Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
homestyle28

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:18 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:According to google translator, "NU, ebrius shit habeas."

NU: ebrius habeas excrementa

I want that on a nice purple sweatshirt to proudly home from ASW and show the family.

I'd like it on my coffee mug and fancy purple pen please.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 pm

<3 Northwestern

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Serious Question:

Do you think that NU's biglaw placement is inflated by people with an engineering degree and/or having decent work experience?

The reason I ask is that if you choose based on biglaw placement, NU handily beats the schools below it (something like 50% biglaw placement versus 30% placement, or at least that's what the recent OCI threads seemed to say). However, it seems like the engineers (who seem to be ipsecure) or those with diverse work experience get a bump from firms then the biglaw placement at NU isn't as meaningful for the average law school applicant who is right out of undergrad or close to it. What I'm saying is that it seems like a liberal arts major who spent 1 year after college waiting tables and got into NU might not have any greater shot at biglaw than had they gone to GULC or Cornell.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:09 pm

bk1 wrote:Serious Question:

Do you think that NU's biglaw placement is inflated by people with an engineering degree and/or having decent work experience?

The reason I ask is that if you choose based on biglaw placement, NU handily beats the schools below it (something like 50% biglaw placement versus 30% placement, or at least that's what the recent OCI threads seemed to say). However, it seems like the engineers (who seem to be ipsecure) or those with diverse work experience get a bump from firms then the biglaw placement at NU isn't as meaningful for the average law school applicant who is right out of undergrad or close to it. What I'm saying is that it seems like a liberal arts major who spent 1 year after college waiting tables and got into NU might not have any greater shot at biglaw than had they gone to GULC or Cornell.

IP placement is good for getting grads jobs, but it doesn't reflect as well on v100 or NLJ250 data. Many great IP boutiques are not V100 nor NLJ250 despite being great firms.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

IP placement is good for getting grads jobs, but it doesn't reflect as well on v100 or NLJ250 data. Many great IP boutiques are not V100 nor NLJ250 despite being great firms.

That's fair, but that doesn't really answer my question. I guess I don't know how much a non-ip position would care about an engineering degree or even decent w/e (though I can imagine they would appreciate the latter).

So I'm taking it you think that NU's biglaw placement isn't really padded by all that much?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

That's fair, but that doesn't really answer my question. I guess I don't know how much a non-ip position would care about an engineering degree or even decent w/e (though I can imagine they would appreciate the latter).

So I'm taking it you think that NU's biglaw placement isn't really padded by all that much?

Work experience? I'm not sure.

IP probably helps, but NU isn't an IP school by any stretch. There are engineers all over the t14.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:17 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Who went craziest in celebration/depression last night?

Everyone was at or above median, so there was no depression. I didn't go out because of being sick. Btw, I would really like it if you attended NU.

No work experience. :(

14yearplan

Postby 14yearplan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:36 am

bjsesq wrote:
Bumi wrote:If I choose to confuse causation and correlation, this isn't necessarily worse. If everyone who posts on tls and goes to NU is at or above median, I am totally coming to NU.

Come to NU because we'll get you drunk and not steal your shit. That's our motto: "NU, get drunk AND keep your shit."

Haha, I think you should put that in Latin around a NU crest . . . or at least print up some hats.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:39 am

rinkrat19 wrote:NU: ebrius habeas excrementa

I want that on a nice purple sweatshirt to proudly wear home from ASW and show the family.

I would totally wear such a shirt.

forward

Postby forward » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:45 am

D-hops wrote:I have two roomies. We live in a nice condo up in wriglyville/north lakeview. We pay 2400 total (I pay a larger portion than they do because I have the master with an attached bath).

How long is the commute from there to the law school - and what's the mode of trans? If I end up at NU, I anticipate living in that area.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:54 am

forward wrote:
D-hops wrote:I have two roomies. We live in a nice condo up in wriglyville/north lakeview. We pay 2400 total (I pay a larger portion than they do because I have the master with an attached bath).

How long is the commute from there to the law school - and what's the mode of trans? If I end up at NU, I anticipate living in that area.

I drive because I have an included garage parking spot at my place (parking in the ramp near the law school is 300ish for the school year of 400ish for a calendar year).

However, when I do take public transit, the redline (L train) gets me to school in 20-30 minutes. The stop downtown is about a 5-10 minute walk from the school. I find it to not be a bad commute at all. There is also a great bus system if you live close to the lake that goes express and can get you there as quickly.

forward

Postby forward » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:09 am

D-hops wrote:
forward wrote:

I drive because I have an included garage parking spot at my place (parking in the ramp near the law school is 300ish for the school year of 400ish for a calendar year).

However, when I do take public transit, the redline (L train) gets me to school in 20-30 minutes. The stop downtown is about a 5-10 minute walk from the school. I find it to not be a bad commute at all. There is also a great bus system if you live close to the lake that goes express and can get you there as quickly.

