Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Is it just me, or is the whole "We go to law school in a fucking Howard Johnson's conference center" vibe way worse so far this fall?

That pissed me off last year. If it's even worse now, that's awful. I fucking hate D Rod.

He's sworn up and down that it's out of his control and he's using the full political might of the dean's office to resist the University renting out our building every two days.

Yeah. So brave. :roll: :roll: :roll:

He also pinky swears it won't happen during exams. I'll believe THAT when I see it.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Best bathroom is the one near throne though.

Best ladies' cans are in LM. Basement and 1st floor. The one by RB 175/180 is always stupidly crowded.

Dat hidden one on library 3rd floor is the best, but I'm always a little suspect of anyone I see coming out of it...when I'm headed in.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Is it just me, or is the whole "We go to law school in a fucking Howard Johnson's conference center" vibe way worse so far this fall?

That pissed me off last year. If it's even worse now, that's awful. I fucking hate D Rod.

He's sworn up and down that it's out of his control and he's using the full political might of the dean's office to resist the University renting out our building every two days.

He also pinky swears it won't happen during exams. I'll believe THAT when I see it.

long live DVZ!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

That's interesting since my 1L year (before he became Dean), it was not nearly as bad as after he took over.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Also I blame the lack of normal atrium setup for the general enui we all seem to be experiencing lately...see e.g. M. McBride, "Guys I have something really important to say," email on file with author.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Semi-serious question: Is it possible to complain about something to the University's Dean of Students? Or is that just stupid, pointless and NAGL?

ETA: Oh, FFS, someone sent this bullshit to ATL again. :? (Although the story is positive, at least.)

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:16 pm

feralinfant wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:People step up to help someone and law students shit all over it. Of course.

well obviously everyone kicking in the enormous sum of five dollars is expecting nothing less than a parade and glowing admiration from all of their peers...it's definitely not a "hey everyone, i'm kicking in, let's help this guy out"

and man it's so hard to contain a single e-mail chain in my inbox. i mean before i open it it only looks like one e-mail, but i know that inside it there's fifty and oh god the horror.

there are boomers out there who have made the conversion to gmail (from yahoo or god forbid aol) but dont use a conversation style inbox. no doubt, these same boomer motherfuckers have no spam filters setup... all this is to say it's probably like 80 messages about vi****'s laptop. which i find pretty amusing on the whole.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:17 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Semi-serious question: Is it possible to complain about something to the University's Dean of Students? Or is that just stupid, pointless and NAGL?

ETA: Oh, FFS, someone sent this bullshit to ATL again. :? (Although the story is positive, at least.)

I think we all knew that was coming...they should just set up a livecam

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:19 pm

splitsplat wrote:there are boomers out there who have made the conversion to gmail (from yahoo or god forbid aol) but dont use a conversation style inbox. no doubt, these same boomer motherfuckers have no spam filters setup... all this is to say it's probably like 80 messages about vi****'s laptop. which i find pretty amusing on the whole.

Outlook's conversation view is shit if you use that (and it's more shit the older version of Outlook you use).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:23 pm

bk1 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:there are boomers out there who have made the conversion to gmail (from yahoo or god forbid aol) but dont use a conversation style inbox. no doubt, these same boomer motherfuckers have no spam filters setup... all this is to say it's probably like 80 messages about vi****'s laptop. which i find pretty amusing on the whole.

Outlook's conversation view is shit if you use that (and it's more shit the older version of Outlook you use).

I have Outlook 2010 and had no idea it even did conversations. But I've got three email addresses getting all sorts of shit. The listserv is the least of my worries.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:29 pm

bk1 wrote:

are there any good reasons to use outlook instead of just gmail?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:33 pm

splitsplat wrote:are there any good reasons to use outlook instead of just gmail?

Often easier to look at multiple email accounts at once. You may not have a choice if you're using an MS Exchange account (e.g., work email accounts) which is why I often use it (not an issue for NU law student email).

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:37 pm

bk1 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:are there any good reasons to use outlook instead of just gmail?

Often easier to look at multiple email accounts at once. You may not have a choice if you're using an MS Exchange account (e.g., work email accounts) which is why I often use it (not an issue for NU law student email).

ohh yeah, definitely see the point about exchange accounts.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:35 pm

onionz wrote:Isn't the library already under key card, where the theft happened?

Yes, but even without a keycard it is pretty easy to get in there, plus students from other law schools have a right to use our law library if they are in town (per some ABA rule I think), the library front desk also does not always look super carefully so someone can sneak in the exit, the janitorial staff and others have access, etc. So yeah, there is keycard access, but that doesn't mean people without a keycard can't get in. I only leave stuff around if I have someone watching it.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Are we just simply rewarding carelessness?
Now no one will care about where they leave their laptops. And thieves would do it more often since they will know that the victim is insured by the goodwill of the student body.

Dude, no one wants to have their laptop stolen, even if other people will help them replace it. Also, school should be a place where people feel safe leaving things for a few minutes. Don't be a dick.

I am fairly certain that is was supposed to be a joke/sarcasm and just fell flat.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:37 pm

I would definitely rather have my laptop stolen if someone was going to give me 500 bucks.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:42 pm

splitsplat wrote:
bk1 wrote:

are there any good reasons to use outlook instead of just gmail?

-You can look back and read past email without a network connection.
-You can manage multiple email addresses at once (especially if not all are gmail-based). I know you can switch between Gmail inboxes, but if I'm logged into my school email and want to switch to my personal one, I ALWAYS have to re login.
-You can start writing an email and decide which email to send it from at any point.
-You have the full capabilities of Office when writing an email.
-I like the calendar better than Google (although my google and Outlook calendars sync)
-You're probably going to have to use Outlook at work for the rest of your life. Might as well get used to it (and I'd already been using it for a decade+).

Yes, Gmail does some of these too. But I prefer the way outlook deals with them, overall.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:ETA: Oh, FFS, someone sent this bullshit to ATL again. :? (Although the story is positive, at least.)

Gotta love how they fit that hand job link/story into everything they write about NU.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:ETA: Oh, FFS, someone sent this bullshit to ATL again. :? (Although the story is positive, at least.)

Gotta love how they fit that hand job link/story into everything they write about NU.

Need some new skankiness on LR to replace that shit

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Is there a separate listserv set up for each year/degree group?

chill

Postby chill » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Icculus wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Are we just simply rewarding carelessness?
Now no one will care about where they leave their laptops. And thieves would do it more often since they will know that the victim is insured by the goodwill of the student body.

Dude, no one wants to have their laptop stolen, even if other people will help them replace it. Also, school should be a place where people feel safe leaving things for a few minutes. Don't be a dick.

I am fairly certain that is was supposed to be a joke/sarcasm and just fell flat.

I can confirm, this was a very lame joke....

thefuturenow

Postby thefuturenow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:31 pm

The email thread is now a passive aggressive party. Mature student body my arse.

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:58 pm

thefuturenow wrote:The email thread is now a passive aggressive party. Mature student body my arse.

Up the ante and make it an aggressive-aggressive party.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Flips88 wrote:Lol'd at the donation from:
"parent of a 2L transfer (vamos ariba la celeste!)
donated$20.00"

I also saw that Avon Barksdale donated from beyond the grave.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”