Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Samara

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Samara » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:14 pm

Does everybody think Land Use is here to stay? This past spring was the first offering since 2010 and it had a 15-person waitlist. I'm hearing a lot of interest in it for this fall as well.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:33 pm

For bidding classes: is everyone allotted the same amount of points or can you "earn" extras?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:51 pm

KremeCheez wrote:For bidding classes: is everyone allotted the same amount of points or can you "earn" extras?

Everyone in the same class is given the same number of points. IDK how you would "Earn" extras lol...good behavior? Fellating the academic advisors? :lol:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Samara wrote:Does everybody think Land Use is here to stay? This past spring was the first offering since 2010 and it had a 15-person waitlist. I'm hearing a lot of interest in it for this fall as well.

Shoked was new last year, and before him Land Use was apparently taught by Novak, whoever that is. So maybe that dude left and Shoked is the new Land Use guy.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:17 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:Does everybody think Land Use is here to stay? This past spring was the first offering since 2010 and it had a 15-person waitlist. I'm hearing a lot of interest in it for this fall as well.

Shoked was new last year, and before him Land Use was apparently taught by Novak, whoever that is. So maybe that dude left and Shoked is the new Land Use guy.

Ah okay. I'm probably good waiting on it then.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Unless it gets super popular. :P

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:18 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:For bidding classes: is everyone allotted the same amount of points or can you "earn" extras?

Everyone in the same class is given the same number of points. IDK how you would "Earn" extras lol...good behavior? Fellating the academic advisors? :lol:

Section wide bonus points for having certain 1L profs?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:32 pm

IAFG wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Section wide bonus points for having certain 1L profs?

I deserved those.

nucat

Postby nucat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Unless it gets super popular. :P

You could also write an email to the professor and ask if he knows if he'll be taking a sabbatical the following year. While professors typically won't definitively confirm or deny that classes will be offered because the administration has master control over the schedule, he'd likely know if he was up for a pre-tenure research leave or something similar.
Last edited by nucat on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:45 pm

How is Am Jurisprudence with Presser? It says "Registration Requirements: The course is open to international LLMs only. There are no particular requirements other than those to register." but I know people who have taken it before who aren't LLMs...is this just a special pre-req for the Fall?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:38 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:How is Am Jurisprudence with Presser? It says "Registration Requirements: The course is open to international LLMs only. There are no particular requirements other than those to register." but I know people who have taken it before who aren't LLMs...is this just a special pre-req for the Fall?

Are you maybe thinking of American Legal History, not American Jurisprudence? This one may be an LLM-only course.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:How is Am Jurisprudence with Presser? It says "Registration Requirements: The course is open to international LLMs only. There are no particular requirements other than those to register." but I know people who have taken it before who aren't LLMs...is this just a special pre-req for the Fall?

Are you maybe thinking of American Legal History, not American Jurisprudence? This one may be an LLM-only course.

Yeah, American Jurisprudence is only LLMs, American Legal History is a perspectives elective. There is also another class I think just called jurisprudence, but I don't think it' taught by Presser.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Thoughts on McGinnis and Antitrust?

Some people weighed in earlier about Horowich and Securities. I'm scared of that class. Who would be the other professor when it is offered again, and are they better?

Antitrust is an awesome subject and McGinnis teaches it well. If you're going to take it, take it with him. He's funny too!

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Icculus wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Yeah, American Jurisprudence is only LLMs, American Legal History is a perspectives elective. There is also another class I think just called jurisprudence, but I don't think it' taught by Presser.

Yeah, I think Jurisprudence was taught by D'Amato last semester.

@crumps: I highly recommend Presser in general, even if not for an LLM only class.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Kikero wrote:@crumps: I highly recommend Presser in general, even if not for an LLM only class.

And i will respectfully disagree and say he is one of the worst profs I've had and his exam is a joke.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:47 pm

hmlee wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:Thoughts on McGinnis and Antitrust?

Some people weighed in earlier about Horowich and Securities. I'm scared of that class. Who would be the other professor when it is offered again, and are they better?

Antitrust is an awesome subject and McGinnis teaches it well. If you're going to take it, take it with him. He's funny too!

Eh, I would have preferred someone who taught it as more of an antitrust class and less of an econ class. But in my time at NU no one else every taught it, so...

