Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
purpletiger
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby purpletiger » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Cobretti wrote:What are some opinions on taking BA spring 1L? Sounds like if you see yourself going corporate/transactional its a pre-req to basically everything you'd want to take... But on the other hand its guaranteed to be curved. Thoughts?


It might be something you could bring up at OCI (in my BA class, we talked about X and it relates to your firm doing Y), and it might be helpful if firms see you as a flight risk to public interest, government, etc.

But keep in mind that BA will be full of 1L gunner types.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Cobretti wrote:What are some opinions on taking BA spring 1L? Sounds like if you see yourself going corporate/transactional its a pre-req to basically everything you'd want to take... But on the other hand its guaranteed to be curved. Thoughts?

I took curved BA because I heard the prof was good and I knew I tend to do better in classes where I like the prof.

It's helpful for corp but you're probably not gonna do any corp work until 2L summer so you could just take BA during 2L fall and then take other corp classes during 2L spring. Though honestly I would just take classes you want to take rather than classes you think will be helpful to your career path (unless you are trying to show you are dedicated to a certain path and taking classes in that area can help demonstrate that dedication, e.g, PD/DA stuff).

I would do what you can to maximize your GPA in preparation for 2L OCI. If that means taking uncurved then do that. If that means taking a class you would enjoy from a prof you'd like, then do that.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Don't do it with Litvak if you value your GPA. She's fine, but her exam/curve is brutal in the spring.

bobloblawstudent
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bobloblawstudent » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Does anyone have any useful Redish flowcharts for civ pro?

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby LRGhost » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Any thoughts on Legislation with Jacobi.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Cobretti wrote:What are some opinions on taking BA spring 1L? Sounds like if you see yourself going corporate/transactional its a pre-req to basically everything you'd want to take... But on the other hand its guaranteed to be curved. Thoughts?

Take un curved class with easy graders. You'll have plenty of time to take courses. Only get one shot at oci.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 pm

OK new spring plan per advice ITT...

Environmental Law w/ Barsa and Law Firm Management and Economics w/ Lutz.

Thoughts? Looks like they are both uncurved based on previous bidding, but I still haven't really heard anything about the profs' grading.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:47 pm

That seems like a good schedule. Enviro isn't always uncurved though, and the material can be kind of tough.

yackob
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby yackob » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Re: Env

FYI if you happen to be in section 4 you'll already have Barsa for property. I was going to take it until I realized this.

Anyone else know of good classes that are likely to be uncurved? Too bad bidding history doesn't list # of seats filled.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 pm

yackob wrote:FYI if you happen to be in section 4 you'll already have Barsa for property. I was going to take it until I realized this.

What's wrong with taking 2 classes from the same prof?
yackob wrote:Anyone else know of good classes that are likely to be uncurved? Too bad bidding history doesn't list # of seats filled.

You honestly don't need to worry about which classes will be uncurved. I know you're all neurotic 1Ls and want to have everything set in stone, but if your goal is uncurved classes you have to accept that it won't be. You will be able to add all the uncurved classes you want during add/drop for free since they won't be full.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Bumi » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:09 am

Desert Fox wrote:Take un curved class with easy graders. You'll have plenty of time to take courses. Only get one shot at oci.

Just want to emphasize the part of DF's statement that people often forget when they try to play this game. Just because a class is uncurved does not mean you're guaranteed an A or A- or something. Not all uncurved classes are created equal.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:57 am

Bumi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Take un curved class with easy graders. You'll have plenty of time to take courses. Only get one shot at oci.

Just want to emphasize the part of DF's statement that people often forget when they try to play this game. Just because a class is uncurved does not mean you're guaranteed an A or A- or something. Not all uncurved classes are created equal.

Where can we research that though? I know there was the grade distribution data ITT from like 5 years ago, but is there anything more recent? Even just qualitative reviews would help.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Bumi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Take un curved class with easy graders. You'll have plenty of time to take courses. Only get one shot at oci.

