Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
D-hops

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby D-hops » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:07 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
D-hops wrote:
splitsplat wrote:
IAFG wrote:The problem with going to LS in Chicago is that when/if you leave, you're almost certainly going somewhere worse.

SF & LA > CHI

LA is pretentious and you have to drive places (i.e., everywhere). SF is ridiculously expensive and doesn't have summer.

LOL all you have on SF is that it's expensive? It's expensive because demand is high--i.e., people want to live there because it is an awesome place.

It's almost like you didn't read part of the sentence.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:12 pm

D-hops wrote:
D-hops wrote:LA is pretentious and you have to drive places (i.e., everywhere). SF is ridiculously expensive and doesn't have summer.

LOL all you have on SF is that it's expensive? It's expensive because demand is high--i.e., people want to live there because it is an awesome place.

Chicago summer weather is objectively terrible. Fuck humidity.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:
D-hops wrote:
splitsplat wrote:SF & LA > CHI

LA is pretentious and you have to drive places (i.e., everywhere). SF is ridiculously expensive and doesn't have summer.

Yes, a city being ridiculously expensive is a legitimate criticism. Why would such a criticism shock anyone?

It's not shocking, but the cost of living is a result of other factors, not something exogenous. SF is a highly desirable place to live because of the excellent food, great weather, beautiful views, proximity to Napa/Sonoma, unique counter/culture, etc. Chicago doesn't have any of those things. It just has hurricane ice winds and low rent.

If the best thing about Chicago is low rent, then the city has a real problem. (I don't think that, I am just pointing out it shouldn't be the #1 factor.)

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
D-hops wrote:
D-hops wrote:LA is pretentious and you have to drive places (i.e., everywhere). SF is ridiculously expensive and doesn't have summer.

Chicago summer weather is objectively terrible. Fuck humidity.

I like Chicago summers, so objectively might not be the word.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:47 pm

I love SF and may eventually want to move there, but cost of living is absurd. Also, I like sun.

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:56 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:SF is a highly desirable place to live because of the excellent food, great weather, beautiful views, proximity to Napa/Sonoma, unique counter/culture, etc. Chicago doesn't have any of those things.

I...but...what? Do we live in the same city? And as for the weather, sure it's a little chilly in the winter and muggy in the summer, but c'mon. Put your bigperson pants on. Or booty shorts, depending on the season.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:03 am

Roll Fizzlebeef wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:SF is a highly desirable place to live because of the excellent food, great weather, beautiful views, proximity to Napa/Sonoma, unique counter/culture, etc. Chicago doesn't have any of those things.

I...but...what? Do we live in the same city? And as for the weather, sure it's a little chilly in the winter and muggy in the summer, but c'mon. Put your bigperson pants on. Or booty shorts, depending on the season.

Why suffer through the hurricane ice winds when you can live in SF and don't have to?

I admit Chicago food is good, generally, but it's lacking in some areas, like Mexican (by that I mean burritos) and Asian food. And it's a lot less vegetarian-friendly.

onionz

Postby onionz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:55 am

It's not shocking, but the cost of living is a result of other factors, not something exogenous. SF is a highly desirable place to live because of the excellent food, great weather, beautiful views, proximity to Napa/Sonoma, unique counter/culture, etc. Chicago doesn't have any of those things. It just has hurricane ice winds and low rent.

If the best thing about Chicago is low rent, then the city has a real problem. (I don't think that, I am just pointing out it shouldn't be the #1 factor.)

Demand is absolutely part of it, but let's not forget the whole "supply" thing. Chicago doesn't have stupid zoning laws that prevent companies from putting up reasonably sized buildings.

Boston and DC are both significantly more expensive than Chicago, and each of the cities have some archaic/non-optimal zoning laws that prevent people from putting buildings up that would drive rent-prices down. Chicago has none of that. I know less of the west coast urban situation, but if rent prices are high, it tends to be because people aren't building enough buildings, not only because the area is awesome.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:54 am

How does Northwestern graduates do in the job market these days? Does the Top 30% get V20 firm jobs? Your school fell a couple a rankings during the past few years. Do you feel why?

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:03 am

onionz wrote:

Demand is absolutely part of it, but let's not forget the whole "supply" thing. Chicago doesn't have stupid zoning laws that prevent companies from putting up reasonably sized buildings.

