Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bk1

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:07 pm

LRGhost wrote:Anyone have 14th Am. with Hughes? There's a conflict between that, Local Government with Shoked, and Law Firm Management... with Lutz. I figure all three can't hit the curve but assuming I have a choice, does anyone have any opinion one way or the other?

There's been a history of people doing pretty well in 14A uncurved and I've recommended the class before, but I've heard from people who took her last year that grading can be erratic so I'm not sure what to think now.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:21 pm

bk1 wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Anyone have 14th Am. with Hughes? There's a conflict between that, Local Government with Shoked, and Law Firm Management... with Lutz. I figure all three can't hit the curve but assuming I have a choice, does anyone have any opinion one way or the other?

There's been a history of people doing pretty well in 14A uncurved and I've recommended the class before, but I've heard from people who took her last year that grading can be erratic so I'm not sure what to think now.

Yeah, I got very mixed reactions from searching but I think people were referring to her teaching other courses and not 14A. :/

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Narrative structures is a crapshoot. Some never went to class and did well, some went to class and did horribly. Lubet is difficult to predict.

Koehler is THE guy to take evidence from, imo. Solid grader, good dude. The alternative is Ron Allen, a complete fucking douche who teaches you nothing.

I'd take Allen over Hughes any day.

Weighing in as pro Allen. He comes off scary but his classes are fun once you realize he's all bark and no bite.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Cobretti wrote:Are Barsa and Lutz easy graders?

Barsa is the best ever. That's a comment on his classes, though, not his grading. Word is his exams can be tough. That being said, don't miss out on taking him at least once.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Barsa's exams are tough (densest racehorse issue spotters I've had in law school), but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a tough grader. I don't know enough to know whether he's a easy/tough grader but I highly recommend his classes generally.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 pm

bk1 wrote:Barsa's exams are tough (densest racehorse issue spotters I've had in law school), but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a tough grader. I don't know enough to know whether he's a easy/tough grader but I highly recommend his classes generally.

My impression is that he expects a lot of you and if you can manage not to trip up on his (relatively tough) exam then you will get some sort of A. If you don't "get" the material, it will probably be more obvious to him than it would be to other profs and you won't do as well. He doesn't seem like the type to give you an undeserved A, or the type to give you a C out of spite. There are probably easier uncurved classes out there, but you can still do well in enviro if you do the work.

All that said, definitely highly recommend taking him.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:44 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Narrative structures is a crapshoot. Some never went to class and did well, some went to class and did horribly. Lubet is difficult to predict.

Koehler is THE guy to take evidence from, imo. Solid grader, good dude. The alternative is Ron Allen, a complete fucking douche who teaches you nothing.

Weighing in as pro Allen. He comes off scary but his classes are fun once you realize he's all bark and no bite.

He's not scary at all, just a fuckbag. Fun as in, watch me openly say fuck the material and talk about whatever I want?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:55 am

bjsesq wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

He's not scary at all, just a fuckbag. Fun as in, watch me openly say fuck the material and talk about whatever I want?

He's definitely an acquired taste, but if you can get over his offensive sense of humor and conservatism, he's really interesting (and funny, if you're not easily offended).

I'm glad I had read your take on him before having him as a prof, because I knew what to expect going in, but since I had no fantasies about him teaching me civ pro I just enjoyed the general discussions in the class about whateverthefuck. He teaches a lot of principles that have come in handy in a lot of other law classes.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 am

Thoughts on Economic Analysis of the Law with Haddock?
I has econ backgrounds

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Cobretti wrote:Thoughts on Economic Analysis of the Law with Haddock?
I has econ backgrounds

Seconding this + Koehler if my priority is softest graders in an uncurved class. I heard Haddock's CLASS sucks but as a grader, participating matters.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Basically my question is what are the classes where I don't have to participate or pay attention in class and can still get an A.

edit: for 1L

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:Basically my question is what are the classes where I don't have to participate or pay attention in class and can still get an A.

A+ RC skills bro

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:Basically my question is what are the classes where I don't have to participate or pay attention in class and can still get an A.

14th Amendment.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Flips88 wrote:

14th Amendment.

Goddamn right.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:23 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

14th Amendment.

Goddamn right.

tytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytytyty

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Thoughts on taking IP as a 1L?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:35 pm

simplycatalina wrote:Thoughts on taking IP as a 1L?

