Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:14 pm

KremeCheez wrote:Anyone had any success with apartment finders other than StudentSpace?
I'm looking for a short term lease / sublet for the first few months of being in Chicago. StudentSpace doesn't seem particularly geared for that type of thing...

I don't think anyone is since there isn't in short term leases. I'd hit up padmapper.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:Anyone had any success with apartment finders other than StudentSpace?
I'm looking for a short term lease / sublet for the first few months of being in Chicago. StudentSpace doesn't seem particularly geared for that type of thing...

I don't think anyone is since there isn't in short term leases. I'd hit up padmapper.

Craigslist is also good for finding sublets

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk1 wrote:Natural Resources was 41 last year because some clown added it on the final day.

And that was after I gracefully took one for the team to drop it to 40.

I remember this. I liked the class a lot but yes, it was a tight curve.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Apparently I've gone potato, because I can't find where you can see the class size history--only the bidding history. Am I imagining that there was a place you could see how many empty seats there were in past years? Bidding history only tells you if it's full (65 seats) or not.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Apparently I've gone potato, because I can't find where you can see the class size history--only the bidding history. Am I imagining that there was a place you could see how many empty seats there were in past years? Bidding history only tells you if it's full (65 seats) or not.

If you look at CTEs it lists the number that reviewed out of the number enrolled in the class.

terriers

Postby terriers » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Potentially retarded question just want to make sure I don't screw myself. Doesn't it make sense to use all of our points in the Round 1 bidding? We only get charged the amount of points that a class goes for right? So if I bid 800 on a class and it goes for 100, I only get charged 100. And also, if we bid a lot for a class and decide that the price it goes for is too much, we can just withdraw and get our points back.

So if I hypothetically bid 5 classes equally and have 5,000 points, wouldn't it just make sense to bid 1,000 per class (I know CAESAR won't actually let you do identical bids) with the knowledge that you'll get the vast majority of those points back and that if a class does go for 1,000 and you don't want to spend that much on it, you can just cancel the bid before Round 2?

Sorry if this already got covered.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:26 pm

How much work beyond class is a clinic? Has anyone done the pre-trial representation one? Are they still valuable if you don't really have any interest in working in criminal law?

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:28 pm

terriers wrote:Potentially retarded question just want to make sure I don't screw myself. Doesn't it make sense to use all of our points in the Round 1 bidding? We only get charged the amount of points that a class goes for right? So if I bid 800 on a class and it goes for 100, I only get charged 100. And also, if we bid a lot for a class and decide that the price it goes for is too much, we can just withdraw and get our points back.

So if I hypothetically bid 5 classes equally and have 5,000 points, wouldn't it just make sense to bid 1,000 per class (I know CAESAR won't actually let you do identical bids) with the knowledge that you'll get the vast majority of those points back and that if a class does go for 1,000 and you don't want to spend that much on it, you can just cancel the bid before Round 2?

Your points are renewed every year, not every semester, so what you have has to get you through the spring too.

terriers

Postby terriers » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Kikero wrote:
terriers wrote:Potentially retarded question just want to make sure I don't screw myself. Doesn't it make sense to use all of our points in the Round 1 bidding? We only get charged the amount of points that a class goes for right? So if I bid 800 on a class and it goes for 100, I only get charged 100. And also, if we bid a lot for a class and decide that the price it goes for is too much, we can just withdraw and get our points back.

Your points are renewed every year, not every semester, so what you have has to get you through the spring too.

Yeah I know, but my point is that you're still able to get most/all of your points back after Round 1 bidding, you only lose the points after Round 2. So before Round 1, why not just spend all your points and then pull back before Round 2 if you need to.

Going back to the hypothetical, say you spend 1,000 points per course for 5 courses and each course goes for 200 points. Even though you bid all of your points in Round 1, you'd only end up actually spending 1,000 and you'd have 4,000 for spring.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:42 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:How much work beyond class is a clinic? Has anyone done the pre-trial representation one? Are they still valuable if you don't really have any interest in working in criminal law?

How much work it is really depends on the clinic, but I think they're amazing and they give people a chance to do actual legal work, which most of law school does not. I don't know anything about that particular clinic, though.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:56 pm

terriers wrote:
Kikero wrote:

Yeah I know, but my point is that you're still able to get most/all of your points back after Round 1 bidding, you only lose the points after Round 2. So before Round 1, why not just spend all your points and then pull back before Round 2 if you need to.

Going back to the hypothetical, say you spend 1,000 points per course for 5 courses and each course goes for 200 points. Even though you bid all of your points in Round 1, you'd only end up actually spending 1,000 and you'd have 4,000 for spring.

The reason that this is not necessarily a good idea is because you assume they will all go for 200ish. If they all go for close to a thousand then you would be left with very few points for spring if there are classes there you want.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:59 pm

bk1 wrote:
terriers wrote:
Kikero wrote:

The reason that this is not necessarily a good idea is because you assume they will all go for 200ish. If they all go for close to a thousand then you would be left with very few points for spring if there are classes there you want.

Right, but you can always drop classes if they all go for too many points, and then you get your points back.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Should I take Telecom with Speta or the Environmental Clinic? (Same time slot)
Should I take Copyright with DiCola or the Pre-Trial Advocacy Clinic? (The clinic would give me that mythical creature of legend, the 4-day weekend.)

