Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cobretti

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:44 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:Do we get westlaw accounts or is that something we have to sign up for on our own?

In CLR class you'll get signup codes for Westlaw/Westlaw Next, Lexis/Lexis Advance, and Bloomberg.

cool beans, thx

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Schedule?

Civil lit and investor protection clinic
Law and rhetoric
Evidence
Ethics
Structured transactions: music law

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Icculus wrote:Schedule?

Civil lit and investor protection clinic
Law and rhetoric
Evidence
Ethics
Structured transactions: music law

Law & Rhetoric
Ethics
RICO Prosecutions
Civil Rights Lit Clinic
IP

Let me know if you want an outline for Hughes' Evidence

mad

Postby mad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:22 am

Hi,

I'm starting Northwestern Law in the fall and have a question about my schedule. I'm looking at flights going home for Thanksgiving (admittedly early, but I have points and better now than later), and it seems we don't have off the Wednesday before. How loose is the school about missing that Wednesday? Will professors be around? Is it safe to miss afternoon classes? Just trying to get a general sense of the attitude. Thanks!

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:06 pm

mad wrote:Hi,

I'm starting Northwestern Law in the fall and have a question about my schedule. I'm looking at flights going home for Thanksgiving (admittedly early, but I have points and better now than later), and it seems we don't have off the Wednesday before. How loose is the school about missing that Wednesday? Will professors be around? Is it safe to miss afternoon classes? Just trying to get a general sense of the attitude. Thanks!

Tons of people skip that class. Some profs cancel because honestly they want to go to thanksgiving too, but others won't. I think one of the years I had no class on that Wednesday because all the profs cancelled and just did a makeup class earlier or something. Even if you miss a class people will give you notes and it's not the end of the world, and some profs will video class when they know a lot of people are missing it for some reason.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:06 pm

mad wrote:Hi,

Profs traditionally cancel that day and have a makeup at some point, but it's not always a guarantee

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:22 pm

jfc is everyone taking law & rhetoric

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:26 pm

How long can it take them to run the bidding program on the computer? Results should be out already.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:05 pm

bdubs wrote:How long can it take them to run the bidding program on the computer? Results should be out already.

It should literally take them about 10 minutes, tops, to run the program. It's not a lot of data and this is exactly what computers are really good at. Same goes for the OCI bidding.

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Any tips on this schedule?

Business Associations (Lutz)
Advanced Dispute Resolution (Riskin)
Sexual Orientation & the Law (Taylor)
Prisons & Prisoners' Rights (Mills)
Criminal Law (Margulies)
CLR II (Martin)

I'm an AJD so that's why there are a few 1L classes in there. I'm concerned about having too much writing (I'm planning to go out for journal as well). Should I sub in Ethics (Foster) or another doctrinal class instead of Sexual Orientation? Any thoughts about this schedule in general? Thanks!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Holy smokes guys, I bid 200 and I'm 22 on the WL for Land Use & Other Urban Issues?

Dayuuuummmn.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:36 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Holy smokes guys, I bid 200 and I'm 22 on the WL for Land Use & Other Urban Issues?

Dayuuuummmn.

I bid low 300s and I'm #8. I was not expecting that.

Also I swear to god that Western Legal Traditions was at 8:45am, not 1:30. I checked and re-checked and triple checked everything on my list!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Holy smokes guys, I bid 200 and I'm 22 on the WL for Land Use & Other Urban Issues?

Dayuuuummmn.

Also I swear to god that Western Legal Traditions was at 8:45am, not 1:30. I checked and re-checked and triple checked everything on my list!

Jesus. I didn't expect it to be that popular. I also dropped like 1000 on Sexual Orientation b/c it had gone for a lot of points in the past and it went for 1. LOL @ my shitty bidding skills.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:40 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Dayuuuummmn.

Jesus. I didn't expect it to be that popular. I also dropped like 1000 on Sexual Orientation b/c it had gone for a lot of points in the past and it went for 1. LOL @ my shitty bidding skills.

I bid really high on Telecom and Natural Resources...both cost 1. I am equally inept. :P Thank god we get the overbid points back.

zozin

Postby zozin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:56 pm

How likely are waitlist promotions? I'm #4 on Law and Rhetoric and would really prefer it over Crime & Criminology as my fluff class.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:11 pm

WTF? Did everything go insanely high this semester? I mean I overbid everything compared to last year and still got shut out of basically every class I bid.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Icculus wrote:WTF? Did everything go insanely high this semester? I mean I overbid everything compared to last year and still got shut out of basically every class I bid.

Weird. All four of mine went for 1.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:32 pm

basilseal wrote:
Icculus wrote:WTF? Did everything go insanely high this semester? I mean I overbid everything compared to last year and still got shut out of basically every class I bid.

Weird. All four of mine went for 1.

Ethics: WL (2)
Clinic: W: (2)
Law and Rhetoric: WL (1)

Got music law for 1 which I basically added at the last minute. Got Evidence but dropped it because I realized Hughes is a sadistic grader. So yeah, fuck. I'm not even far enough down on the WL to justify dropping them.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Icculus wrote:Got Evidence but dropped it because I realized Hughes is a sadistic grader.
Really? Shit.

Should I drop a class I'm #8 on the WL for? If I drop that one AND evidence, I'll need to pick up two classes in Round 2.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Icculus wrote:Got Evidence but dropped it because I realized Hughes is a sadistic grader.
Really? Shit.

Should I drop a class I'm #8 on the WL for? If I drop that one AND evidence, I'll need to pick up two classes in Round 2.

Well considering I have one 2 credit class I'm enrolled in and nothing else you're still ahead of me.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:43 pm

wise man once say, never bid on a course with more than 40 seats.

Project Finance still has 3 open seats. Bid on it. Easy A, no exam.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:wise man once say, never bid on a course with more than 40 seats.

You will have to spend 7 hours in one class until after midnight, but whatever, easy A for sure.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Bidding instructions on the website wrote:In the Fall, immediately after we process Round 2 bidding, there will be a 2-day period for Last
Chance cancellation of successful bids or wait list results. This period gives you the opportunity to
recapture points expended for classes or wait list positions for use in the Spring.
Email from administration wrote:If you do not cancel your waitlist position during bidding, you will be charged these points regardless of whether you are ultimately enrolled in the course.
So do I have to cancel a waitlist before Round 2 bidding closes to get the points back, or not?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:15 pm

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:wise man once say, never bid on a course with more than 40 seats.

You will have to spend 7 hours in one class until after midnight, but whatever, easy A for sure.

7 hours that feel like 14, after weekly 3 hour classes that felt like 5. A bit of a devil's bargain.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:49 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bidding instructions on the website wrote:In the Fall, immediately after we process Round 2 bidding, there will be a 2-day period for Last
Chance cancellation of successful bids or wait list results. This period gives you the opportunity to
recapture points expended for classes or wait list positions for use in the Spring.
Email from administration wrote:If you do not cancel your waitlist position during bidding, you will be charged these points regardless of whether you are ultimately enrolled in the course.
So do I have to cancel a waitlist before Round 2 bidding closes to get the points back, or not?

You should email the administration and tell us the answer as I am also curious.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”