Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Samara

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 am

D-hops wrote:
Samara wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Please tell me everything you know about Streeter Place. I searched the forums and the little I found was at least a year old. I might be committing to them TODAY and they look great, take my 72 lb dog and all that, but I need to know if there is something off about the place, thanks!

More info: I will be paying $1879 for a 1 br 8xx sf. which is expensive, but my wife will be there working so w/e loans don't cover she will.

Thanks for any info!

Dude, you can get a place literally twice that size for less money per month in Lincoln Park/Lakeview that is much more dog friendly.

You are vastly overestimating the size of a place you can get in Lincoln Park/Lakeview at that price. Either that or you are implicitly reducing the quality of the apartment significantly from what you'll get in the Streeter.

It's not going to be in a high-rise, but I am living in such a place, with central air and in-apt washer/dryer. 8)

Point being, why cram into a tiny place in Streeterville with hardly anywhere to take your dog when you can get a much larger and dog-friendlier place with a 20 min commute?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:47 am

an 800sq ft 1 bedroom is hardly a tiny place

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:49 am

Samara wrote:Point being, why cram into a tiny place in Streeterville with hardly anywhere to take your dog when you can get a much larger and dog-friendlier place with a 20 min commute?

100+ more hours (15 min less commute, 30 min total per day times X weeks of class) of sleep is my reason. Also: not having to spend all day at school is awesome.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:55 am

Meh, fair enough. I think incoming 1Ls tend to overvalue proximity, but if it's really that important to you, go for it.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:57 am

to me, the biggest value was being able to go home to change or grab shit if i forgot it. having to schlep around all day in a suit because there was some networking event at 5pm sounds terrible

nucat

Postby nucat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:57 am

Micdiddy wrote:Please tell me everything you know about Streeter Place. I searched the forums and the little I found was at least a year old. I might be committing to them TODAY and they look great, take my 72 lb dog and all that, but I need to know if there is something off about the place, thanks!

More info: I will be paying $1879 for a 1 br 8xx sf. which is expensive, but my wife will be there working so w/e loans don't cover she will.

Thanks for any info!

Former resident here. The price is lower than what I've heard others have paid for in a 1BR in the last three years ($1950-2100). Note in your budgeting that you'll have utilities on top of your rent, which the building used to include in rent and I don't think you'll have the option of canceling cable to save $. It's not a tiny unit and you get extra space that's usable on the 12th floor.

Other notes: Nice amenities floor, though poor lighting once the sun goes down (plenty of law/med students bring task lights up). Free coffee and hot cocoa up there, too. Plus a steam room & sauna in the locker rooms if 1L stress gets to you.

Lots of dogs in the building and a handy fenced in dog area across grand and one block east. A great fenced in dog park in Lakeshore East a shortish walk across the river. Dogs must use the back elevator, but that elevator is fine (and doesn't reek of cologne/perfume, which can be a downside to the lobby elevators on weekend evenings).

All in all SP's a good place for 1L/law school if you can afford it. Streeterville isn't a hotbed of culture or personality, and you'll be close to school in moments where you want some distance, but I wouldn't have any qualms about recommending signing. On the topic of Streeter Place versus living up north, trust your own gut and values. You might appreciate the ability to come home for lunch even if you stay at school and treat it like a job. And it could be super handy to leave class, get your dog outside, and be back at campus and productive all within 20 minutes should something come up for your wife.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Samara wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Samara wrote:

Thanks for any info!

Dude, you can get a place literally twice that size for less money per month in Lincoln Park/Lakeview that is much more dog friendly.

You are vastly overestimating the size of a place you can get in Lincoln Park/Lakeview at that price. Either that or you are implicitly reducing the quality of the apartment significantly from what you'll get in the Streeter.

It's not going to be in a high-rise, but I am living in such a place, with central air and in-apt washer/dryer. 8)

Point being, why cram into a tiny place in Streeterville with hardly anywhere to take your dog when you can get a much larger and dog-friendlier place with a 20 min commute?

I'm just saying if you can find me a >1600 square foot apartment of comparable quality in lincoln park/lakeview for less than that price, I'll eat my hat.

