Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
VulcanVulcanVulcan

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Someone want to call the registrar to determine when grades are coming?

MKX

Postby MKX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:42 pm

IAFG wrote:I don't understand why a K-JD would even want to come to NU. At OCI, do you want to be the only person on an interviewer's schedule with no WE?

I do have an in-house business law internship lined up for the future already. While it's not at a big firm or anything, it still is something I can fall back to if I don't get a better internship opportunity.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:43 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Someone want to call the registrar to determine when grades are coming?

NO, DO NOT WANT.

Although I do unfortunately know that grades were due from profs today. :?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:46 pm

MKX wrote:
IAFG wrote:I don't understand why a K-JD would even want to come to NU. At OCI, do you want to be the only person on an interviewer's schedule with no WE?

I do have an in-house business law internship lined up for the future already. While it's not at a big firm or anything, it still is something I can fall back to if I don't get a better internship opportunity.

If they don't offer, it's not really a fallback. If they do, congrats.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Someone want to call the registrar to determine when grades are coming?

NO, DO NOT WANT.

Although I do unfortunately know that grades were due from profs today. :?

Eh wouldn't mind getting it over with.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Thread RULE: No mentioning that grades are releasing until the email goes out that says they are all out. It's better to rip it off like a bandaid than get them one at a time for two hours.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:49 pm

[
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:52 pm

lgleye wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Thread RULE: No mentioning that grades are releasing until the email goes out that says they are all out. It's better to rip it off like a bandaid than get them one at a time for two hours.

I'm puzzled......... why are you 3L's sweating grades when you've already got offers for permanent positions? The way I see it, so long as you got that C-, you're outta here.

Don't make me kill you.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:08 pm

lgleye wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Thread RULE: No mentioning that grades are releasing until the email goes out that says they are all out. It's better to rip it off like a bandaid than get them one at a time for two hours.

I'm puzzled......... why are you 3L's sweating grades when you've already got offers for permanent positions? The way I see it, so long as you got that C-, you're outta here.

Well 1) not everyone has perm. offers.

2) Grades still matter somewhat for other stuff.

3) You still had to work for them, people care just because of that.

4) But I phoned it in 3L, but even then I'll sit there for two hours looking at grades as they come out. Sucks. I'd rather have them all at once.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:even then I'll sit there for two hours looking at grades as they come out. Sucks. I'd rather have them all at once.

Grades aren't released all at once? So TTT.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Samara wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:even then I'll sit there for two hours looking at grades as they come out. Sucks. I'd rather have them all at once.

Some schools post invididual grades as they come in. At least NU comes out all in one batch.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Samara wrote:

Some schools post invididual grades as they come in. At least NU comes out all in one batch.

Mine didn't come out all at once last term.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:34 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Samara wrote:

Mine didn't come out all at once last term.

Within 2 hours, unless there is an issue.

Fabulist

Postby Fabulist » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 pm

MKX wrote:Ah. I've been a manager for the past 3 years but its been part time. 25-35 hour weeks. Unfortunate.

I wouldn't worry that much. If you've been managing 30h a week for 3y, especially with the D-Rod regime, I doubt that it will be a dealbreaker. Just a WAG on my part, but I would definitely not let WE keep you from applying. Just be sure to explain what you learned / how you matured in the interview, and don't just call it "part time" on your resume, imo.

tcliff

Postby tcliff » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:13 pm

What's the general opinion on Noble Square/East Village/Ukrainian Village? I know some people have mentioned it, but any opinions from anyone who actually lives there? It seems like the commute would be easy if you were anywhere close to Chicago Ave, and it looks like there are some good deals to be had. It sounds like it has a bit more sketchiness than Lincoln Park and Lakeview, but does anyone know people who had bad experiences in the areas?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:27 am

I know two law students that were mugged at gunpoint during this past year, one was in wicker park and the other ukranian village...

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:31 am

lgleye is one of my favorite train wrecks on this site.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 am

We need to have another round of Lawyer as a Problem Solver to ease the pain.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:17 pm

RE: Samara's post about OCI attendees being released in the legal employment board... will this be posted publicly?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Cobretti wrote:RE: Samara's post about OCI attendees being released in the legal employment board... will this be posted publicly?

If you are just looking for general info, check NALP. This changes year to year, so the specific list isn't very important.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Cobretti wrote:RE: Samara's post about OCI attendees being released in the legal employment board... will this be posted publicly?

If you are just looking for general info, check NALP. This changes year to year, so the specific list isn't very important.

you mean the directory, or is there somewhere on NALP where i can see who historically has showed up to OCI at NU?

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

you mean the directory, or is there somewhere on NALP where i can see who historically has showed up to OCI at NU?

I just tried it and only a couple firms showed up on NALP as recruiting at NU. The Vault list is a pretty good place to start. I think everybody in the V50 and the Chicago V25 comes save WLRK (for at least one office) and most everybody in the V100. I would have to look, but I imagine most every firm with a major practice area Chambers ranking for their Chicago office comes as well.

That's a good place to start for curious 0Ls.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Any advice on relevant columns to put in a pre-oci research spreadsheet (other than, you know, firm name and location). I'm going full lgleye, but I'm hoping my lack of superfluous ellipses makes it less gunnery. Mostly, I just love spreadsheets and want to feel productive.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Any advice on relevant columns to put in a pre-oci research spreadsheet (other than, you know, firm name and location). I'm going full lgleye, but I'm hoping my lack of superfluous ellipses makes it less gunnery. Mostly, I just love spreadsheets and want to feel productive.

I have: practice areas of interest; largest/highest-ranked practice areas; hiring partner; any connections I have; Northwestern alumni (from that OCS list); size of summer class; starting salary; 2011 median callback GPA; 2011 low callback GPA; and 09-10 median callback GPA.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 am

tcliff wrote:What's the general opinion on Noble Square/East Village/Ukrainian Village? I know some people have mentioned it, but any opinions from anyone who actually lives there? It seems like the commute would be easy if you were anywhere close to Chicago Ave, and it looks like there are some good deals to be had. It sounds like it has a bit more sketchiness than Lincoln Park and Lakeview, but does anyone know people who had bad experiences in the areas?

I have lived in both, loved both, and even as a young, small, early 20s girl, I never felt unsafe

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”