Cool. I'll have a car, but I hate driving, so I'd prefer to take the train when possible.

Second question, re: the neighborhood you live in. I'm pretty sure I know why. :mrgreen: Do you find it to be a major distraction from studies - not only the general noise/nightlife scene going on around you, but also your desire to go out and be a part of it?

ETA: Along those lines, what are your thoughts on th NU scene and Chicago more generally?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:19 am

forward wrote:
D-hops wrote:
forward wrote:

Cool. I'll have a car, but I hate driving, so I'd prefer to take the train when possible.

Second question, re: the neighborhood you live in. I'm pretty sure I know why. :mrgreen: Do you find it to be a major distraction from studies - not only the general noise/nightlife scene going on around you, but also your desire to go out and be a part of it?

My street is actually very quiet. Most of the residential areas are set off from the main strips of bars and clubs (i.e. halsted street or clark street) and they tend to be pretty quiet.

I had lived in Chicago for a couple years before starting school so I haven't been distracted too much by it (I also have a bf so that takes away some of my desire to go out all the time). But I also make sure to go out whether it be bar review, playing team trivia with my roommates, or to the bar with other friends that I have made in Chicago and have fun because I wouldn't be happy if I couldn't go out on occasion. Minor distractions here and there keep you mentally healthy and that is a good for you.

14yearplan

Postby 14yearplan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:02 am

Just found the second page of the NU Viewbook...

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

forward

Postby forward » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:55 pm

In general, how easy is getting from the neighborhoods north of the law school (let's say Wrigleyville and adjacent areas) via the Red Line to the campus? Is there a pass students can buy, or better yet, is one provided by the school? If not, how much does the train cost?

Thanks for all of your help :)

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:57 pm

forward wrote:In general, how easy is getting from the neighborhoods north of the law school (let's say Wrigleyville and adjacent areas) via the Red Line to the campus? Is there a pass students can buy, or better yet, is one provided by the school? If not, how much does the train cost?

NU provides a UPass which gives you unlimited trans on the CTA. Addison redline stop in Wrigleyville to School is probably anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on what time of day you are traveling.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:57 pm

forward wrote:In general, how easy is getting from the neighborhoods north of the law school (let's say Wrigleyville and adjacent areas) via the Red Line to the campus? Is there a pass students can buy, or better yet, is one provided by the school? If not, how much does the train cost?

You pay $190 per year for unlimited bus and subway. The school collects the money.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:

You pay $190 per year for unlimited bus and subway. The school collects the money.

This, but the U-Pass is only good during the schoolyear. Otherwise a monthly is ~$75 (unless rates have gone up in the last few years.)

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

This, but the U-Pass is only good during the schoolyear. Otherwise a monthly is ~$75 (unless rates have gone up in the last few years.)

And, you have to get the U-pass whether or not you need it. I walk to campus, but still have to get the U-pass. The only times I ever use mine is if I'm going to a bar.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Need moar challenges.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Need moar challenges.

I bet you can't drink yourself into a coma.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:00 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Need moar challenges.

I bet you can't drink yourself into a coma.

I have tried several times recently...

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:33 am

Question: Why did Northwestern expand its class size in 2009? The class went from 242 to 272 and stayed around that level in 2010. Is there an expectation that the class size will go down again, or will the school continue to enroll around ~270 students?

Anyone think this has had a positive or negative effect on the school or its reputation?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:58 am

bdubs wrote:Question: Why did Northwestern expand its class size in 2009? The class went from 242 to 272 and stayed around that level in 2010. Is there an expectation that the class size will go down again, or will the school continue to enroll around ~270 students?

Anyone think this has had a positive or negative effect on the school or its reputation?

The increase is largely attributable to the introduction of the AJD program and enrolling a few more JD/MBAs. The expectation is that the class size will remain the same for years to come, but who really knows. I don't really think that this has had any impact on the school or its reputation.

It does appear as though the school has admitted few transfers in recent years ... somewhat offsetting the increase in the introductory class.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 pm

This is not a question, it's a challenge. The challenge is to read my dopey affectionate post.

I've heard back from only half of my schools, but I'm ever more seriously thinking that Northwestern is the best place for me. Relative to the peer schools that I am still in the running for (GULC held and UVa WL), I'd rather live in Chicago than in DC or Charlottsville. Plus I like that I won't be the creepy old dude in my class, I'll just be one of many creepy old dudes.

As an engineering major considering IP, I'd guess that the higher percentage of engineers at NU mean that (a) firms know to come there for IP lawyers and (b) the IP alumni network is relatively strong.

The only things that I don't like are the weather and the expense. But to me the expense is worth it to have a degree that will open doors even if I'm not summa cum laude. The bimodal income distribution has made a prestige whore out of me. And regarding weather, I don't see USC or UCLA magically becoming splitter friendly this cycle.

Oh yeah, also y'all seem nice.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”