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Hoping someone who has taken one of these has some advice:

Medicine and the law, ferguson
Health care and organizations, sanders
Medical Innovations

Particularly the last one. Also, is curricular advising as useless as career services, or is it worth making an appointment?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:51 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Hoping someone who has taken one of these has some advice:

Medical Innovations

Particularly the last one. Also, is curricular advising as useless as career services, or is it worth making an appointment?

Medical Innovations is like a medical entrepreneurship class that has students from all different grad schools at NU. You have to apply for the class and it's a whole year thing. You're basically proposing a business plan for some medical device and the business, medical, engineering, and law students work to get it funded and created, i think. You can see the syllabus and stuff here: https://entrepreneur.northwestern.edu/n ... labus-home

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Medical Innovations

We have curricular advising? I don't see how it could possibly be useful beyond just repeating whats on http://www.law.northwestern.edu/registr ... arFAQ.html

Does anyone have experience taking classes in Evanston, or at Kellogg Chicago?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Medical Innovations

Medical Innovations is like a medical entrepreneurship class that has students from all different grad schools at NU. You have to apply for the class and it's a whole year thing. You're basically proposing a business plan for some medical device and the business, medical, engineering, and law students work to get it funded and created, i think. You can see the syllabus and stuff here: https://entrepreneur.northwestern.edu/n ... labus-home

Thanks! I talked to someone about it at the beginning of 1L and was super interested, but there's not a lot of info out there on it that I could find, so it definitely helps to know you actually need to apply for it (separately from bidding it, I assume?).

ETA: this link is super helpful! Thanks!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Kikero wrote:@crumps: I highly recommend Presser in general, even if not for an LLM only class.

And i will respectfully disagree and say he is one of the worst profs I've had and his exam is a joke.

I thought his lectures were very entertaining, esp given some of the material in Am. Legal Hist., but I think that class always ends up curved and the exam does not lend itself to any of the skills you learn in any other class.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:48 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I thought his lectures were very entertaining, esp given some of the material in Am. Legal Hist., but I think that class always ends up curved and the exam does not lend itself to any of the skills you learn in any other class.

Well it's his book so he's to blame for the material. And his book it pretty skewed toward his federalist/originalist bent. I also hated that he felt the need to name drop everyone he had met/knew that he taught about. Like I think he only taught about the Clinton impeachment so he could say he got to give his view on the impeachment clause and that he was on Geraldo Rivera SEVERAL TIMES (he made sure to bring this up in class).

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:05 pm

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Well it's his book so he's to blame for the material. And his book it pretty skewed toward his federalist/originalist bent. I also hated that he felt the need to name drop everyone he had met/knew that he taught about. Like I think he only taught about the Clinton impeachment so he could say he got to give his view on the impeachment clause and that he was on Geraldo Rivera SEVERAL TIMES (he made sure to bring this up in class).

typical liberal propaganda ;)

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:25 pm

We have curricular advising officially, although I have often sarcastically joked that we don't. There is great information that is useful to get that you can't get from websites, but I've learned to get it from other students and from profs who I trust.

I took Accounting at Kellogg in Weiboldt and it was fantastic. Just imagine: you are taking a class that starts in late September, your classmates are relatively normal people who are pleasant to talk to, you don't really have to prep much for class (you do have homework and reading, but it's less stressful because even if you are called on it's for very basic things you can get from the chapter summary), and although the exam was closed book, the amount of material i had to memorize was extremely small. And the book has colors and pictures! And there is a pizza party! I recommend it highly. Sorry to everyone who was planning on this already for driving up the bid price.

Taking a class in Evanston: I've heard this is a logistical nightmare and although I had plans to do it, I have abandoned them.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:48 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Does anyone have experience taking classes in Evanston, or at Kellogg Chicago?

Wieboldt classes are fine. PT-MBAs are are pretty relaxed about class since they work 9-5 and then come to Wieboldt from 6-9 a few nights a week. Homework is a bit of an adjustment from law school's exam/paper heavy grading method. Depending on your level of effort you might need to think about the fact that the grading is only A, B, or C so there is no grey area if you slack or struggle you will get a B (or possibly a C although those are not a big fraction of the class).

Evanston classes are similar but the students are full time and the classes are bit more competitive (particularly ACCT or FINC since those are "core" classes) Getting up there is a major hassle unless you live really far north of the law school.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”