Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Holly Golightly

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:43 pm

They're cleaning out lockers for people who just graduated the day after the bar exam. Orientation isn't until mid to late August, you really can't give people the fucking weekend after the bar before cleaning out the lockers?

Sometimes I really hate how inconsiderate the administration is.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:They're cleaning out lockers for people who just graduated the day after the bar exam. Orientation isn't until mid to late August, you really can't give people the fucking weekend after the bar before cleaning out the lockers?

Only sometimes?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:They're cleaning out lockers for people who just graduated the day after the bar exam. Orientation isn't until mid to late August, you really can't give people the fucking weekend after the bar before cleaning out the lockers?

Zero chance I clean my locker.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Zero chance I clean my locker.

You guys should all make a point to still be drunk from the night before and just trash your lockers even more :twisted:

Next year will definitely get a few extra days, do it for future generations!

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Does anyone have experience with any local or discounted cell phone carriers in Chicago? I'm on Virgin Mobile currently and didn't have much luck finding a 4G signal when I was in town apartment hunting, but that could just be my phone. I may just bite the bullet and switch to AT&T or Verizon, but going from a 35/month cell phone bill to 80+ would kind of suck.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Solistus wrote:Does anyone have experience with any local or discounted cell phone carriers in Chicago? I'm on Virgin Mobile currently and didn't have much luck finding a 4G signal when I was in town apartment hunting, but that could just be my phone. I may just bite the bullet and switch to AT&T or Verizon, but going from a 35/month cell phone bill to 80+ would kind of suck.

Sprint just upgraded their stuff in Chicago last year and went from shitty 3G to perfectly good 4G signal in pretty much all of the city that I've been to.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Solistus wrote:Does anyone have experience with any local or discounted cell phone carriers in Chicago? I'm on Virgin Mobile currently and didn't have much luck finding a 4G signal when I was in town apartment hunting, but that could just be my phone. I may just bite the bullet and switch to AT&T or Verizon, but going from a 35/month cell phone bill to 80+ would kind of suck.

depends if you want data or not. if you just need minutes+text you can get a page plus plan, it's fucking cheap (and great call reception since it runs on verizon's network).

if you want reliable data, gotta shell out the $$$

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm very interested with GPA and LSAT score above the 75th percentile. Wondering how important the interview is? I live on the opposite side of the country so getting to campus would be a bit of a pain. Did anyone get the $150k 3 year offer? Thats what I've got my sights on now. If so, can you shed light on your application? PM is fine if you dont want to post it publically.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:26 pm

paglababa wrote:I'm very interested with GPA and LSAT score above the 75th percentile. Wondering how important the interview is? I live on the opposite side of the country so getting to campus would be a bit of a pain. Did anyone get the $150k 3 year offer? Thats what I've got my sights on now. If so, can you shed light on your application? PM is fine if you dont want to post it publically.

If you want to apply ED (the 150K guarantee) you have to do an on-campus interview. they value additional factors like interview, Why NU, etc pretty highly, but if you've got good stats they aren't going to make or break it. If you want to try your luck at a 150K scholly via RD, then you could do an alumni interview, which would be held in your area by a NU alum.

ETA: also, numbers-wise people who get the ED 150K are usually ~3.7/17X. Not sure about people who get full rides through RD.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:31 pm

paglababa wrote:I'm very interested with GPA and LSAT score above the 75th percentile. Wondering how important the interview is? I live on the opposite side of the country so getting to campus would be a bit of a pain. Did anyone get the $150k 3 year offer? Thats what I've got my sights on now. If so, can you shed light on your application? PM is fine if you dont want to post it publically.

If you're above both 75ths the biggest thing going against you would be YP. Flying out would obviously do the most to fight against YP, but doing an alumni interview near you would still help a lot. You'll also need a well articulated Why NU. With that being said if they think you'll actually attend and you have those numbers you have an extremely good shot at RD 150k.

Obviously there is always ED too. For an ED interview I think as long as you don't come off as arrogant/entitled it would be yours for the taking.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:31 pm

FWIW I didn't interview or write a Why NU and got the deferral $150k scholarship. I also know somebody that didn't interview and got $120k without a deferral. Still, to put it into perspective is an increased chance at $150,000 really not worth $300 for a flight?

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Kikero wrote:

FWIW I didn't interview or write a Why NU and got the deferral $150k scholarship. I also know somebody that didn't interview and got $120k without a deferral. Still, to put it into perspective is an increased chance at $150,000 really not worth $300 for a flight?

I hear alot about these defferal scholarships on TLS. Are they mostly given out to KJDs so that they can get some WE? Or do people with 2 years WE already also get them? I'm hoping the latter, because I want to start lawschool next cycle for sure. Essentially, I'm asking the purspose of these scholarships...is it to follow through with NU's mantra of matriculants having WE, or because they don't have any more funds to give out that year?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:26 pm

paglababa wrote:
Kikero wrote:

I hear alot about these defferal scholarships on TLS. Are they mostly given out to KJDs so that they can get some WE? Or do people with 2 years WE already also get them? I'm hoping the latter, because I want to start lawschool next cycle for sure. Essentially, I'm asking the purspose of these scholarships...is it to follow through with NU's mantra of matriculants having WE, or because they don't have any more funds to give out that year?