I don't want all exams or all papers.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:22 pm

For those of you who have done the internship + full class load thing before, which one of these schedules (internship hours can be fiddled with) looks like it will make me want to kill myself the least? (Also take into account that I will be doing CBs, am on a journal, and am on the board of an extremely active student group).

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:14 pm

I did a practicum + 4 other classes last semester and it kinda blew. I had all classes on MTW and did my externship on Th/F. Either way you cut it, it looks like things are going to suck with the 6-9 PM class on wednesday followed by a 9-5 work day. I'd suggest moving some of your work time to friday.

Picking between those two, i'd probably choose number 1.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Flips88 wrote:I did a practicum + 4 other classes last semester and it kinda blew. I had all classes on MTW and did my externship on Th/F. Either way you cut it, it looks like things are going to suck with the 6-9 PM class on wednesday followed by a 9-5 work day. I'd suggest moving some of your work time to friday.

Damn. I was reaaaaaaaaally hoping to have Fridays completely off. I might just overload my Tuesdays and have Wednesdays to sort of collect myself before 1 full day of work.

Blaaaaaaaaargh I don't know we'll see.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:09 pm

For the PreTrial Representation and Corrections Policy clinic, it says "Enrollment is limited to second- and third-year JD candidates eligible to receive certification under Illinois Supreme Court Rule 711."

A 2L isn't eligible for a 711 until after fall term, right (half of the required law school credits completed)? Does that mean I couldn't sign up for the class this term?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:39 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I did a practicum + 4 other classes last semester and it kinda blew. I had all classes on MTW and did my externship on Th/F. Either way you cut it, it looks like things are going to suck with the 6-9 PM class on wednesday followed by a 9-5 work day. I'd suggest moving some of your work time to friday.

Damn. I was reaaaaaaaaally hoping to have Fridays completely off. I might just overload my Tuesdays and have Wednesdays to sort of collect myself before 1 full day of work.

If you haven't taken a 6-9 class yet, they dragggg. I was in a good class and it still felt like it took forever. Compound that with a 2 hour class before one and you're gonna be brain dead by 9 PM.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:40 pm

Flips88 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

If you haven't taken a 6-9 class yet, they dragggg. I was in a good class and it still felt like it took forever. Compound that with a 2 hour class before one and you're gonna be brain dead by 9 PM.

+1

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Icculus wrote:
Flips88 wrote:If you haven't taken a 6-9 class yet, they dragggg. I was in a good class and it still felt like it took forever. Compound that with a 2 hour class before one and you're gonna be brain dead by 9 PM.

+1

Last semester I had CLR from 4-5:30 and then a 6-9 class afterwards on Wednesdays. It was fucking AWFUL. So I have some idea of how shitty it can be. But I also know myself and having to go into work 4 times a week in the winter is going to be a huge drag too. I think I'm gonna go with #1 but load most of my non-thursday work hours on Tuesday so I just have a REALLY shitty day on Tuesday but normal on the others + 3 day weekend.

I figure I can always request to change my work hours and work on Friday if this turns out to be an awful idea.

ETA: what's the normal # of weeks that a schooltime internship should last? 10? 12? 14?

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:39 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Flips88 wrote:If you haven't taken a 6-9 class yet, they dragggg. I was in a good class and it still felt like it took forever. Compound that with a 2 hour class before one and you're gonna be brain dead by 9 PM.

+1

Last semester I had CLR from 4-5:30 and then a 6-9 class afterwards on Wednesdays. It was fucking AWFUL. So I have some idea of how shitty it can be. But I also know myself and having to go into work 4 times a week in the winter is going to be a huge drag too. I think I'm gonna go with #1 but load most of my non-thursday work hours on Tuesday so I just have a REALLY shitty day on Tuesday but normal on the others + 3 day weekend.

I figure I can always request to change my work hours and work on Friday if this turns out to be an awful idea.

ETA: what's the normal # of weeks that a schooltime internship should last? 10? 12? 14?

Mine is 10.

Flips88 wrote:I did a practicum + 4 other classes last semester and it kinda blew. I had all classes on MTW and did my externship on Th/F

So would you advise practicum + 3 other classes? Or just power through with practicum + 4?

Also, we don't bid on practicums, right? So just email the professor that you want to do it and that's it? I emailed and haven't heard back...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:38 pm

echooo23 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I did a practicum + 4 other classes last semester and it kinda blew. I had all classes on MTW and did my externship on Th/F

So would you advise practicum + 3 other classes? Or just power through with practicum + 4?

Also, we don't bid on practicums, right? So just email the professor that you want to do it and that's it? I emailed and haven't heard back...

depends on what you're taking. I had two classes where I could pretty much check out and not do any reading and two doctrinal classes. You can strike the right balance. Also depends on journal obligations.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Has anyone done the SCOTUS clinic (i.e., alums)? Or heard about it? Considering whether to bid all my points for it, I guess.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:17 am

purpletiger wrote:Has anyone done the SCOTUS clinic (i.e., alums)? Or heard about it? Considering whether to bid all my points for it, I guess.

I don't really get the hype for the SCOTUS clinic.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:18 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
purpletiger wrote:Has anyone done the SCOTUS clinic (i.e., alums)? Or heard about it? Considering whether to bid all my points for it, I guess.

I don't really get the hype for the SCOTUS clinic.

Is there even hype?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”