Edit: and then I'll put a deposit down on the place immediately.

cowabunga85

Postby cowabunga85 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Can someone speak to the placement abilities of NU for 1L and 2L summers? I just turned down Duke for NU and I'm have some serious regret about this decision.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:48 pm

cowabunga85 wrote:Can someone speak to the placement abilities of NU for 1L and 2L summers? I just turned down Duke for NU and I'm have some serious regret about this decision.

I don't know a single 1L who doesn't have a job. Even friends of mine who didn't start searching until like April/May have impressive-sounding internships for the summer.

2L summers I'll let someone else talk about.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:02 pm

cowabunga85 wrote:Can someone speak to the placement abilities of NU for 1L and 2L summers? I just turned down Duke for NU and I'm have some serious regret about this decision.

As crumps said, 1L summer is not important. You're working for free, everyone can get job. Though I will say around 10% or so the class does get 1L SAs.

Duke and NU are peer schools. Their placement abilities are similar. If you are taking out similar debt for each then they really are equal. The only difference is that they have different regional strengths. If you want to work in the midwest, choose NU. If you want to work in the south, choose Duke. If you want to work anywhere else, flip a coin.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 pm

bk1 wrote:
Samara wrote:Point being, why cram into a tiny place in Streeterville with hardly anywhere to take your dog when you can get a much larger and dog-friendlier place with a 20 min commute?

100+ more hours (15 min less commute, 30 min total per day times X weeks of class) of sleep is my reason. Also: not having to spend all day at school is awesome.

THIS.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:43 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
bk1 wrote:

THIS.

Yeah I don't understand why some of the Lakeview/Lincoln Park crowd won't acknowledge that there's a legit reason someone might prefer to pay more for a smaller place in Streeterville. I know the Streeterville choice is right for me, but I don't express bafflement that not everyone agrees. You gotta evaluate your own needs and preferences. There's not a WRONG choice. I mean, unless you think you found a great place down in Fuller Park or something.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm staying. I don't want to commute, I want to have the option of eating/napping at home during the day, I don't want to wait 15 minutes for the bus in the snow, and most of all, I don't want to move in the middle of OCI.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for all the input you guys! We took the place! It's really happening, they already approved us an everything. Awesome! I appreciate the concerns with price, but I am mostly happy no one had anything awful to say about the place itself. Price is an issue, but it's one we will now have to deal with.
Thanks again!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:09 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Thanks for all the input you guys! We took the place! It's really happening, they already approved us an everything. Awesome! I appreciate the concerns with price, but I am mostly happy no one had anything awful to say about the place itself. Price is an issue, but it's one we will now have to deal with.
Thanks again!

iirc, it's one of the nicer places in the area.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:42 pm

How much work/how difficult is Secured Transactions? It's listed as 4 credits. How might it compare to a 3-credit "hard" class like Fed Jur?

chill

Postby chill » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:23 pm

chill wrote:Quick question-- will we rising 2L's get access to our new lockers before OCI starts? (We no longer have access to our old ones, correct?)

Wait we have new lockers? Shit, do we have to clear out our old ones? I still have books and stuff in there. :oops:

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:23 pm

chill wrote:Quick question-- will we rising 2L's get access to our new lockers before OCI starts? (We no longer have access to our old ones, correct?)

Unless something changed, you just keep the same one all three years. did they send out a notice or somehting?

chill

Postby chill » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:25 pm

I've been using mine throughout the summer (including yesterday), so we definitely still have access to them.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:48 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Wait we have new lockers? Shit, do we have to clear out our old ones? I still have books and stuff in there. :oops:

Same... If we had to clear them out, the I'd bet D-rod is drinking the whiskey that was in mine.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:58 pm

You have the same locker for all 3 years.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Flips88 wrote:You have the same locker for all 3 years.

I don't even remember where it is or what the combo is. :|

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:06 pm

bk1 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:You have the same locker for all 3 years.

I don't even remember where it is or what the combo is. :|

I think my combo is in my phone somewhere... :?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”