Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LHLH

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby LHLH » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Bumi wrote:Almost everyone is currently "in" more classes than they'll eventually take. I'm in five classes and on a waitlist. If I get off the waitlist, I'll drop another class. Also, always be wary of uncurved classes. Some profs give worse grades uncurved than curved because they disagree with our curve.

It amazes me to see all the people who bid billions of points in the second round on classes that had waitlists at the end of the first round. Everyone knows that no matter what you bid in the second round, you can't jump in front of first-round waitlist people, right? What's the deal with in-house counsel - are they giving out jobs in that class or something?

Actually, I think they are? At least for the semester. Got an e-mail about it a week or so ago and it sounded like you get placed somewhere.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:39 pm

LHLH wrote:
Bumi wrote:Almost everyone is currently "in" more classes than they'll eventually take. I'm in five classes and on a waitlist. If I get off the waitlist, I'll drop another class. Also, always be wary of uncurved classes. Some profs give worse grades uncurved than curved because they disagree with our curve.

It amazes me to see all the people who bid billions of points in the second round on classes that had waitlists at the end of the first round. Everyone knows that no matter what you bid in the second round, you can't jump in front of first-round waitlist people, right? What's the deal with in-house counsel - are they giving out jobs in that class or something?

Actually, I think they are? At least for the semester. Got an e-mail about it a week or so ago and it sounded like you get placed somewhere.

Yeah, unlike other practicums you don't have to secure your own placement (though you can if you want to). You rank your preferences and then they assign you (I bet a lot of people rank Groupon highly). I suspect that you don't get paid.

Kind of wish I was doing it.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:19 pm

I really doubt that professors turn in grades that are worse than the curve would have allowed, more than once in a blue moon. Maybe with regard to A+'s they do, but profs can hand out a significant amount of B-C's under our curve as it is.

zozin

Postby zozin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:20 pm

Can I buy books from the bookstore and just charge it to my student account?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:22 pm

zozin wrote:Can I buy books from the bookstore and just charge it to my student account?

No. It's a barnes and noble.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 pm

bk1 wrote:
LHLH wrote:

Yeah, unlike other practicums you don't have to secure your own placement (though you can if you want to). You rank your preferences and then they assign you (I bet a lot of people rank Groupon highly). I suspect that you don't get paid.

Kind of wish I was doing it.

The class In-House Counsel: Modern Corps that went for a lot of points is not the practicum class. Its just a class that I guess is really popular. The course that places students at corporations is Practicum: Corporate Counsel and is not a biddable class.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:30 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:The class In-House Counsel: Modern Corps that went for a lot of points is not the practicum class. Its just a class that I guess is really popular. The course that places students at corporations is Practicum: Corporate Counsel and is not a biddable class.

Good point.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 am

Flips88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Natural Resources now at 43 people. You sonsofbitches.

It's a trap, find something else.

Ugh. Trying. IP is also at 49 now. Every class during the Th/F 2-3:30 block is curved now. IP has 49, Copyright has 54, Con Crim Pro has 41.

Eta: nevermind. misread for copyright. It's still at 27.

i'm dropping con crim, fear not. now none of you other assholes sign up

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:16 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Natural Resources now at 43 people. You sonsofbitches.

It's a trap, find something else.

Ugh. Trying. IP is also at 49 now. Every class during the Th/F 2-3:30 block is curved now. IP has 49, Copyright has 54, Con Crim Pro has 41.

Eta: nevermind. misread for copyright. It's still at 27.

i'm dropping con crim, fear not. now none of you other assholes sign up

Good man

Scarlett66

Postby Scarlett66 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:43 am

Redish just sent out our first reading assignment.
So common wisdom seems to be don't buy a supplement for his Civ Pro class, right?
Any other things we should know?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:36 am

Desert Fox wrote:I really doubt that professors turn in grades that are worse than the curve would have allowed, more than once in a blue moon. Maybe with regard to A+'s they do, but profs can hand out a significant amount of B-C's under our curve as it is.

