Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nucat

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby nucat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:36 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Cool, thanks guys. I'm not terribly attached to Evidence, I just threw that on there to have something doctrinal.

Some of the CTEs for Antitrust say McGinnis assumes everyone has an economics background. True?

I don't entirely agree with this. The first class or two are a primer on everything econ you need to know to understand what is covered in class (plus a little) and were pitched at an introductory level. I had taken zero economics classes before AT, had no business background, and was comfortable, though I did spend a few days early in the semester reviewing those first two or so lectures.

All that said, he will expect you to master what he covers, and he will cold call regularly and thoroughly. So it is an intense class; go in with your eyes open to the fact that if you don't do the reading you might be uncomfortable, though he allowed people to pass. Could be tricky with a non-Chicago OCI schedule maybe?

If you decide the AT workload is okay with you, I think it would help more than you might expect with the others. With telecom because major recurring themes are structural regulation and competition. And with Copyright, one of the major schools of thought that professor covers is economic.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 am

Desert Fox wrote:I'd take evidence with Koehler during Spring if you don't mind doing it early on ThursFri so it's uncurved.

Didn't he switch to curving both sections with each other?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:59 am

Thoughts on any of these zillion classes I want to take? (obviously not all at once; I need to narrow):

Natural resources, Basra
Medicine and the law, ferguson
Health care and organizations, sanders
Land use, shoked
Structuring transactions: environmental law, berman
Environmental advocacy clinic

Also, does anyone know anyone who has done the medical innovations class? It seems awesome but I feel like I need to talk to someone who has done it.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Flips88 wrote:Um, all ethics sections are capped at 40. that's new, right?

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Samara wrote:Has anyone done the Entrepreneurship Clinic? Is it all its cracked up to be? From what I understand, I would need to spend a lot of bid points on BA this fall, then Entrepreneurship Law in the spring and then the clinic in 3L year.

I kind of on the fence as to whether I want to do it and deciding not to do it would free up some room in my schedule.

Yes, it takes tons of bid points, but Reed is awesome.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:37 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Thoughts on any of these zillion classes I want to take? (obviously not all at once; I need to narrow):

Natural resources, Basra
Medicine and the law, ferguson
Health care and organizations, sanders
Land use, shoked
Structuring transactions: environmental law, berman
Environmental advocacy clinic

Also, does anyone know anyone who has done the medical innovations class? It seems awesome but I feel like I need to talk to someone who has done it.

We loved Barsa for Property and I've heard his Natural Resources and Eviro Law classes are good. He's super nice in a slightly dorky way and is very engaged/engaging.

I really wanted to do the Enviro Clinic, but it conflicts with the Telecomm class with Speta and I really want to take a (non-business) class with Speta. So maybe next year/term on the clinic. (Can you take a clinic for just spring term?)

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Barsa's environmental law class had one of the more ridiculous curves I've seen, and not in a good way.

That said, it's a pretty awesome class and he's great.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Barsa's environmental law class had one of the more ridiculous curves I've seen, and not in a good way.

This year it wasn't curved. Did you have it last year?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey guys, we have had a bunch of you guys already step up to offer the incoming 1Ls your outlines now that the class schedule has been released. FranklyScarlet recommended we make a google doc for everyone to post what profs they have outlines for, so here it is if you'd like to contribute:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmkwFy7TvUFAdDRpUEI2cExQV0J2VkdrdDlDZEdzQ1E&usp=sharing

For now just post your TLS username for the profs you've had and are willing to give outlines/advice for and then we can all spam you with PMs when sections get released. Or if you're into it you could provide a link to the outline you wish to share and leave it at that. Up to you.

thanks

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:21 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Cool, thanks guys. I'm not terribly attached to Evidence, I just threw that on there to have something doctrinal.

Some of the CTEs for Antitrust say McGinnis assumes everyone has an economics background. True?

ETA: wtf is "Reforming the law of evidence of Tanzania"??

