Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Bumi

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Bumi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:01 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Our CLR professor sent the syllabus out for the class, and it says that laptops aren't allowed (Section 1 CLR). So while I'll be bringing my laptop to the class-type orientation events, I'm fully expecting the profs to tell us to put them away before the CLR classes start.

Oh god, non-laptop CLR. I hadn't heard of such a thing.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:02 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
Bumi wrote:
onionz wrote:Are we expected to bring laptops/note taking material to orientation? There are some class-like parts to it (i.e meeting with our communication and legal research section twice) but other non-laptop activities (scavenger hunt).

What'd people do in years prior?

You should bring your laptop to the case briefing thing too, and anything classlike. Orientation is different this year in a few ways and I don't remember what we did.

Our CLR professor sent the syllabus out for the class, and it says that laptops aren't allowed (Section 1 CLR). So while I'll be bringing my laptop to the class-type orientation events, I'm fully expecting the profs to tell us to put them away before the CLR classes start.

Prof? God, CLR without a laptop sounds mindnumbingly boring. I am not sure I could have handled that.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:03 pm

If you're talking about silbernagel, you can totally still use a laptop and most people do, he just would rather have students not use their laptops.

terriers

Postby terriers » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:05 pm

It might be Kanter, that new policy may or may not have been my fault.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Caesar says it's Hill, but I don't remember her doing it last year. Interesting.

terriers

Postby terriers » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:10 pm

I heard that Kanter and Hill are paired this year, so that might explain it.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Laptop-less CLR sounds like torture.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:12 pm

terriers wrote:It might be Kanter, that new policy may or may not have been my fault.

I hope there is a good story behind this and you aren't just an asshole who told her people don't pay attention and she shouldn't allow laptops.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hill Syllabus Fall 2013, pp. 3-4 wrote:Use of Laptops in Class
The use of lap tops (along with smart phones and tables) during class is prohibited unless I expressly instruct you to use it for a designated class room exercise or for a research class which requires use of a lap top. On those occasions where lap tops are necessary I will tell you in advance and/or note it on the assignment calendar. Unlike some of your other law school courses, given the nature of the class, CLR is in general not a note-taking intensive class. The material covered in class builds off of the assigned readings and I post all of my Power Points as well as other materials that cover substantive course content on Blackboard. Therefore, to the extent you desire to take notes to supplement those materials, hand written notes will not be overly burdensome. The purpose of the prohibition is to encourage a more active and engaged class room experience and to lessen the distractions that come with lap top use. Failure to abide by this policy will be reflected in your participation grade. If any student feels that there are special or unique circumstances which require him or her to use a lap top in class on a regular basis please let me know so that we can work out an arrangement.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:15 pm

Awful.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:18 pm

If anything would hold me back from doing law school again, it wouldn't be the debt, or the opportunity costs, or the dealing with law students: it would be CLR.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:20 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
The use of lap tops (along with smart phones and tables) during class is prohibited unless I expressly instruct you to use it for a designated class room exercise or for a research class which requires use of a lap top. On those occasions where lap tops are necessary I will tell you in advance and/or note it on the assignment calendar. Unlike some of your other law school courses, given the nature of the class, CLR is in general not a note-taking intensive class. The material covered in class builds off of the assigned readings and I post all of my Power Points as well as other materials that cover substantive course content on Blackboard. Therefore, to the extent you desire to take notes to supplement those materials, hand written notes will not be overly burdensome. The purpose of the prohibition is to encourage a more active and engaged class room experience and to lessen the distractions that come with lap top use. Failure to abide by this policy will be reflected in your participation grade. If any student feels that there are special or unique circumstances which require him or her to use a lap top in class on a regular basis please let me know so that we can work out an arrangement.

She toyed with this idea 2nd part of my 1L year b/c someone told her we would be more engaged without them. Luckily she didn't follow through. This sounds brutal. Like worst class to be sans laptop.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Icculus wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:

She toyed with this idea 2nd part of my 1L year b/c someone told her we would be more engaged without them. Luckily she didn't follow through. This sounds brutal. Like worst class to be sans laptop.

What kind of unconscionable douche would say such a thing?????

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:22 pm

Icculus wrote:She toyed with this idea 2nd part of my 1L year b/c someone told her we would be more engaged without them. Luckily she didn't follow through. This sounds brutal. Like worst class to be sans laptop.

What kind of monster says this?

terriers

Postby terriers » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
terriers wrote:It might be Kanter, that new policy may or may not have been my fault.

I hope there is a good story behind this and you aren't just an asshole who told her people don't pay attention and she shouldn't allow laptops.

Yes, I went to her after class and was completely outraged at the un-professionalism of my so-called classmates who were busy on Gchat or Buzzfeed instead of taking copious notes to make themselves better future lawyers. How can you expect to hold down a job at Cravath or SullCrom if you can't even pay attention in CLR?

...or I was just the lazy guy in the back who spent class on Sporcle...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:30 pm

I had Crim without laptops and that was fine, but CLR without a laptop sounds like the worst thing ever.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:36 pm

terriers wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Yes, I went to her after class and was completely outraged at the un-professionalism of my so-called classmates who were busy on Gchat or Buzzfeed instead of taking copious notes to make themselves better future lawyers. How can you expect to hold down a job at Cravath or SullCrom if you can't even pay attention in CLR?

sorry, still hate you (also have Hill)

terriers

Postby terriers » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Cobretti wrote:
terriers wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

sorry, still hate you (also have Hill)

Haha that's fair, I actually really liked Kanter, especially compared to some of the other horror stories I've heard...don't know anything about Hill though.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Oh man, Silbernagel once cold called me because I wasn't even pretending to pay attention. I didn't even know what the topic of the day way. I just kept saying "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know."

I thought I was going to get grade pwned, until he called two other people after me and they all say "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know."

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:26 pm

PSA: For all the incoming 1Ls. I did put name on the list for having outlines for certain 1L profs. I will be happy to share those...after classes start. Feel free to PM me sometime at the end of September, when an outline may be helpful. For now, relax, get here, enjoy orientation, and remember that classes basically won't make sense until the end.

jn7

Postby jn7 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I had Crim without laptops and that was fine, but CLR without a laptop sounds like the worst thing ever.

I assumed the professor was really old to adopt that rule, but apparently not :?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:12 pm

IAFG wrote:If anything would hold me back from doing law school again, it wouldn't be the debt, or the opportunity costs, or the dealing with law students: it would be CLR.

There are not enough +s for me to give this.

M458

Postby M458 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:18 pm

IAFG wrote:If anything would hold me back from doing law school again, it wouldn't be the debt, or the opportunity costs, or the dealing with law students: it would be CLR.

Hmm.

Holly Golightly wrote:Laptop-less CLR sounds like torture.

Yep.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Doesn't surprise me. We got pretty flagrant in our not paying attention last year. Oops. Guess Hill is fighting back early this year.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:47 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Doesn't surprise me. We got pretty flagrant in our not paying attention last year. Oops. Guess Hill is fighting back early this year.

Ironically fighting back by being more insufferable.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”