Boston and DC are both significantly more expensive than Chicago, and each of the cities have some archaic/non-optimal zoning laws that prevent people from putting buildings up that would drive rent-prices down. Chicago has none of that. I know less of the west coast urban situation, but if rent prices are high, it tends to be because people aren't building enough buildings, not only because the area is awesome.

Sounds like someone has been reading a lot of Matthew Yglesias recently.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:57 am

onionz wrote:

You realize there are some good reasons that some cities want to limit the number and height of skyscrapers, right? It's not just contrarianism. In Portland it's mostly to avoid blocking the views.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
onionz wrote:

You realize there are some good reasons that some cities want to limit the number and height of skyscrapers, right? It's not just contrarianism. In Portland it's mostly to avoid blocking the views.

The "good reason" for limiting the number and height of skyscrapers is to maximize the property values of shitboomers who bought property in the cities when it was cheap.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:00 am

San Francisco is a dump.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 am

roranoa wrote:How does Northwestern graduates do in the job market these days? Does the Top 30% get V20 firm jobs? Your school fell a couple a rankings during the past few years. Do you feel why?

NU generally places well. Top 30% get firms up and down vault rankings. I don't know why NU fell, and I don't care because it has precisely zero impact on anything that would/should concern a law student.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:18 pm

roranoa wrote:How does Northwestern graduates do in the job market these days? Does the Top 30% get V20 firm jobs? Your school fell a couple a rankings during the past few years. Do you feel why?

Northwestern does consistently with the other non-HYSCCNP schools. Which means that a lot of people get jobs at big firms (V20 is somewhat New York-centric--people at Northwestern would usually take say Jenner at #54 than White & Case at #20), lots of people don't get a job at all, and PI-focused people get shafted. There is a heavy dose of randomness, between OCI and SA's.

Movements in the rankings in the 8-12 range are not super meaningful. The schools in this range are very close, so a couple of variables (GPA median and spending per student) have a big impact on the rankings. E.g. Michigan's spending per student went up a lot the last few years because of construction of the new building, which boosted its ranking. Virginia started gaming its medians very aggressively, which helped its ranking.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:35 pm

The weather in SF is absolutely perfect right now.

So glad to be out of the humidity.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:57 pm

rayiner wrote:

Northwestern does consistently with the other non-HYSCCNP schools. Which means that a lot of people get jobs at big firms (V20 is somewhat New York-centric--people at Northwestern would usually take say Jenner at #54 than White & Case at #20), lots of people don't get a job at all, and PI-focused people get shafted. There is a heavy dose of randomness, between OCI and SA's.

Movements in the rankings in the 8-12 range are not super meaningful. The schools in this range are very close, so a couple of variables (GPA median and spending per student) have a big impact on the rankings. E.g. Michigan's spending per student went up a lot the last few years because of construction of the new building, which boosted its ranking. Virginia started gaming its medians very aggressively, which helped its ranking.

hasnt northwestern been historically known for being slightly better for biglaw than the other between 8-12?

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:58 pm

basilseal wrote:San Francisco is a dump.

I've enjoyed this pissing contest over SF, but please say that again in January when we are all about to die from an ice tornado.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:03 pm

ok, this city argument is getting very annoying. Can we all go back to something we agree on?

Guys, doesnt D-rod suck?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:43 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:ok, this city argument is getting very annoying. Can we all go back to something we agree on?

Guys, doesnt D-rod suck?

$10 million

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:ok, this city argument is getting very annoying. Can we all go back to something we agree on?

Guys, doesnt D-rod suck?

$10 million

They should start a new clinic with the money and name it the Haliburton Legal Justice Center or something with that. Would be awesome.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:04 pm

Also. Who is going to be the one to email D-Rod with instructions on how to imbed an image in an email?

I already just bitched about locker cleanout day for 3Ls being the day of the bar, so I feel like someone else should take this one.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:00 pm

basilseal wrote:San Francisco is a dump.

I've enjoyed this pissing contest over SF, but please say that again in January when we are all about to die from an ice tornado.

Haha I actually love SF's weather- people complain about it being cold in the summer but I think it's perfect.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:08 pm

tried it before, was never contacted :(

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”