Just want to emphasize the part of DF's statement that people often forget when they try to play this game. Just because a class is uncurved does not mean you're guaranteed an A or A- or something. Not all uncurved classes are created equal.

Where can we research that though? I know there was the grade distribution data ITT from like 5 years ago, but is there anything more recent? Even just qualitative reviews would help.


Word of mouth helps. So does asking here.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:13 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Bumi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Take un curved class with easy graders. You'll have plenty of time to take courses. Only get one shot at oci.

Just want to emphasize the part of DF's statement that people often forget when they try to play this game. Just because a class is uncurved does not mean you're guaranteed an A or A- or something. Not all uncurved classes are created equal.

Where can we research that though? I know there was the grade distribution data ITT from like 5 years ago, but is there anything more recent? Even just qualitative reviews would help.


Word of mouth helps. So does asking here.

Are Barsa and Lutz easy graders?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Thoughts on:

Evidence (Koehler)
Energy/Public Policy (Learner/Cahan)
American Legal History (Presser)
Estates and Trusts (Schanzenbach)
International Law (Damato)
Antitrust (Fischman)
Trademark (Diamond)
Family Law (Yuracko)
Law & Social Change (Rubinowitz)
Narrative Structures (Lubet)

Any obvious take/don't take classes on that list?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Narrative structures is a crapshoot. Some never went to class and did well, some went to class and did horribly. Lubet is difficult to predict.

Koehler is THE guy to take evidence from, imo. Solid grader, good dude. The alternative is Ron Allen, a complete fucking douche who teaches you nothing.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:43 pm

bjsesq wrote:Narrative structures is a crapshoot. Some never went to class and did well, some went to class and did horribly. Lubet is difficult to predict.

Koehler is THE guy to take evidence from, imo. Solid grader, good dude. The alternative is Ron Allen, a complete fucking douche who teaches you nothing.

He is actually referring to himself as The Evidence God these days.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:46 pm

bjsesq wrote:Narrative structures is a crapshoot. Some never went to class and did well, some went to class and did horribly. Lubet is difficult to predict.

Koehler is THE guy to take evidence from, imo. Solid grader, good dude. The alternative is Ron Allen, a complete fucking douche who teaches you nothing.


I'd take Allen over Hughes any day.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Narrative structures is a crapshoot. Some never went to class and did well, some went to class and did horribly. Lubet is difficult to predict.

Koehler is THE guy to take evidence from, imo. Solid grader, good dude. The alternative is Ron Allen, a complete fucking douche who teaches you nothing.


I'd take Allen over Hughes any day.


Hughes is generally harmless, but will help if you go to her. Allen is offended that you would dare ask him to teach.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Drives me fucking crazy that there's not just one big timeblock schedule, from which you can click on a class and get the class description, CTEs AND bidding history ALL AT THE SAME TIME. There is no reason all this shit should be in 3 different places.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby feralinfant » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Am i completely crazy for thinking about taking employment law with Provenzano even though its prob. curved?

If that is insane, anyone know what kind of grader Shoked is?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:41 pm

feralinfant wrote:Am i completely crazy for thinking about taking employment law with Provenzano even though its prob. curved?

If that is insane, anyone know what kind of grader Shoked is?

I have no idea what she's like as a grader, but Provenzano is a really enjoyable teacher. She demands a lot of work in terms of small writing assignments and class prep but it helps keeps you caught up and engaged, and her class discussions are some of the best I've had. (I'm in her Employment Discrim. class this term)

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby dstars823 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:57 pm

any thoughts on shapo for torts II?

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby LRGhost » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Anyone have 14th Am. with Hughes? There's a conflict between that, Local Government with Shoked, and Law Firm Management... with Lutz. I figure all three can't hit the curve but assuming I have a choice, does anyone have any opinion one way or the other?

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Haven't taken any of these classes, but reputation wise:

Torts II is supposed to be easily graded if uncurved. I do not like Hughes, but apparently grading is good in 14th amendment. It will also have a lot of overlap with con law which might help you in both classes.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: manuel390 and 4 guests