Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Georgia Avenue

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:48 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:That's a major bummer. Follow-up question: is there a readily visible list that students can see as to whether a class is curved/uncurved (and if it is, whether the variance is big? ie "lots of As and Cs" v. "everyone gets a B+, two super-gunners get As, two unlucky slackers get Cs"), or is it all word of mouth? Regardless, I'm guessing there are flocks of students that fill up these uncurved classes super-quickly?

On a related note, do y'all think one should gun for these uncurved classes regardless of subject, or take a more interesting or relevant class to that student's long-term job preferences?

There was a list going around from fall/spring of '08, but I don't know of anything since.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:48 pm

bjsesq wrote:Lol. Got a D. D's get degrees, I guess. My shitty year ends in style.

out the professor please

I mean who the fuck gives a D

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:49 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:That's a major bummer. Follow-up question: is there a readily visible list that students can see as to whether a class is curved/uncurved (and if it is, whether the variance is big? ie "lots of As and Cs" v. "everyone gets a B+, two super-gunners get As, two unlucky slackers get Cs"), or is it all word of mouth? Regardless, I'm guessing there are flocks of students that fill up these uncurved classes super-quickly?

On a related note, do y'all think one should gun for these uncurved classes regardless of subject, or take a more interesting or relevant class to that student's long-term job preferences?

Last edited by Cobretti on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Lol. Got a D. D's get degrees, I guess. My shitty year ends in style.

out the professor please

PM if you want it. Not giving out that here.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Anyone have that list of OCI firms and their medians etc lying around?

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:51 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:

out the professor please

PM if you want it. Not giving out that here.

nah it's all good, I don't really care that much, just think giving out D's is a complete dick move. More for the 1L's.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:52 pm

I am a 3L. NU has my money and I have no job. Who gives a fuck anymore.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Should add that last spring was his first time teaching the class, so only ~20 people signed up and he handed out A+s like candy, so this semester it was full enrollment, which I don't think he was expecting.

I know a bunch of people who took it for that exact reason and it resulted in Horwich's class being uncurved (though my guess is H would curve anyway). And then my friends stayed because the prof promised he wouldn't curve it.

what I really wonder is if everyone in each group got the same grade, in a class that small, he couldn't do 5 A+s right?

Nope. I can confirm that grades differed within my individual group.

Seriously? I know that one of your group was a superstar in class, but didn't he tell us day 1 that class participation didn't matter? Unless that same dude threw you all under the bus in the "compensation" section. ;)

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:54 pm

bjsesq wrote:I am a 3L. NU has my money and I have no job. Who gives a fuck anymore.

at least you have those graduation awards, right?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:54 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I am a 3L. NU has my money and I have no job. Who gives a fuck anymore.

From a bunch of people who will never speak to me again. Yeah, life's swell.

glinda

Postby glinda » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:00 pm

basilseal wrote:Anyone have that list of OCI firms and their medians etc lying around?

Also looking for this.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:03 pm

uncurved is just any class with 40 or lower students.

How easy is a mix of word or mouth, and someone leaked a list of grades from 5 years (but it's missing a lot of new professors). The documents should be within the last 20 pages of this thread.

People differ on how much you take uncurved v. stuff you are interested in. I got lucky because the IP courses were always uncurved with very easy graders. I think you should at least do what really interests you, but mix in the drop dead easy uncurved classes. If you have a job, it matters less (maybe not at all).

If you are strategic, you can take most classes uncurved. I got admin and evidence uncurved. They weren't super easy graders, but it was still uncurved.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:04 pm

glinda wrote:
basilseal wrote:Anyone have that list of OCI firms and their medians etc lying around?

Also looking for this.

There will be an updated one posted to Symplicity soon. Might want to look at the OCI thread for more info. :P

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:uncurved is just any class with 40 or lower students.

How easy is a mix of word or mouth, and someone leaked a list of grades from 5 years (but it's missing a lot of new professors). The documents should be within the last 20 pages of this thread.

People differ on how much you take uncurved v. stuff you are interested in. I got lucky because the IP courses were always uncurved with very easy graders. I think you should at least do what really interests you, but mix in the drop dead easy uncurved classes. If you have a job, it matters less (maybe not at all).

If you are strategic, you can take most classes uncurved. I got admin and evidence uncurved. They weren't super easy graders, but it was still uncurved.