He doesn't necessarily assume everyone has an econ background, but he teaches Antitrust basically as a lesson in what he thinks about Antitrust and why corporations are awesome, and talks about how antitrust laws shouldn't exist. He also spends a lot of time ranting about how the law needs to catch up to technology, and then makes you pick up a paper copy of the exam during exam center hours, because he doesn't trust computers.

It's...an interesting class. That said, I disagreed with him a lot and he was mostly okay with it, as long as I was able to back up what I was saying. I don't really know whether I would recommend it or not.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Barsa's environmental law class had one of the more ridiculous curves I've seen, and not in a good way.

jesus christ I run so bad with curved classes. Yeah, Spring '12.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

jesus christ I run so bad with curved classes. Yeah, Spring '12.

The worst part is he is way easier uncurved.

woodsjm

Postby woodsjm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm going to be that dick who doesn't spend enough time searching the previous posts...

For those in the know, what's your take on Northwestern's OCI placement in connection with the work experience many students have coming in. I was a paper pusher/server for the past two years and want to make sure the placement numbers they have are not severely skewed because of this. Linking to a place in the thread where this is discussed would be great as well!

Harbar1125

Postby Harbar1125 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Hello,

I am a rising 2L at Cardozo. I have 3.611 which puts me on Law Review and in top 10%. I currently have a half-tuition scholarship and I have been offered admission to Northwestern. I am from Chicago so the idea of coming back home is appealing. However, I do not know if I want to work in NY or Chi. I know that my goal is to do BigLaw, and probably in NYC. But I also know that if I stay I am limiting myself to that region, whereas, Northwestern would certainly open up my options. I am concerned with my career potential in NYC coming out of Northwestern vs. staying at Cardozo where I am in top 10%. Also, I do not know how much my student debt should play a factor. I already have significant debt, so losing my partial scholarship would hurt, but I just don't have much of a concept of how much it would hurt since I will be six figures in debt either way. Should I transfer? Please help!

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Might be because I'm a 3L, but the slate of non-clinic classes looks fucking awful this semester.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Harbar1125 wrote:Hello,

I am a rising 2L at Cardozo. I have 3.611 which puts me on Law Review and in top 10%. I currently have a half-tuition scholarship and I have been offered admission to Northwestern. I am from Chicago so the idea of coming back home is appealing. However, I do not know if I want to work in NY or Chi. I know that my goal is to do BigLaw, and probably in NYC. But I also know that if I stay I am limiting myself to that region, whereas, Northwestern would certainly open up my options. I am concerned with my career potential in NYC coming out of Northwestern vs. staying at Cardozo where I am in top 10%. Also, I do not know how much my student debt should play a factor. I already have significant debt, so losing my partial scholarship would hurt, but I just don't have much of a concept of how much it would hurt since I will be six figures in debt either way. Should I transfer? Please help!

tons of NU kids work in NYC biglaw

yolo it up baby

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

He doesn't necessarily assume everyone has an econ background, but he teaches Antitrust basically as a lesson in what he thinks about Antitrust and why corporations are awesome, and talks about how antitrust laws shouldn't exist. He also spends a lot of time ranting about how the law needs to catch up to technology, and then makes you pick up a paper copy of the exam during exam center hours, because he doesn't trust computers.

It's...an interesting class. That said, I disagreed with him a lot and he was mostly okay with it, as long as I was able to back up what I was saying. I don't really know whether I would recommend it or not.

I'll disagree with you slightly on some of this. He doesn't necessarily think corporations are inherently good or bad, he just thinks that antitrust law should reflect current economic theory rather than small business protectionism.

He gives a pretty standard issue spotter exam with one policy question (just like his con law class if you had him) and does cold call a lot in class. All in all, if you have a basic understanding of economic efficiency, you can do pretty well in the class because he believes the doctrine of antitrust is: if productive efficiencies > allocative efficiencies, then the activity is legal (He explains productive and allocative efficiencies in the first class).

Also, he seems to enjoy teaching this class more than con law which makes it a bit more fun.

nucat

Postby nucat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:51 pm

D-hops wrote:
Also, he seems to enjoy teaching this class more than con law which makes it a bit more fun.

