Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Bumi wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Just bid enough points. Plenty of 2Ls do ITP. I think one trip last year was entirely 2Ls.

That is not how ITP signup works. Also, last year there were many many more ITPs. This year there are four. So last year isn't a good example. I bet this year there will be people who want to go who can't.

Damn.

Hopefully everyone wants to go to Chile.

If a 2L ranks a trip #1 and a 3L ranks it #4, does the 3L still get precedence? That seems lame. (I guess I just hope for the 3L to decide not to go.)

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:45 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bumi wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Just bid enough points. Plenty of 2Ls do ITP. I think one trip last year was entirely 2Ls.

That is not how ITP signup works. Also, last year there were many many more ITPs. This year there are four. So last year isn't a good example. I bet this year there will be people who want to go who can't.

Damn.

Hopefully everyone wants to go to Chile.

If a 2L ranks a trip #1 and a 3L ranks it #4, does the 3L still get precedence? That seems lame. (I guess I just hope for the 3L to decide not to go.)

Order of lottery:

1. 3Ls/AJDs who have not done ITP
2. 2Ls who have not done ITP
3. Those who have done ITP

ITP costs 25 points/credit of you get it, so 100 points. Last year there were way more trips. I am surprised so few were organized this year, though last year a bunch were organized by 2Ls.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:29 pm

I only want to do 1 of the ITP programs, REALLLY hope I get it ): Thanks for explaining the process of the lottery though, that's really helpful.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Killing a little time looking at Spring courses.

Thoughts on O'Hara v. Horwich for SecReg?

Edit: and this could be an incredibly dumb question, but are any clinics open to join for second semester, or all they all yearlong?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:29 pm

basilseal wrote:Killing a little time looking at Spring courses.

Edit: and this could be an incredibly dumb question, but are any clinics open to join for second semester, or all they all yearlong?

Lots of clinics have openings in the spring. If ohara is uncured take him, if curved probably best to avoid that shot show

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:40 am

O'Hara uncurved >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Horwich, unless you actually want to learn SecReg.

O'Hara curved is random, can turn out better than Horwich, but also worse. Horwich curves even if course is uncurved.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Pokemon wrote:

O'Hara uncurved >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Horwich, unless you actually want to learn SecReg.

O'Hara curved is random, can turn out better than Horwich, but also worse. Horwich curves even if course is uncurved.

If you really want to, you can go back a few pages and see a discussion of O'Hara under a curve. I'd like to think that if he has to curve it this spring he'd do something different, but I doubt it.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

I'll renew my Horwich vs. O'Hara argument:

if you want to learn everything there is to know about securities regulation inside and out, take horwich

if you want to learn what you'll actually need to know, and want to have fun while doing it, take o'hara

I wouldn't worry about the curve. I doubt O'Hara will do the same group exam as he did last year.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Cool advice, thank you. Horwich's Civil Sec Liability class also looks interesting. Would taking it while taking O'Hara just be way too dissonant?

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:28 pm

basilseal wrote:Cool advice, thank you. Horwich's Civil Sec Liability class also looks interesting. Would taking it while taking O'Hara just be way too dissonant?

I've heard good things. Might be best to just do one or the other though - or save Civil Liability until later.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:57 pm

I'm 5th on the waiting list for the ITP trip I really wanted. :? Anyone have a clue how much turnover there usually is on the trip rosters?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:35 am

Expect lots of turnover. 5 spots is nothing. There were ITP leaders at this time one year ago who didn't go on their trips.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Leave it to law students to not have a sense of humor and not understand jokes from It's Always Sunny

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Flips88 wrote:Leave it to law students to not have a sense of humor and not understand jokes from It's Always Sunny

Kid was asking for it.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:57 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Leave it to law students to not have a sense of humor and not understand jokes from It's Always Sunny

Kid was asking for it.

Yeah, shoulda linked to the scene instead of the picture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JcFtXnQwm8

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:43 am

Bumi wrote:Expect lots of turnover. 5 spots is nothing. There were ITP leaders at this time one year ago who didn't go on their trips.

Thanks for this. I shan't lose hope yet then. :P

I guess I should drop the trip I did get (and don't particularly want), in case it's someone else's childhood dream destination.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:53 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:35 pm

see like 6 posts up

o'hara is a really rich dude who teaches class for fun, which in turn makes it fun for you. he has been a securities lawyer both in private practice and as an SEC prosecutor, as well as an executive for the NYSE and an angel investor. so he teaches the class from all four of those perspectives, telling you what you'd want to know if you were those persons or were counsel to those persons. his experience makes it a really enjoyable and informative class, and i would definitely recommend it whether or not you want to go into securities

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Does anyone know anything about SecReg? I want to know if I should take it from O'Hara or Horwich.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:17 pm

lgleye wrote:
Bumi wrote:Does anyone know anything about SecReg? I want to know if I should take it from O'Hara or Horwich.

A bit weird but, Georgia Ave's post just covered it just before your post concerning O'Hara. As for horwich, see past posts 4-9 pages back....seems like he really knows his subjects, especially SecReg, and the common assessment is lots of work and a hard grader.

*whoosh*

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:18 pm

lgleye wrote:
Bumi wrote:Does anyone know anything about SecReg? I want to know if I should take it from O'Hara or Horwich.

A bit weird but, Georgia Ave's post just covered it just before your post concerning O'Hara. As for horwich, see past posts 4-9 pages back....seems like he really knows his subjects, especially SecReg, and the common assessment is lots of work and a hard grader.

Yeah, but what are your thoughts about Sec Reg?

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Flips88 wrote:
lgleye wrote:

*whoosh*

LOL

norkanite

Postby norkanite » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Last edited by norkanite on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:31 pm

bjsesq wrote:
lgleye wrote:

Yeah, but what are your thoughts about Sec Reg?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”