The deferral 150Ks only go to K-JDs, but ppl with WE also get standard 150Ks good for that fall. The deferral is just to go along with the mantra, they get sent out way too early in the cycle for them to have any idea how depleted their scholly fund is gonna be.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Cobretti wrote:

If you're above both 75ths the biggest thing going against you would be YP. Flying out would obviously do the most to fight against YP, but doing an alumni interview near you would still help a lot. You'll also need a well articulated Why NU. With that being said if they think you'll actually attend and you have those numbers you have an extremely good shot at RD 150k.

Obviously there is always ED too. For an ED interview I think as long as you don't come off as arrogant/entitled it would be yours for the taking.

YP is definitely a concern, here are my thoughts. Perhaps, flawed?

1. Regarding YP - don't think probability of outright rejection is super high. Worse would be acceptance without 150k offer.
2. I think an interview and strong why NU essay would help alleviate #1. Ideally would love NU RD 150k, but need to effectively convince adcom that I LOVE NU and would go over other schools.
3. If an applicant EDs with super high numbers, why is so much importance placed on an oncampus interview? I mean just ED already shows binding desire to attend. Wondering if someone would still get the $$$ without going on campus in this case. This is all theoretical musing. Feels like with WE and above 75 should be auto unless application has serious flaws/criminalrecord.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:57 pm

paglababa wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

YP is definitely a concern, here are my thoughts. Perhaps, flawed?

1. Regarding YP - don't think probability of outright rejection is super high. Worse would be acceptance without 150k offer.
2. I think an interview and strong why NU essay would help alleviate #1. Ideally would love NU RD 150k, but need to effectively convince adcom that I LOVE NU and would go over other schools.
3. If an applicant EDs with super high numbers, why is so much importance placed on an oncampus interview? I mean just ED already shows binding desire to attend. Wondering if someone would still get the $$$ without going on campus in this case. This is all theoretical musing. Feels like with WE and above 75 should be auto unless application has serious flaws/criminalrecord.

NU loves the interview. One of their quirks. Plays into the "business-oriented" reputation and confirms that you're not an axe murderer or complete weirdo. Any weirdo can seem normal on paper.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Weirdos and future ax murderers absolutely get through our rigorous interview process.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:38 pm

IAFG wrote:Weirdos and future ax murderers absolutely get through our rigorous interview process.

It makes me nervous for other law schools if they end up getting someone who actually got dinged because of an interview here.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:56 pm

IAFG wrote:Weirdos and future ax murderers absolutely get through our rigorous interview process.

See generally Boo, The Collected Vocaroos (2013).

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:08 pm

I never said it actually worked.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:52 am

How much are people paying for cable/internet, and which provider are you using? Moving into Onterie next month and trying to figure out if there's a way to get ESPN without breaking the bank (how is it not included in the basic package??!).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:35 am

bananasplit19 wrote:How much are people paying for cable/internet, and which provider are you using? Moving into Onterie next month and trying to figure out if there's a way to get ESPN without breaking the bank (how is it not included in the basic package??!).

In my experience, U-verse > Comcast.

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:03 am

traehekat wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:How much are people paying for cable/internet, and which provider are you using? Moving into Onterie next month and trying to figure out if there's a way to get ESPN without breaking the bank (how is it not included in the basic package??!).

In my experience, U-verse > Comcast.

Just checked my address and U-verse only offers up to 3Mbps. Anyone have opinions on Comcast vs RCN? They both offer 25Mbps for $30/month. I don't plan on getting cable or phone service, just internet.

Also, I know these have been asked and answered before either here or on another Northwestern thread, but when will we get our CTA passes for the semester and when should I realistically expect loans to disburse? IIRC, we get the transit passes at the start of orientation, but loans don't usually come in until a few days after classes start. Is that correct?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:54 am

Correct, CTA passes are during orientation. If you're going to be here a bit before that, order a Chicago card (auto-reloading, not monthly) and that'll simplify your life. I had One over the summer that I kept in a drawer once the school year started and pulled out to use this summer. However, with the ventra system it might not be useable next summer. Still, it's handy!

ETA: Chicago card plus is the one you can get online, I believe.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:02 am

Comcast at Onterie is the worst. THE WORST. Constant shitty outages tht are building wide. There were multiple times where like 4 people would (phone) FB chat me all around the same time going "Is your internet down too??? What is happening???"

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:04 pm

McClurg only has U-Verse, but it's not limited to 3Mbps at that location, fortunately. I pay for the 6Mbps level, figuring that's the minimum that will let Netflix stream in HD, and it's pretty ok most of the time. Not blazing fast by any means, but I could also upgrade it if it really bothered me. (The U-Verse top speed is nowhere near the Comcast top speed option, but Comcast costs more.)

If anyone is thinking about TV, the U-Verse HDDVR is miles beyond what Comcast ever gave me (albeit in Oregon). It has recording programming via the internet (so I can record and delete things from home on my DVR in Chicago) huge capacity and it records 3 things at once. Not quite The Hopper from Dish, but way better than what I've ever had before. And the modem itself is a wireless router, so I don't need to hook up another device for wifi.

I think my 6Mbps internet + basic digital cable package + HDDVR is like $70/mo, after McClurg pays the first $30 for basic analog service.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”