Profs absolutely turn in grades below our curve in uncurved classes. You can see some profs doing it in those leaked grade distributions from 07-08. Aren't you the one who tells people that uncurved is not necessarily better?

dolfan0516 wrote:The class In-House Counsel: Modern Corps that went for a lot of points is not the practicum class. Its just a class that I guess is really popular. The course that places students at corporations is Practicum: Corporate Counsel and is not a biddable class.

Correct, that's the course I was talking about. The funny thing is just how many points people paid in round 2 to get onto the waitlist behind the 34 people on it from round 1.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Bumi wrote:

Correct, that's the course I was talking about. The funny thing is just how many points people paid in round 2 to get onto the waitlist behind the 34 people on it from round 1.

Yeah, but I'm sure thats just 1 person who bid that many points and got in. Someone got into the class through round 2 bidding, otherwise it would say Rd. 2 points as being 0 with people on the waitlist. And if you really, really must have the class, you can bid a lot of points in round 2 and hope enough people drop from the class and waitlist that you can get into the class. If not, you can cancel your bid during this last chance drop time and save the points for Spring.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Scarlett66 wrote:Redish just sent out our first reading assignment.
So common wisdom seems to be don't buy a supplement for his Civ Pro class, right?

cant even find that 6th edition on amazon.... looks like it was just released lol

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Scarlett66 wrote:Redish just sent out our first reading assignment.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with a supplement.

Read his articles. Your TA should send them to you. They are invaluable for the policy section, but are hit or miss for understanding the doctrine for the issue spotter.

Reading the casebook is good, but not super important (unless you get called on, lol). It's not too hard to pick up the facts of the case from a skim or notes or whatever. But if there is any class to not miss and take notes in, it's Redish. I'm not a note taker and I took a ton in his class. The problem is (as annoying as they can be) he introduces all these colloquialisms and hypotheticals that become the doctrine he wants you to discuss. He has a very particular way of teaching Civ Pro that is hard to pick up if you're not paying attention in lecture or trying to pull from someone else's notes. Luckily, his lectures are relatively entertaining.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Anyone want to shamelessly speculate on why the registrar left?

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:00 pm

purpletiger wrote:Anyone want to shamelessly speculate on why the registrar left?

that did seem like a pretty abrupt/not in good graces e-mail from lesley

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
purpletiger wrote:Anyone want to shamelessly speculate on why the registrar left?

Yeah, immediately after bidding closed, basically.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:21 pm

purpletiger wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:

And in a semester where bidding results were unusually high!

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:41 pm

Samara wrote:
purpletiger wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:

And in a semester where bidding results were unusually high!

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN

Could be an embarrassing points-skimming scandal. Do you have any idea how much a single bidding point goes for on the black market??

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Perhaps in their "national search," they can find someone that can let us pick classes earlier than a week before school starts.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Flips88 wrote:Perhaps in their "national search," they can find someone that can let us pick classes earlier than a week before school starts.

lol @ the school administration giving a fuck about what the students want.

onionz

Postby onionz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:28 am

Are we expected to bring laptops/note taking material to orientation? There are some class-like parts to it (i.e meeting with our communication and legal research section twice) but other non-laptop activities (scavenger hunt).

What'd people do in years prior?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:30 am

onionz wrote:Are we expected to bring laptops/note taking material to orientation? There are some class-like parts to it (i.e meeting with our communication and legal research section twice) but other non-laptop activities (scavenger hunt).

CLR is class. You can bring your stuff and when you don't need it you put it in your locker.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:54 am

onionz wrote:Are we expected to bring laptops/note taking material to orientation? There are some class-like parts to it (i.e meeting with our communication and legal research section twice) but other non-laptop activities (scavenger hunt).

You should bring your laptop to the case briefing thing too, and anything classlike. Orientation is different this year in a few ways and I don't remember what we did.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:58 am

Bumi wrote:

You should bring your laptop to the case briefing thing too, and anything classlike. Orientation is different this year in a few ways and I don't remember what we did.

Our CLR professor sent the syllabus out for the class, and it says that laptops aren't allowed (Section 1 CLR). So while I'll be bringing my laptop to the class-type orientation events, I'm fully expecting the profs to tell us to put them away before the CLR classes start.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”