I took it last year with Diamond; it was fine. Heard good things about Schwartz or whatever his name is.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Prof next semester should be great, so that's definitely one reason to take it.

From what I've seen, it is helpful if you want to work in patents and you don't have a strong technical background. It helps show an interest and it will help you know WTF you're talking about when you interview for IP positions. There aren't many schools that offer IP to 1Ls so I think it can actually be a real advantage to be able to display some grasp over the subject.

If you have a really strong technical background, you don't need IP on your transcript, so take 14th Amendment instead. The A+ will probably help you a lot more.

If it is uncurved, and you want to do IP, I think it is a no-brainer.

If it is curved, definitely count on it harming your GPA, both from the grade itself and because it will divert you from focusing on other classes. There will be a lot of students in there with IP backgrounds and who are going to be working in IP, so the curve will not be easy. The tradeoff might be worth it, but it depends on what the rest of your resume looks like and what kind of law you want to practice.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:

Prof next semester should be great, so that's definitely one reason to take it.

From what I've seen, it is helpful if you want to work in patents and you don't have a strong technical background. It helps show an interest and it will help you know WTF you're talking about when you interview for IP positions. There aren't many schools that offer IP to 1Ls so I think it can actually be a real advantage to be able to display some grasp over the subject.

If you have a really strong technical background, you don't need IP on your transcript, so take 14th Amendment instead. The A+ will probably help you a lot more.

If it is uncurved, and you want to do IP, I think it is a no-brainer.

If it is curved, definitely count on it harming your GPA, both from the grade itself and because it will divert you from focusing on other classes. There will be a lot of students in there with IP backgrounds and who are going to be working in IP, so the curve will not be easy. The tradeoff might be worth it, but it depends on what the rest of your resume looks like and what kind of law you want to practice.

I don't have a technical background so I was concerned about it harming my GPA if it's curved, but I do want to do IP so I figure I should take it and the professor seems amazing. So if I did that, what would be another easy class to take with it? I've heard mixed things about 14th Amendment but I was considering that or maybe Law and Social Change.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:36 pm

simplycatalina wrote:I don't have a technical background so I was concerned about it harming my GPA if it's curved, but I do want to do IP so I figure I should take it and the professor seems amazing. So if I did that, what would be another easy class to take with it? I've heard mixed things about 14th Amendment but I was considering that or maybe Law and Social Change.

You don't need a technical background to understand IP or patent.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:43 pm

bk1 wrote:
simplycatalina wrote:I don't have a technical background so I was concerned about it harming my GPA if it's curved, but I do want to do IP so I figure I should take it and the professor seems amazing. So if I did that, what would be another easy class to take with it? I've heard mixed things about 14th Amendment but I was considering that or maybe Law and Social Change.

Yeah, there's very little technical stuff in the law class. Maybe a little bit of basic knowledge of how computer programs are compiled, but the case opinions have explanations of the stuff in the facts.

starz

Postby starz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Any thoughts on these courses for 1L Spring? How do you figure out if a class is uncurved/has an easy grader?

Economic Analysis of Law (Haddock)
First Amendment (DeSanto)
Law & Social Change (Len)
Remedies (Lupo)
Evidence (Koehler)

Thanks!

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 pm

bk1 wrote:

A technical background definitely won't be at all an issue in terms of understanding the material in the class. Curve-wise, though, there are going to probably be a good dozen people in there with tech backgrounds that have been exposed to IP before law school that will make getting the highest grades tougher (of course, I could be wrong, I'm just assuming that they were the people at the top of the curve).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
bk1 wrote:

A technical background definitely won't be at all an issue in terms of understanding the material in the class. Curve-wise, though, there are going to probably be a good dozen people in there with tech backgrounds that have been exposed to IP before law school that will make getting the highest grades tougher (of course, I could be wrong, I'm just assuming that they were the people at the top of the curve).

Meh. The best exam takers will still crush any pre-law tech knowledge people, especially since tech knowledge isn't all that helpful for understanding IP law. Plus the class still has a significant TM/copyright component.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:32 pm

Cobretti wrote:Thoughts on Economic Analysis of the Law with Haddock?
I has econ backgrounds

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Worst professor and class I have had at Northwestern. Having an econ background doesn't make it better, either.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”