Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Holly Golightly

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Pokemon wrote:Any advice on Burns's Admin Law?

If it's uncurved, my advice is to not put your name on the seating chart, sleep in, and learn admin from an old outline before the exam.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:31 pm

goCats3 wrote:Hate to break the chain of academic related responses going on here but I had a question about applying.

Personal Statement: NU says 2-3 pages. Does that really mean strictly 2 as some on TLS have said? I've got mine at 2.5. Is that a big no-no? For the people that have gotten in, how long was your statement?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm applying for the AJD program if that makes a difference.

Personal statements don't really matter unless you come across as a raging sociopath (and even then probably only matter if you were borderline to begin with). If it says 2-3 pages, I'm sure 2.5 is fine.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:39 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
goCats3 wrote:Hate to break the chain of academic related responses going on here but I had a question about applying.

Personal Statement: NU says 2-3 pages. Does that really mean strictly 2 as some on TLS have said? I've got mine at 2.5. Is that a big no-no? For the people that have gotten in, how long was your statement?

Thanks!

Personal statements don't really matter unless you come across as a raging sociopath (and even then probably only matter if you were borderline to begin with). If it says 2-3 pages, I'm sure 2.5 is fine.

Note: being a raging sociopath will not bar you from being admitted to Northwestern Law.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:15 pm

IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Thanks!

Note: being a raging sociopath will not bar you from being admitted to Northwestern Law.

True story.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Thanks!

True story.

I would think a sociopath would actually be a really great interviewer

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Cobretti wrote:Note: being a raging sociopath will not bar you from being admitted to Northwestern Law.

True story.[/quote]
I would think a sociopath would actually be a really great interviewer[/quote]

Are you trying to say something about people with 10-15+ CBs?

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:04 pm

41 in immigration...don't suppose there's anyone here who can be convinced to take one for the team, eh?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:58 am

Pokemon wrote:
Cobretti wrote:I would think a sociopath would actually be a really great interviewer

Are you trying to say something about people with 10-15+ CBs?

Yes.

kwesta99

Postby kwesta99 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:16 pm

any info on

Corp Governance (Horwich)?
Banking Law Regulations (Freechak/Wendte)?
Whether they are easy graders or not?

McGinnis : is he really harsh ? I wanted to take his class, but saving myself from the curve....
DeSanto?

Clinics?
Speta?

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:25 pm

kwesta99 wrote:McGinnis : is he really harsh ? I wanted to take his class, but saving myself from the curve....
DeSanto?

McG isn't harsh, per se. The cold calls can be a little rough, but he does tend to maximize the curve, from what I've seen. I liked him.

DeSanto is great. Take him if you have the chance.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Roll Fizzlebeef wrote:41 in immigration...don't suppose there's anyone here who can be convinced to take one for the team, eh?

Calling Cliff... this is not allowed...

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Roll Fizzlebeef wrote:41 in immigration...don't suppose there's anyone here who can be convinced to take one for the team, eh?

Calling Cliff... this is not allowed...

Great, and we had been doing well on the email-front. I take it back and instead express general displeasure and threaten pain and discomfort to the 41st student.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:47 pm

What supplements would you guys recommend for Pfander?

chill

Postby chill » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:13 pm

chill wrote:
simplycatalina wrote:What supplements would you guys recommend for Pfander?

The Rich Freer Barbri lectures-- watched while cooking-- took me from 0 understanding to a decent grasp on the material. Other people really liked the Glannon multiple choice guide.

If nothing makes sense 'til October, don't be surprised-- nothing clicked for me until I watched the lectures.

Wasn't in Pfander, but this.

If you stood in that ridiculous line to sign up for 1L materials at the Barbri table today, good job. You just got the greatest Civ Pro supplement ever.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Any one have any thoughts on the various SBA committees?

i.e. Is it worth applying for one? Any that are better than others?

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:30 pm

feralinfant wrote:Any one have any thoughts on the various SBA committees?

My experience is that few of them actually do anything substantial with the exception of the Student Admissions Committee which basically plans admitted students weekend.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:44 pm

elibrarian wrote:

My experience is that few of them actually do anything substantial with the exception of the Student Admissions Committee which basically plans admitted students weekend.

which means they're an ok way to get a line (however unsubstantial) on your resume without adding much to your workload.

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:32 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
elibrarian wrote:

which means they're an ok way to get a line (however unsubstantial) on your resume without adding much to your workload.

Social committee plans bar reviews. = Line on resume, little work, and drinking.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Really random question, probably only for the ladies: I have a Spafinder giftcard and would like to get a facial. Does anyone have a favorite spa/salon? (close to downtown/streeterville or easily accessible by bus/L).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:43 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Really random question, probably only for the ladies: I have a Spafinder giftcard and would like to get a facial. Does anyone have a favorite spa/salon? (close to downtown/streeterville or easily accessible by bus/L).

The one across from the modern art museum in the bottom of that little mall was my go-to.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

echooo23 wrote:I have Lutz for BA. Anyone know if supplements are necessary, and if so, which ones? Also, if anyone has an outline to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Anyone?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:45 am

Don't go to class then use an old outline. His tests are almost exactly the same each year. Do them all.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Don't go to class then use an old outline. His tests are almost exactly the same each year. Do them all.

This. Also, Speta's power points that show you exactly how to go through an Admin problem are golden. I used those to create a checklist that completely saved my ass. I think I attended that class a total of 3 times. DF and I took it the same semester and never once went on the same day.

CreativityKing

Postby CreativityKing » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This. Also, Speta's power points that show you exactly how to go through an Admin problem are golden. I used those to create a checklist that completely saved my ass. I think I attended that class a total of 3 times. DF and I took it the same semester and never once went on the same day.

Where might one find Speta's power points and Burns' old exams? Burns doesn't seem to have any exams on the library's bank, and Speta's not teaching admin this year?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”