Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
D-hops

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby D-hops » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:18 pm

dstars823 wrote:any comment on Nzelibe for Contracts?

His summary slides at the end of each class are pretty much all you need to know for the class. He doesn't really cold call and at one point in the year he was literally just reading large sections of cases from the casebook.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:40 pm

D-hops wrote:
dstars823 wrote:any comment on Nzelibe for Contracts?

His summary slides at the end of each class are pretty much all you need to know for the class. He doesn't really cold call and at one point in the year he was literally just reading large sections of cases from the casebook.

I met with him after we got grades and when he looked at my exam, he went "this is a really good exam, I don't know why you didn't get a better grade!" Until that moment I had been fine with my grade in his class, but that nearly made my head explode.

Also, for him, keeping your exam short and sweet works. I know people who did well in his class who bolted key words or even wrote in bullet points.

To add onto what d-hops said, just go with the slides, class attendance is optional. And enjoy his slides that haven't been updated since the late 90s. I particularly enjoyed references to Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Michael Jackson.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:To add onto what d-hops said, just go with the slides, class attendance is optional. And enjoy his slides that haven't been updated since the late 90s. I particularly enjoyed references to Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Michael Jackson.

"This apartment was supposed to have a view of the coronation of the king, but it got cancelled. Imagine if it were a real king. Michael Jackson. And you were buying the apartment to watch Michael Jackson moonwalk down the coronation route."

Also to echo, he does like a lot of headers and clear rule statements.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:04 pm

dstars823 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
dstars823 wrote:
bk1 wrote:Inside joke that Nzelibe loved to make Charlie Trotter's references.

haha sweet thanks

Day 1 of class: dstars823 outs himself with a Charlie Trotter reference in front of the whole class :lol:

dont know enough about charlie trotters to even make a reference lol so wont even try, just know its a restaurant

The restaurant got shut down last year. I'd stick with reference to Gold Coast apartments and yachts.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Flips88 wrote:The restaurant got shut down last year. I'd stick with reference to Gold Coast apartments and yachts.

And oranges.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:22 pm

So I've been trying to pool TLS collective wisdom on my profs via the search function and this is basically what I've got. Any current students or fellow 1L's with a greater facility for the search function feel free to chime in. Also I've found the outline spreadsheet but if anyone wants to volunteer outlines for either Shoked or Eigen it'd be very much appreciated not only by me but I'm sure other people in the section as well.

Civ Pro - Pfander-If there's multiple choice on the test get the glannon guide
Property - Shoked, seems well-liked but couldn't find much on the class.
Contracts - Eigen-straight issue spotter, participate early b/c it counts toward your grade at least a little.
Crim - Rubinowitz, seminar style, enjoy it but the exam sucks.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:30 pm

feralinfant wrote:So I've been trying to pool TLS collective wisdom on my profs via the search function and this is basically what I've got. Any current students or fellow 1L's with a greater facility for the search function feel free to chime in. Also I've found the outline spreadsheet but if anyone wants to volunteer outlines for either Shoked or Eigen it'd be very much appreciated not only by me but I'm sure other people in the section as well.

Contracts - Eigen-straight issue spotter, participate early b/c it counts toward your grade at least a little.

Relax, you haven't even gotten here yet. There is plenty of time to get outlines and learn about the profs. Enjoy what's left of summer.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Has anyone had Marguiles for Crim? No one listed him on the outline exchange guide, but any advice for him would be appreciated.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:40 pm

I wouldn't wish my Eigen outline on my worst enemy. Lesson learned, never make my own outline.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Icculus wrote:
feralinfant wrote:So I've been trying to pool TLS collective wisdom on my profs via the search function and this is basically what I've got. Any current students or fellow 1L's with a greater facility for the search function feel free to chime in. Also I've found the outline spreadsheet but if anyone wants to volunteer outlines for either Shoked or Eigen it'd be very much appreciated not only by me but I'm sure other people in the section as well.

Relax, you haven't even gotten here yet. There is plenty of time to get outlines and learn about the profs. Enjoy what's left of summer.

This (though I will add, for civ pro get the Glannon guide no matter what).

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:35 pm

bk1 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

This (though I will add, for civ pro get the Glannon guide no matter what).

Unless you have Redish.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Unless you have Redish.

Errr I wasn't clear. Meant for Pfander.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Unless you have Redish.

Errr I wasn't clear. Meant for Pfander.

I think Glannon helps for Hoskins as well. But again, don't worry yet. Nothing would make any sense to you anyway.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:44 am

Flips88 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:To add onto what d-hops said, just go with the slides, class attendance is optional. And enjoy his slides that haven't been updated since the late 90s. I particularly enjoyed references to Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Michael Jackson.

"This apartment was supposed to have a view of the coronation of the king, but it got cancelled. Imagine if it were a real king. Michael Jackson. And you were buying the apartment to watch Michael Jackson moonwalk down the coronation route."

he's a king by nature, not by convention

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:15 pm

flops89 wrote:0L but I'm familiar with Canterbury. The apartments are a decent value for the location and the fact that they're flexible leases on furnished apartments. More importantly, there's an awesome piano bar on the first floor. It's worth living there just for the convenient access to the zebra lounge.

Looked at Canterbury today. They were gonna end the tour without even mentioning the Zebra Lounge. I had to ask...I think they consider it a liability rather than a bonus. I on the other hand would plan to get very friendly with the bartenders if I move in...

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 am

Desert Fox: is this yours?
http://i.imgur.com/trMq9xW.png

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:01 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Desert Fox: is this yours?
http://i.imgur.com/trMq9xW.png

I wish

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Natural Resources now at 43 people. You sonsofbitches.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Flips88 wrote:Natural Resources now at 43 people. You sonsofbitches.

It's a trap, find something else.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:07 pm

It's Class of 2015 section 1's collective love affair with Barsa's fault.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Ugh. Trying. IP is also at 49 now. Every class during the Th/F 2-3:30 block is curved now. IP has 49, Copyright has 54, Con Crim Pro has 41.

Eta: nevermind. misread for copyright. It's still at 27.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:17 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Ugh. Trying. IP is also at 49 now. Every class during the Th/F 2-3:30 block is curved now. IP has 49, Copyright has 54, Con Crim Pro has 41.

GODDAMNIT 41

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:19 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

GODDAMNIT 41

Son of a bitch. I really want natural resources, but I can't fuck with 42.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Reassess once classes start. People always start shifting things around that first week.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Almost everyone is currently "in" more classes than they'll eventually take. I'm in five classes and on a waitlist. If I get off the waitlist, I'll drop another class. Also, always be wary of uncurved classes. Some profs give worse grades uncurved than curved because they disagree with our curve.

It amazes me to see all the people who bid billions of points in the second round on classes that had waitlists at the end of the first round. Everyone knows that no matter what you bid in the second round, you can't jump in front of first-round waitlist people, right? What's the deal with in-house counsel - are they giving out jobs in that class or something?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”