Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Flips88 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Does this journal process seriously take weeks? Dying here.

Dug through my email. Cliff sent out the "calls are about to go out" email on July 10th. He sent the complete journal announcement email on July 31st.

Inefficiency—The Northwestern Difference (TM)

Journal is shit. Cherish what little time you have left.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Flips88 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Does this journal process seriously take weeks? Dying here.

Dug through my email. Cliff sent out the "calls are about to go out" email on July 10th. He sent the complete journal announcement email on July 31st.

I saw that, but I'm never sure if Cliff is telling the truth. That's why his sweatervests are so big. They're full of secrets.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Oh this for sure. In a couple months, you're all gonna be:

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:57 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

patience is not a skill of mine. I need to know what flavor of shit I'm going to be swimming in.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Fyi jtip doesn't give strikes for shit work if it's on time.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Oh this for sure. In a couple months, you're all gonna be:

If our class is any indication 1 or 2 of you will be smart/ballsy enough to bail on it just after OCI and before you sign the commitment thing. The rest of you will secretly admire while publicly loathing those lucky few.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Fyi jtip doesn't give strikes for shit work if it's on time.

This is mostly true. I was threatened with a strike this past year for not properly entering info into the source and cite spreadsheet that isn't really used for anything. However, that strike was never implemented.

As for timing, it will take three weeks because each journal has to wait for the previous journal to make its calls. It goes NULR, JCLC, JILB, JLSP, JTIP, JIHR (I think, the last two may be flipped). And it takes a few weeks to get through to everyone and get everyone to accept.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:29 pm

homestyle28 wrote:If our class is any indication 1 or 2 of you will be smart/ballsy enough to bail on it just after OCI and before you sign the commitment thing. The rest of you will secretly admire while publicly loathing those lucky few.

You can do that? :shock: Time to fire up the ole balls tracker.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 pm

if you had to quantify the workload from law review, what would it be in credits? is it like taking another legal writing class w/o credit?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Cobretti wrote:if you had to quantify the workload from law review, what would it be in credits? is it like taking another legal writing class w/o credit?

I was going to write out all the shit, but it's a lot of stuff. Probably the equivalent of 2-3 credits of class.
Last edited by Flips88 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnalum

Postby Magnalum » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:48 am

Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:51 am

Magnalum wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:if you had to quantify the workload from law review, what would it be in credits? is it like taking another legal writing class w/o credit?

I was going to write out all the shit, but it's a lot of stuff. Probably the equivalent of 2-3 credits of class.

Are the other journals a similar time commitment? How much do secondary journals help with getting a job?

I've heard JCLC is a big time sink, but the others are not that bad. Not sure how much they help with jerbs.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:18 am

You should probably suck it up and do a secondary if you don't have any other sort of extracurricular, and I'm talking trial team, competition moot court, etc. If you have one of those, then there's much less of a risk involved in telling journal to kiss your ass.

And yeah, don't do JCLC. Massive time commitment with no real increase in job prospects vs. JTIP, JILB, etc.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:08 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:You should probably suck it up and do a secondary if you don't have any other sort of extracurricular, and I'm talking trial team, competition moot court, etc. If you have one of those, then there's much less of a risk involved in telling journal to kiss your ass.

And yeah, don't do JCLC. Massive time commitment with no real increase in job prospects vs. JTIP, JILB, etc.

One, probably frustrating caveat, I did have 1 employer at OCI ask why I chose my 2ndry and not JCLC because in his opinion JCLC was better than the one I was on.

But the general point that you need a good reason/explanation not to do journal is true, b/c let's face it, otherwise you're just telling a potential employer you don't like work.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:49 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:You should probably suck it up and do a secondary if you don't have any other sort of extracurricular, and I'm talking trial team, competition moot court, etc. If you have one of those, then there's much less of a risk involved in telling journal to kiss your ass.

One, probably frustrating caveat, I did have 1 employer at OCI ask why I chose my 2ndry and not JCLC because in his opinion JCLC was better than the one I was on.

But the general point that you need a good reason/explanation not to do journal is true, b/c let's face it, otherwise you're just telling a potential employer you don't like work.

Somoene actually asked you this? Everyone I interviewed with basically saw it as NULR>>all other journals.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Icculus wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Somoene actually asked you this? Everyone I interviewed with basically saw it as NULR>>all other journals.

I assume the person acting did JCLC herself. They nearly uniformly have a bug up their ass about missing Law Review and think JCLC is better than the rest.

But from what I can tell, almost nobody who bids JCLC #2 doesn't get it.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I assume the person acting did JCLC herself. They nearly uniformly have a bug up their ass about missing Law Review and think JCLC is better than the rest.

Some of us did it because we're actually interested in crim law... :|

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I assume the person acting did JCLC herself. They nearly uniformly have a bug up their ass about missing Law Review and think JCLC is better than the rest.

You are only reason the word nearly was in my post. Everyone else seems to be top ten percent of the non ten percent material.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

You are only reason the word nearly was in my post. Everyone else seems to be top ten percent of the non ten percent material.

the smartest/hardest working 3L I knew was also on JCLC

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:04 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

I'm a 1L (rising 2L) but I feel like we are thinking about the same person, who is awesome

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:10 pm

splitsplat wrote:I'm a 1L (rising 2L) but I feel like we are thinking about the same person, who is awesome

huh? to hell with that guy, I was talking about myself! 8)

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:20 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:I'm a 1L (rising 2L) but I feel like we are thinking about the same person, who is awesome

huh? to hell with that guy, I was talking about myself! 8)

I bet he meant you

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:40 pm

I enjoyed Dean Rodriguez emailing us to update us on who is in charge of making the academic schedule with no indication of when the schedule will be out. The Northwestern Difference!

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:46 pm

splitsplat wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Some of us did it because we're actually interested in crim law... :|

I'm a 1L (rising 2L) but I feel like we are thinking about the same person, who is awesome

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”