Yeah, even for the core classes like BA, M&A, Evidence, etc, it's not too difficult to find them uncurved. You just have to build your schedule around them because that particular semester may be your only chance.

Then you can also pepper in things like Advanced Legal Research, Negotiation, International Transactions, and other stuff that's total cake.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Samara wrote:
glinda wrote:

Also looking for this.

There will be an updated one posted to Symplicity soon. Might want to look at the OCI thread for more info. :P

Thread link? Cant find it (my grades indicate I'm a dumb, my thread finding abilities support them...)

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:21 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Samara wrote:
glinda wrote:

Also looking for this.

Thread link? Cant find it (my grades indicate I'm a dumb, my thread finding abilities support them...)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=210567

Don't feel bad, I don't think the search function picks it up.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Icculus wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:Sooo...who wants to break down what's going on with this curve/SecReg business to a clueless 0L like he's 5 years old? :|

Class had more than 40 people, requiring a forced curve.
Prof broke class into groups and gave a group final figuring he could then argue it was fewer than 40 and thus give everyone a good grade/gentleman's A-.
Admin said no dice, class is curved.

+ prof repeatedly said he wouldn't curve it, even up to the time the final was submitted.

That is the part that would infuriate me. Like, I am sure he knew he had to curve it. Like, did he expect some kind or miracle? A group final in a curved class is utter bull shit.

Last thing on this, but I think he legitimately thought it wouldn't be hard to get a class off the curve. It was pretty clear he didn't understand how the mandatory curve worked, not that it excuses him but I don't think he was actively trying to sell us bullshit the entire time.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:37 pm

The curve is somewhere on the website. It's not just a median number; it's also a min and max of each letter grade allowed by percentage of the class. Classes are curved if they're over 40 people (or are CLR which have like 25-30), and students can see the history of how many have been in the class in the past during the bidding/enrollment process.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Should add that last spring was his first time teaching the class, so only ~20 people signed up and he handed out A+s like candy, so this semester it was full enrollment, which I don't think he was expecting.

I know a bunch of people who took it for that exact reason and it resulted in Horwich's class being uncurved (though my guess is H would curve anyway). And then my friends stayed because the prof promised he wouldn't curve it.

To be fair, Horwich is one of the only professors where I would prefer a curve in their class.

I wouldn't. His exams are graded in such a way that a couple years ago people with A's (straight A not A-) and B+'s had the same raw score on the exam. Without the curve those would have been mostly A's.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:53 pm

D-hops wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
Icculus wrote:

To be fair, Horwich is one of the only professors where I would prefer a curve in their class.

I wouldn't. His exams are graded in such a way that a couple years ago people with A's (straight A not A-) and B+'s had the same raw score on the exam. Without the curve those would have been mostly A's.

And the GPA Data we have on him, doesn't show him minimizing the curve, just not maximizing it. I doubt any professor gives substantially lower grades than the minimum bound of the curve. Maybe they don't give as many A+'s but that's only relevant to summa/manga gunners.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:59 pm

I think a lot of the rumors of professors being harsh with the grading comes not from giving out a lot of B's and B-'s, but instead, giving out discretionary C's that really screw students. But the students getting a C probably deserved a B- really, whereas it's harder to tell whether an A- student getting a B is harsh grading or bad luck. Rumors about the former fly much faster.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:05 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:I think a lot of the rumors of professors being harsh with the grading comes not from giving out a lot of B's and B-'s, but instead, giving out discretionary C's that really screw students. But the students getting a C probably deserved a B- really, whereas it's harder to tell whether an A- student getting a B is harsh grading or bad luck. Rumors about the former fly much faster.

Rumors in general kind of suck. Way too many people say "that professor is easy" but what they really mean is "I got a good grade in that class." I only trust advice on easy grading form a slacker who gets mediocre grades.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Is there any chance of getting an updated grade distribution like the ones linked from 07-08? Or was that just a one time leak that we're lucky to have?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:10 pm

bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

From a bunch of people who will never speak to me again. Yeah, life's swell.

Miss you.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:13 pm

D-hops wrote:Any grads know when they announce the latin honors?

Now it's our turn to be neurotic, woo!

And yes, I would like to know this as well. I think last year it was relatively soon after grades came out?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”