Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rayiner

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rayiner » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:30 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
chadwick218 wrote: I would say that only 10%-15% have nothing at this point.
Is your general impression that this 10-15 percent is scattered throughout the class performance-wise? I know that NU doesn't rank their students (right?) and I get that one can't assume that the people w/o jobs are just the bottom end of the class, but I'm curious about the distribution.

People without a job are definitely concentrated in the bottom part of the class, but I think less so at NU than at other places. There are a lot of people here with impressive WE, industry connections, and desirable backgrounds (banking, engineering, accounting, etc). I know below-median people with V50 jobs, and I'd bet they beat out a number of above-median people for those spots.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:41 pm

rayiner wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Is your general impression that this 10-15 percent is scattered throughout the class performance-wise? I know that NU doesn't rank their students (right?) and I get that one can't assume that the people w/o jobs are just the bottom end of the class, but I'm curious about the distribution.

People without a job are definitely concentrated in the bottom part of the class, but I think less so at NU than at other places. There are a lot of people here with impressive WE, industry connections, and desirable backgrounds (banking, engineering, accounting, etc). I know below-median people with V50 jobs, and I'd bet they beat out a number of above-median people for those spots.

It does go the other way as well. I know at least two that are WELL above median, have great WE and don't have jobs. There could be various reasons for that, but it does (sometimes) take more than a great GPA to get a job ITE.

However, what the others have said is correct. The biggest correlation with not having a job is a low GPA.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Did someone say something about wanting to drink with 1Ls at ASW?

Sup?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Did someone say something about wanting to drink with 1Ls at ASW?

Sup?

HGL and I know more about boozing at ASW than employment prospects. looking forward to it!

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:36 pm

rayiner wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

This is what freaks me put about NU. Are there a decent amount of students with just mediorcre work experience?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:43 pm

IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Did someone say something about wanting to drink with 1Ls at ASW?

Sup?

HGL and I know more about boozing at ASW than employment prospects. looking forward to it!

The other law school I'm admitted to so far is a large state university with a proud drinking tradition. I need to know how NU compares.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Bumi wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Sup?

The other law school I'm admitted to so far is a large state university with a proud drinking tradition. I need to know how NU compares.

we drink immoderately and often.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:18 pm

IAFG wrote:
Bumi wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Sup?

we drink immoderately and often.

:D

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:18 am

Do you know any students who requested and were granted 1-year deferrals on admission? (And obviously, the mandatory deferrals of some applicants straight of UG to get WE before matriculating don't count.) I am wondering how stingy NU is with granting them--whether you need to have an excuse like a parent dying or a once-in-a-lifetime internship opportunity, or whether some valid (but not earth-shattering) work- and finance-related reasons might suffice.

also, if you take a deferal, an you still go to this year's ASW, and do you pay a seat deposit this year?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:22 am

bjsesq wrote:
boozehound wrote:I play "Candyland" with modified "Sorry" rules, which obviously involves two pieces for each player and two card draws per turn. Does NU have a club for that?

No. But we do have a LARP club in which Desert Fox is star wolf and I'm Falco, firing shot after shot into his G-Diffuser. We need someone to act as Andross' nephew Andrew. You in?

Not enough challenges. You guys need to have a LARP session in the park across from the water tower during ASW.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:45 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Do you know any students who requested and were granted 1-year deferrals on admission? (And obviously, the mandatory deferrals of some applicants straight of UG to get WE before matriculating don't count.) I am wondering how stingy NU is with granting them--whether you need to have an excuse like a parent dying or a once-in-a-lifetime internship opportunity, or whether some valid (but not earth-shattering) work- and finance-related reasons might suffice.

also, if you take a deferal, an you still go to this year's ASW, and do you pay a seat deposit this year?

I did this last year b/c we were having a kid (see tar). I didn't get the impression that they were stingy, but you need to have a real reason, not just indecision. I believe it says on their site that you need either an exceptional opportunity or hardship. I'd say it depends on what you mean by "finance-related". If you do defer, you pay 3 seat deposits: 1 in April, 1 in August, 1 in the next April.

There's no harm in asking admissions what they think before you officially request the deferral, that's what I did.

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Bumi wrote:I just RSVP'd for ASW a few days ago, and I chose not to try to stay with a student because I would feel awkward crashing on some dude's studio floor when I could just find a hotel for myself. Will this affect my ability to do shots and/or drink whiskey with 1Ls? Because if so, I'm sure I can switch my RSVP.

I'm also planning on coming up there in February to see what bad weather is really like. There will still be bad weather in February, right?

I live in Chicago and February is typically 72 degrees and sunny with vendors handing out free ice cream on the street corners.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:43 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Do you know any students who requested and were granted 1-year deferrals on admission? (And obviously, the mandatory deferrals of some applicants straight of UG to get WE before matriculating don't count.) I am wondering how stingy NU is with granting them--whether you need to have an excuse like a parent dying or a once-in-a-lifetime internship opportunity, or whether some valid (but not earth-shattering) work- and finance-related reasons might suffice.

