Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Holly Golightly

Gold

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:18 am

IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
purpletiger wrote:Has anyone done the SCOTUS clinic (i.e., alums)? Or heard about it? Considering whether to bid all my points for it, I guess.
I don't really get the hype for the SCOTUS clinic.
Is there even hype?
I don't know, but it always goes for a ridiculous number of points, and the people who bid on it seem to think it's the most amazing thing ever.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:25 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
purpletiger wrote:Has anyone done the SCOTUS clinic (i.e., alums)? Or heard about it? Considering whether to bid all my points for it, I guess.
I don't really get the hype for the SCOTUS clinic.
Is there even hype?
I don't know, but it always goes for a ridiculous number of points, and the people who bid on it seem to think it's the most amazing thing ever.
I've never heard a good thing said about it before now. Knowing what I do now, there are only 2 clinics I would do, and it's not one of them.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:48 am

How well do you have to do at Northwestern to get into BigLaw (v50)?
Top 20%? 30%?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:21 am

roranoa wrote:How well do you have to do at Northwestern to get into BigLaw (v50)?
Top 20%? 30%?
That's not how biglaw hiring works. There is no grade level that is either necessary or sufficient for biglaw. People with good grades tend to get biglaw at a higher rate but people with good grades also strike out and people with bad grades get biglaw.

Also: V50 is a weird and arbitrary cutoff.

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:26 am

IAFG wrote: I've never heard a good thing said about it before now. Knowing what I do now, there are only 2 clinics I would do, and it's not one of them.
Please elaborate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:50 am

I did two very different clinics, and loved them both. The type of work, work loads and rewards I got from each of them were very different, but I thought they were amazing. If I could have taken two clinics at a time, I absolutely would have.

Consider what you care about and what type of legal experience you want to get out of it, and then talk to people who have actually done the clinics you're considering.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 pm

purpletiger wrote:
IAFG wrote: I've never heard a good thing said about it before now. Knowing what I do now, there are only 2 clinics I would do, and it's not one of them.
Please elaborate.
Well for my particular interests and goals. People should do what they're interested in. There's not a Law Review of clinics that is going to be a game changer for you.

eschewinganonymity

New

Post by eschewinganonymity » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on Koppelman? Can't seem to get to his CTEs...

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:22 pm

eschewinganonymity wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Koppelman? Can't seem to get to his CTEs...
He's goofy, super liberal, and the class likely will have a heavy reading load.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Am I missing something, or do like none of the classes have a class description?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm

purpletiger wrote:Am I missing something, or do like none of the classes have a class description?
I suspect you're looking in the wrong place. In CAESAR, go to Fall Class Schedule in the "Law Bidding and Class Schedule" section. The Details link for each class has the description.

I don't know why they can't put the instructor CTEs, the bidding history, the description and whatever else, all in the same place. But that would probably take another $10M donation from an unconscionable mercenary.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:18 am

Legitimately have no idea what classes to take. Any suggestions?

windycityblues

New

Post by windycityblues » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:14 am

IAFG wrote:
purpletiger wrote:
Please elaborate.
Well for my particular interests and goals. People should do what they're interested in. There's not a Law Review of clinics that is going to be a game changer for you.
The above advice is credited in terms of clinics, think of them as a way to start getting experience in an area that interests you. Try to figure out the skills you will most often use (Brief writing? Meeting with clients? Motion practice?) in each clinic, and what the focus of the practice is (juvenile? wrongful convictions? etc) and then match to your interests. I'd also add to your consideration any information you can find about the workload timing.

Re: SCOTUS specifically. It is indeed costly, and will likely impact your ability to take other popular classes (though everybody was still able to fill a schedule). The workload is much like real practice, in that sometimes you can be very slow and other times slammed, it's just the way it works out. Pros: Visiting the Court (no additional cost, includes Q&A with a justice, private tour by clerks, etc), writing petitions/merits briefs that actually go before the Court, lectures with interesting guest professors, and getting a chance to peek into the tiny corner of the law that is supreme court practice. Cons: can be a lot of work, expectations are high (not necessarily a con, but know you cannot blow it off), can be a bit disorganized (the profs both have a lot going on, you have to be responsible for your own case schedule...again, like a real associate), point expensive. My thoughts were along the lines of "I'll probably never get the chance to do this work/experience again," and I'm glad I took it. My classmates in other clinics felt similarly about their experiences, so it really comes down to where your interests lie.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eschewinganonymity

New

Post by eschewinganonymity » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Is it a problem if I am literally taking no substantive courses? They all look interesting but am I ever going to have to explain to someone why why I took "Lawyer Memoirs"?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:28 pm

eschewinganonymity wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Koppelman? Can't seem to get to his CTEs...
Not a big Koppelman fan from my time with him in Con. CTEs seem to say he teaches his non-Con classes differently though, so your experience may vary.

Wildcat14

New

Post by Wildcat14 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Now that dental insurance is becoming available to us, anyone have any thoughts on the HMO/PPO decision, and specifically on dentists in the area?

I've gone the HMO route in the past, and had a great dentist for three years, thanks to the near-unanimous recommendation of my coworkers at the time. Then they went off our insurance, and I randomly picked another dentist for my last visit before leaving work...and left that appointment thankful that I'd never see that dentist again.

That said, any advice y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated!

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Anyone familiar with the Canterbury Court Apartments?
Doesn't seem too fancy, but I don't need fancy. They are one of the few buildings that offer short term leases on furnished apartments...at a very reasonable $1,250 studio / $1,750 1-bedroom, including "most" utilities.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flops89

New

Post by flops89 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 pm

0L but I'm familiar with Canterbury. The apartments are a decent value for the location and the fact that they're flexible leases on furnished apartments. More importantly, there's an awesome piano bar on the first floor. It's worth living there just for the convenient access to the zebra lounge.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:00 am

GL with OCI today everyone

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Cobretti wrote:GL with OCI today everyone
Thx

wishesarefishes

New

Post by wishesarefishes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Any opinions on Shapiro for Negotiation? Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:54 pm

Any obvious problems with this? I'd obviously drop one class, depending on what schedule I want, class sizes and how many points things go for.

Telecommunications (Speta)
Western Legal Traditions (Kadens)
Natural Resources (Barsa)
Land Use & Urban Issues (Shoked)
Evidence (Hughes)
Copyright (DiCola)

I've got a journal but no externship or anything. Probably hockey practice one night a week, but late.

Last edited by rinkrat19 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:54 pm

wishesarefishes wrote:Any opinions on Shapiro for Negotiation? Thanks.
He gave me a B, and I did all the work. I'd pick someone else.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Do we get westlaw accounts or is that something we have to sign up for on our own?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Cobretti wrote:Do we get westlaw accounts or is that something we have to sign up for on our own?
In CLR class you'll get signup codes for Westlaw/Westlaw Next, Lexis/Lexis Advance, and Bloomberg.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”