Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
onionz

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby onionz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:source: i live @ mcclurg and have rcn

Huh. Apparently I was misinformed when they told me U-Verse was it.

Maybe it's an apartment to apartment thing where only some apartments are wired for RCN?

Is it only tower B with RCN, possibly? Splitsplat and onionz, which tower are/were you in?

I'm in the B tower and I use RCN, since Uverse sucks.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:53 pm

onionz wrote:I'm in the B tower and I use RCN, since Uverse sucks.

I haven't had any issues with U-Verse. Better than Comcast, at least. (A low bar, I know.)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 pm

I miss McClurg :(

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:01 pm

IAFG wrote:I miss McClurg :(

not sure if srs

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:06 pm

bk1 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:does anyone know how much a blackhawks game costs to go to? Im assuming much more than the local hurricanes cost around here

You can get SRO tickets for fairly cheap if you don't mind standing. Other than that, it's a professional sports game. Tickets will run anywhere from under one hundred to several hundred dollars.

I don't think standing room is worth it. Most people end up watching on tvs in the bars. And I can watch a game on tv at a bar for a hell of a lot cheaper than the UC.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Random question: What's the journal floor in RB like? I assume each journal has an office...is there room to work up there? Is there a common work area like on the clinic floor? Who has the lake side of the building?

Just bored and curious.

There's a main work area that is shared. Each journal has a tiny, mostly windowless internal office. There is no lake view. You get to look over the library instead.

Overall not nearly as nice as the clinic area.

It's gross and smelly and enclosed. And this summer, also freezing.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Random question: What's the journal floor in RB like? I assume each journal has an office...is there room to work up there? Is there a common work area like on the clinic floor? Who has the lake side of the building?

Just bored and curious.

There's a main work area that is shared. Each journal has a tiny, mostly windowless internal office. There is no lake view. You get to look over the library instead.

Overall not nearly as nice as the clinic area.

It's gross and smelly and enclosed. And this summer, also freezing.

Thanks, y'all. Something to look forward to. :|

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:15 pm

You can see the lake from the j. office. Not a sweeping view like the clinic, but it's visible.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:24 pm

IAFG wrote:You can see the lake from the j. office. Not a sweeping view like the clinic, but it's visible.

True but the view is mostly obscured and not worth hanging in the office for that reason.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bk1 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:does anyone know how much a blackhawks game costs to go to? Im assuming much more than the local hurricanes cost around here

You can get SRO tickets for fairly cheap if you don't mind standing. Other than that, it's a professional sports game. Tickets will run anywhere from under one hundred to several hundred dollars.

I don't think standing room is worth it. Most people end up watching on tvs in the bars. And I can watch a game on tv at a bar for a hell of a lot cheaper than the UC.

You can usually get 300 level for like seventy bucks, the views at the UC tend to all be pretty good, and the 300 level is a pretty fun atmosphere (the who arena is but 300 level especially)

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:29 am

laptop wise how powerful of a laptop am i actually gonna need. I currently have a decent i3 6GB RAM 750 GB computer that tends to be pretty good with everything i use. However, from the minimum and normal specs that northwestern is sending me im wondering if i need to go up to a i7 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD with a 1 TB hard drive

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:35 am

God, I miss Chicago so, so much.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:36 am

dstars823 wrote:laptop wise how powerful of a laptop am i actually gonna need. I currently have a decent i3 6GB RAM 750 GB computer that tends to be pretty good with everything i use. However, from the minimum and normal specs that northwestern is sending me im wondering if i need to go up to a i7 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD with a 1 TB hard drive

I have a laptop from 2009 with 4GB RAM and a 300GB HD. I haven't had any problems. Either reduce your loans or enjoy the extra monopoly money, you don't need to buy a new computer.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:41 am

bjsesq wrote:God, I miss Chicago so, so much.

Come bacckk ):

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:43 am

Kikero wrote:
dstars823 wrote:laptop wise how powerful of a laptop am i actually gonna need. I currently have a decent i3 6GB RAM 750 GB computer that tends to be pretty good with everything i use. However, from the minimum and normal specs that northwestern is sending me im wondering if i need to go up to a i7 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD with a 1 TB hard drive

I have a laptop from 2009 with 4GB RAM and a 300GB HD. I haven't had any problems. Either reduce your loans or enjoy the extra monopoly money, you don't need to buy a new computer.

sweet thanks! The stats they were giving for a laptop i was kinda beginning to wonder what kinda software we were going to be running lol

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:19 pm

as of now, we dont run any software for exams. as long as you can run office, you are fine

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:51 pm

bjsesq wrote:God, I miss Chicago so, so much.

It misses you, too!

...I don't want to leave.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:59 pm

The problem with going to LS in Chicago is that when/if you leave, you're almost certainly going somewhere worse.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:09 pm

IAFG wrote:The problem with going to LS in Chicago is that when/if you leave, you're almost certainly going somewhere worse.

SF & LA > CHI

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:15 pm

splitsplat wrote:
IAFG wrote:The problem with going to LS in Chicago is that when/if you leave, you're almost certainly going somewhere worse.

SF & LA > CHI

LA is pretentious and you have to drive places (i.e., everywhere). SF is ridiculously expensive and doesn't have summer.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:38 pm

D-hops wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

SF & LA > CHI

LA is pretentious and you have to drive places (i.e., everywhere). SF is ridiculously expensive and doesn't have summer.

LOL all you have on SF is that it's expensive? It's expensive because demand is high--i.e., people want to live there because it is an awesome place.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:03 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
D-hops wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

SF & LA > CHI

LOL all you have on SF is that it's expensive? It's expensive because demand is high--i.e., people want to live there because it is an awesome place.

Yes, a city being ridiculously expensive is a legitimate criticism. Why would such a criticism shock anyone?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:08 pm

SF is a giant suburb at Manhattan prices. Fuck that.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:26 pm

D-hops wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

SF & LA > CHI

Counterpoint: Portland.
Went sailing today. Going snowboarding tomorrow. 8) 8)

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Kikero wrote:

This year, they're making us submit receipts of a computer bought no earlier than this May, and we get extra loans up to $1500 to cover the cost. So, if you don't buy a new computer, you don't get the extra loans.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”