (Yes, I know it gets hot in Chicago in the summer.)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:52 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

And by hot, I mean anything over 75. (Yes, I know it gets hot in Chicago in the summer.)

I have a question. And I don't mean this to be rude. But wtf is wrong with you?

forward

Postby forward » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:05 am

Any advice on roommates? Yes, no? What's the best way to meet them, other than ASW?

I'd like to have one because it makes living seem so much more affordable. Also, on that note: what are the more affordable areas north of the campus, ideally no further than Ravenswood? What's a typical 1 BR cost in said area? 2?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:14 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I have a question. And I don't mean this to be rude. But wtf is wrong with you?

If it's cold, you can always put on more clothes or wrap up in a blanket or drink a hot beverage, but if you get overheated, you're SOL. Until this summer when I finally bought one of those dinky freestanding units for my living room, I'd never lived anywhere with a/c, so I had no way to escape the heat. I don't like the grimy feeling of getting sweaty (except for recreational purposes!), and I'm much more comfortable in jeans and a hoody than teeny little shorts and tanks.

During the winter, I generally only turn on the heat when it gets below 56 inside. Then I might get crazy and turn the thermostat to 60.

Bizarrely, my office is heated to 72 and I am fucking FREEZING in there, all day every day, without fail. I think it's because my job is so mind-numbingly boring that my brain assumes I've actually died and shuts down my metabolism.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:10 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Surely you can get take one of those Northwestern "Short term emergency" loans to cover a serious parka investment...maybe one with a heated liner or something.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
manyu wrote:What percent of 1Ls would you estimate live in Streeterville?

60% maybe? Maybe 2/3?

I think this is pretty accurate. I don't live in Streeterville, and am happy about my choice. I only have like a 9 block walk to school as well.

For any admitted students, my apartment is offering a referral bonus that I'm willing to give you a portion. It's not much, but it'd give you some spending money.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:02 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

60% maybe? Maybe 2/3?

I think this is pretty accurate. I don't live in Streeterville, and am happy about my choice. I only have like a 9 block walk to school as well.

For any admitted students, my apartment is offering a referral bonus that I'm willing to give you a portion. It's not much, but it'd give you some spending money.

I'm currently looking, where do you live?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:16 pm

I started to look at the apartment situation yesterday, even though I haven't officially decided to go yet. Would it be reasonable to wait to put a deposit on a place until May? Also, do buildings near the school typically have parking somehow?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Bumi wrote:I started to look at the apartment situation yesterday, even though I haven't officially decided to go yet. Would it be reasonable to wait to put a deposit on a place until May? Also, do buildings near the school typically have parking somehow?

You can definitely wait til may. Parking can be very expensive. My buildings is about 225 dollars. I've heard rumors of less but damn.

If you are going to keep a car, I'd live further up the lake. Lake shore drive is quick drive in non rush hour drives.

adamdroog

Postby adamdroog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

60% maybe? Maybe 2/3?

I am interested. Is there a website for the building I could check out?

forward

Postby forward » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:12 pm

adamdroog wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

60% maybe? Maybe 2/3?

I am interested. Is there a website for the building I could check out?

ditto.

Also - anyone want to take a stab at my post up thread re: roomies?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:14 pm

re: roomies and getting to know your classmates, at some point they will set up a "Class of 2014" group on facebook, which is great for meeting people. Also, ASW, TLS, etc.

Now who has challenges?

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:55 am

No WE after college for me, so I decided not to apply (GPA, LSAT). However, I'll have 16 months of meaningful work by the time classes begin, which includes working on deadlines, substantial responsibilities, and research publications. Did I make a mistake not applying - I have a fee waiver - or is it for the best, since I'd likely get rejected (and even if I got in, I'd be 4 years younger than the median student)?
Last edited by ATR on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:57 am

atresia wrote:No WE after college for me, so I decided not to apply (3.9, 169). However, I'll have 16 months of meaningful work by the time classes begin, which includes working on deadlines, substantial responsibilities, and research publications. Did I make a mistake not applying - I have a fee waiver - or is it for the best, since I'd likely get rejected (and even if I got in, I'd be 4 years younger than the median student)?

Considering you lose nothing by applying, why wouldn't you?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:59 am

atresia wrote:No WE after college for me, so I decided not to apply (3.9, 169). However, I'll have 16 months of meaningful work by the time classes begin, which includes working on deadlines, substantial responsibilities, and research publications. Did I make a mistake not applying - I have a fee waiver - or is it for the best, since I'd likely get rejected (and even if I got in, I'd be 4 years younger than the median student)?

You should probably apply. One year is enough to be considered.

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:59 am

bjsesq wrote:

For the reasons I stated. I more than likely would be denied, and even if I got in, I would probably be at a disadvantage come OCI due to my lack of postgrad WE when all my peers have it.

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:You should probably apply. One year is enough to be considered.

Assuming I do, should I write a short addendum explaining that my WE isn't typical bullshit undergrad work? FYI: one of my recs is from my boss, so maybe the addendum would be redundant.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:07 am

atresia wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You should probably apply. One year is enough to be considered.

Assuming I do, should I write a short addendum explaining that my WE isn't typical bullshit undergrad work? FYI: one of my recs is from my boss, so maybe the addendum would be redundant.

No addendum needed.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:08 am

atresia wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

For the reasons I stated. I more than likely would be denied, and even if I got in, I would probably be at a disadvantage come OCI due to my lack of postgrad WE when all my peers have it.

You have a legitimate concern about OCI, though I can't attest to how much it would hurt you. I still think you should apply.

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:49 am

Application sent.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”