I did this last year b/c we were having a kid (see tar). I didn't get the impression that they were stingy, but you need to have a real reason, not just indecision. I believe it says on their site that you need either an exceptional opportunity or hardship. I'd say it depends on what you mean by "finance-related". If you do defer, you pay 3 seat deposits: 1 in April, 1 in August, 1 in the next April.

There's no harm in asking admissions what they think before you officially request the deferral, that's what I did.

Congrats on the kid. :)

I think my best 'reason' to defer is professional--I work in a very small department, already shorthanded and operating under an interim director. Losing me would be a problem and replacing me quickly would be hard, since we aren't sure the interim director even has hiring power. My boss has offered to write a letter in support.

My financial reason is that I don't become vested in my retirement plan until December, so I'd lose that money if I quit before then.

This whole time I've been planning on going to LS part time here at home, keeping my job. Then NU accepted me and my entire plan got turned upside down. It's the only school I applied to that could tempt me to move, but since I wasn't planning on moving, I'm just not prepared for it, logistically. I'm hoping I can sell NU on the fact that their school is so sooperawesome that a mere email from them convinced me to rearrange my life...I just need a little longer to do it. :|

Thanks for the info.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

I think my best 'reason' to defer is professional--I work in a very small department, already shorthanded and operating under an interim director. Losing me would be a problem and replacing me quickly would be hard, since we aren't sure the interim director even has hiring power. My boss has offered to write a letter in support.

My financial reason is that I don't become vested in my retirement plan until December, so I'd lose that money if I quit before then.

This whole time I've been planning on going to LS part time here at home, keeping my job. Then NU accepted me and my entire plan got turned upside down. It's the only school I applied to that could tempt me to move, but since I wasn't planning on moving, I'm just not prepared for it, logistically. I'm hoping I can sell NU on the fact that their school is so sooperawesome that a mere email from them convinced me to rearrange my life...I just need a little longer to do it. :|

Thanks for the info.

I think you have a reasonable case. Especially if you include how being accepted to NU changed your plans. I wouldn't dawdle too much on this, I'd wager they're more flexible when they are given more time to plan and fill your slot in the incoming class.

jsong10

Postby jsong10 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:22 am

If you potentially get $ from Northwestern, does the school allow you to defer the $ for a year? Does anyone have experience with this?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:12 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I think you have a reasonable case. Especially if you include how being accepted to NU changed your plans. I wouldn't dawdle too much on this, I'd wager they're more flexible when they are given more time to plan and fill your slot in the incoming class.

I emailed the admissions office and got this re: deferrals and seat deposits. No helpful info on what makes a reasonable excuse for a deferral.

Thank you for your interest in Northwestern Law. We do offer 1 year
deferrals only and this is on a case-by-case situation decided by Dean
Johann Lee. However, you would have to submit a seat deposit before your
deferral request could be considered.

That being said, if you would secure a deferral, you are still more than
welcome to attend Admitted Student Weekend.

I have to pay my seat deposit before requesting the deferral?!? So in my case, since I wouldn't attend if I didn't get the deferral, I'd be out the $750 if the deferral isn't granted. An expensive gamble.

And then I'd have to decide whether to submit a seat deposit to Lewis & Clark and attend this fall, or wait and apply to NU next year (and pay seat deposits all over again).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:18 am

Who went craziest in celebration/depression last night?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:50 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Who went craziest in celebration/depression last night?

Everyone was at or above median, so there was no depression. I didn't go out because of being sick. Btw, I would really like it if you attended NU.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:40 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Everyone was at or above median, so there was no depression. I didn't go out because of being sick. Btw, I would really like it if you attended NU.
If everyone at NU is at or above median, I am totally coming to NU.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Bumi wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I was referring to tls NU kids. Good call on my poor word choice.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:44 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bumi wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I was referring to tls NU kids. Good call on my poor word choice.
If I choose to confuse causation and correlation, this isn't necessarily worse. If everyone who posts on tls and goes to NU is at or above median, I am totally coming to NU.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Bumi wrote:If I choose to confuse causation and correlation, this isn't necessarily worse. If everyone who posts on tls and goes to NU is at or above median, I am totally coming to NU.

Come to NU because we'll get you drunk and not steal your shit. That's our motto: "NU, get drunk AND keep your shit."

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:27 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bumi wrote:If I choose to confuse causation and correlation, this isn't necessarily worse. If everyone who posts on tls and goes to NU is at or above median, I am totally coming to NU.

Come to NU because we'll get you drunk and not steal your shit. That's our motto: "NU, get drunk AND keep your shit."

Anyone know that latin on this?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

According to google translator, "NU, ebrius shit habeas."

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

According to google translator, "NU, ebrius shit habeas."

NU: ebrius habeas excrementa

I want that on a nice purple sweatshirt to proudly wear home from ASW and show the family.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”