Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bk1

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:08 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I think my 6Mbps internet + basic digital cable package + HDDVR is like $70/mo, after McClurg pays the first $30 for basic analog service.

McClurg tacks on the $30 to your rent so you're still paying for it. You are getting a deal through McClurg compared to the normal AT&T rates, but you miss out on all the introductory promotions that AT&T and every telecom runs. If you stay in McClurg for only a year you're actually losing money because the McClurg discount rate doesn't start becoming a better value than the promotions until 18 months or so. Also: if you don't want TV, you're still stuck paying the $30.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:McClurg only has U-Verse, but it's not limited to 3Mbps at that location, fortunately. I pay for the 6Mbps level, figuring that's the minimum that will let Netflix stream in HD, and it's pretty ok most of the time. Not blazing fast by any means, but I could also upgrade it if it really bothered me. (The U-Verse top speed is nowhere near the Comcast top speed option, but Comcast costs more.)

If anyone is thinking about TV, the U-Verse HDDVR is miles beyond what Comcast ever gave me (albeit in Oregon). It has recording programming via the internet (so I can record and delete things from home on my DVR in Chicago) huge capacity and it records 3 things at once. Not quite The Hopper from Dish, but way better than what I've ever had before. And the modem itself is a wireless router, so I don't need to hook up another device for wifi.

I think my 6Mbps internet + basic digital cable package + HDDVR is like $70/mo, after McClurg pays the first $30 for basic analog service.

rcn is an option @ mcclurg as well

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:21 pm

splitsplat wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:McClurg only has U-Verse, but it's not limited to 3Mbps at that location, fortunately. I pay for the 6Mbps level, figuring that's the minimum that will let Netflix stream in HD, and it's pretty ok most of the time. Not blazing fast by any means, but I could also upgrade it if it really bothered me. (The U-Verse top speed is nowhere near the Comcast top speed option, but Comcast costs more.)

If anyone is thinking about TV, the U-Verse HDDVR is miles beyond what Comcast ever gave me (albeit in Oregon). It has recording programming via the internet (so I can record and delete things from home on my DVR in Chicago) huge capacity and it records 3 things at once. Not quite The Hopper from Dish, but way better than what I've ever had before. And the modem itself is a wireless router, so I don't need to hook up another device for wifi.

I think my 6Mbps internet + basic digital cable package + HDDVR is like $70/mo, after McClurg pays the first $30 for basic analog service.

rcn is an option @ mcclurg as well

I...did not know this. The building only has phone lines for DSL afaik, so are you sure?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:22 pm

source: i live @ mcclurg and have rcn

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 pm

splitsplat wrote:source: i live @ mcclurg and have rcn

Huh. Apparently I was misinformed when they told me U-Verse was it.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:57 pm

DON'T GET AT&T, IT IS THE WORST THING EVER AND WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO MURDER PEOPLE.

Seriously. Their customer service is awful, and my Internet constantly goes out for significant periods of time. Including right now. Less than a week before the bar. And they really could t possibly fucking care less. If I can avoid it, I will never again use their products for the rest of my life.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:00 pm

I've never had a single problem with AT&T's internet.

All telecoms suck and they all have awful customer service.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:00 pm

bk1 wrote:I've never had a single problem with AT&T's internet.

+1
My bad experiences have been with Comcast, personally.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 pm

And for cell service, I highly recommend t-mobile. I just switched a few months ago, and even with financing a new iPhone at $20/month, my bill is still cheaper than it was with Verizon. Unlimited everything. Plus free tethering up to a certain point. And no contracts. Haven't had any major problems with reception anywhere in the city.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

+1

I have actually never had any problems with Comcast. But regardless, I actually want people at AT&T to die right now. So no one should use them. kthnx

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:And for cell service, I highly recommend t-mobile. I just switched a few months ago, and even with financing a new iPhone at $20/month, my bill is still cheaper than it was with Verizon. Unlimited everything. Plus free tethering up to a certain point. And no contracts. Haven't had any major problems with reception anywhere in the city.