OMG I had forgotten about the day he did a dramatic reading, complete with voices. Love.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 pm

whats CTE stand for?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Cobretti wrote:

whats CTE stand for?

They're evaluations that students do about a prof/class on the last day of classes.

elizcbeth

Postby elizcbeth » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Has anyone taken the Medical Innovations class? I really want to know if I should take it 2L or 3L. This class is almost why I chose NU and I'm worried it won't be offered next year. But one of the instructors this year is apparently the Dean's wife... not sure I support the nepotism here...

Also, Shoked is AMAZING. I flipped through some of the assigned readings last semester and it seemed pretty theoretical rather than law-based.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:11 pm

D-hops wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

I'll disagree with you slightly on some of this. He doesn't necessarily think corporations are inherently good or bad, he just thinks that antitrust law should reflect current economic theory rather than small business protectionism.

He gives a pretty standard issue spotter exam with one policy question (just like his con law class if you had him) and does cold call a lot in class. All in all, if you have a basic understanding of economic efficiency, you can do pretty well in the class because he believes the doctrine of antitrust is: if productive efficiencies > allocative efficiencies, then the activity is legal (He explains productive and allocative efficiencies in the first class).

Hmm. Well, I know fuck-all about economic efficiency (or any economics, really), and I will HOPEFULLY have to fly to the west coast for interviews at some point, so maybe Antitrust isn't the best option.

Is Hughes' Evidence class really so inferior to the other prof's?

What about:
Fed Tax (Dharmapala)
Admin (Fischman)
Clinic: Human Rights Advocacy (Babcock)
Clinic: Pre Trial Representation (Geraghty/Nong)
Clinic: Juvenile Justice Criminal Trials (Geraghty)
Clinic: Wrongful Convictions (Daniel/Raley)
Clinic: Juv Justice (Frazier/Mahadev/Biehl/Flaum)
Clinic: CIHR (Arimond)
Clinic: Federal Crim Appellate (Schrup)

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:26 pm

elizcbeth wrote:Has anyone taken the Medical Innovations class? I really want to know if I should take it 2L or 3L. This class is almost why I chose NU and I'm worried it won't be offered next year.

Exactly the same here!

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Cobretti wrote:Hey guys, we have had a bunch of you guys already step up to offer the incoming 1Ls your outlines now that the class schedule has been released. FranklyScarlet recommended we make a google doc for everyone to post what profs they have outlines for, so here it is if you'd like to contribute:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmkwFy7TvUFAdDRpUEI2cExQV0J2VkdrdDlDZEdzQ1E&usp=sharing

For now just post your TLS username for the profs you've had and are willing to give outlines/advice for and then we can all spam you with PMs when sections get released. Or if you're into it you could provide a link to the outline you wish to share and leave it at that. Up to you.

thanks

not that i doubt the power of TLS to deliver. but a better idea is to join every 'affinity' group you can and get access to their outline banks. (think apalsa, balsa, wlc etc., and then find a friend who is a jd-mba cause they have a solid outline bank as well)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:41 pm

splitsplat wrote:
Cobretti wrote:Hey guys, we have had a bunch of you guys already step up to offer the incoming 1Ls your outlines now that the class schedule has been released. FranklyScarlet recommended we make a google doc for everyone to post what profs they have outlines for, so here it is if you'd like to contribute:

thanks

not that i doubt the power of TLS to deliver. but a better idea is to join every 'affinity' group you can and get access to their outline banks. (think apalsa, balsa, wlc etc., and then find a friend who is a jd-mba cause they have a solid outline bank as well)

This is effective for finding TONS of outlines but not great for knowing which ones are reliable. I did this 2nd semester for some of my classes and was overwhelmed having to go through like 6-7 outlines for every class. It can sometimes be easier just finding 1 or 2 upperclassmen you trust who you know did well with the Profs you have and asking them for their outlines (plus tips on how they studied).

Although, everyone has a diff method for studying. Having tons of outlines might help you discover what outline style works best for you.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 pm

I think it's easier with smaller groups, because you can vet the outlines based on who made them. I didn't find the big group banks, like WLC, that useful, but my smaller activities reaped many an amazing outline.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”