I switched to T-Mobile a while ago and pay a lot less than I did on AT&T. They finally upgraded their towers for compatibility with the iPhone last fall, but I think you're still limited to 3G. (That may just be for iPhone 4 though.)

I don't have any reception issues except on campus. I have to go outside to get any reception and I know that is a common experience among T-Mobile subscribers.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:02 pm

All internet service provides, cable service providers, and cell phone providers pretty much suck. Just choose the best deal.

onionz

Postby onionz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

+1

I live in Mcclurg (incoming 1l) and have used RCN for the past year at 10mbs+. Uverse sucks.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:DON'T GET AT&T, IT IS THE WORST THING EVER AND WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO MURDER PEOPLE.

Seriously. Their customer service is awful, and my Internet constantly goes out for significant periods of time. Including right now. Less than a week before the bar. And they really could t possibly fucking care less. If I can avoid it, I will never again use their products for the rest of my life.

I didn't have many problems, but the 1 or 2 times I did I will concur that AT&T customer service is horrible.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Maybe it's an apartment to apartment thing where only some apartments are wired for RCN?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:50 pm

bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Maybe it's an apartment to apartment thing where only some apartments are wired for RCN?

Is it only tower B with RCN, possibly? Splitsplat and onionz, which tower are/were you in?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Is it only tower B with RCN, possibly? Splitsplat and onionz, which tower are/were you in?

I'm in B, but my buddy is in A and has RCN as well, so I don't think it's tower specific.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:43 pm

splitsplat wrote:I'm in B, but my buddy is in A and has RCN as well, so I don't think it's tower specific.

Well, my rental agent or whoever was just an idiot, then. I don't have much trouble believing that.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:49 pm

In case anyone was wondering, I have been at home all day waiting for an AT&T tech to get here and fix my internet. And they just informed me that it will be another 2+ hours before someone even gets here. And now I have been on hold for more than 10 minutes to just speak with someone about it.

Yeah, this is definitely what I need a few days before the fucking bar exam.

ETA: And they fucking just cut off the call after I was on hold for that long.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:18 pm

does anyone know how much a blackhawks game costs to go to? Im assuming much more than the local hurricanes cost around here

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:58 pm

dstars823 wrote:does anyone know how much a blackhawks game costs to go to? Im assuming much more than the local hurricanes cost around here

You can get SRO tickets for fairly cheap if you don't mind standing. Other than that, it's a professional sports game. Tickets will run anywhere from under one hundred to several hundred dollars.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:18 pm

bk1 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:does anyone know how much a blackhawks game costs to go to? Im assuming much more than the local hurricanes cost around here

You can get SRO tickets for fairly cheap if you don't mind standing. Other than that, it's a professional sports game. Tickets will run anywhere from under one hundred to several hundred dollars.

thanks, im used to the carolina hurricanes only costing like 10-20$ so i had no clue

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:33 pm

dstars823 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

thanks, im used to the carolina hurricanes only costing like 10-20$ so i had no clue

standing room is $40 while the cheapest ticket at face is $80. If you have to buy a ticket on stubhub, cheapest is $100 (and thats for the bad games, good games on weekends or popular teams go for more). Last year Sports Law Society had group tickets for one game at $50.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:13 pm

Random question: What's the journal floor in RB like? I assume each journal has an office...is there room to work up there? Is there a common work area like on the clinic floor? Who has the lake side of the building?

Just bored and curious.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Random question: What's the journal floor in RB like? I assume each journal has an office...is there room to work up there? Is there a common work area like on the clinic floor? Who has the lake side of the building?

Just bored and curious.

There's a main work area that is shared. Each journal has a tiny, mostly windowless internal office. There is no lake view. You get to look over the library instead.

Overall not nearly as nice as the clinic area.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”