Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cobretti

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:39 am

MKX wrote:I know this might not be the best place to ask, but I'm not sure where to really ask...

Right now I have a 3.4 GPA, and will be taking the LSAT in 9 days.... so obviously my score will go a long way in this, but lets say I were to score 165-169 and just miss that 170, what are my chances at NW?

I have work experience, been working since I was 16 and never had a break, but nothing in law (yet). I may be getting a job a law related job soon but it is not guarantee. I read somewhere that NW loves work experience, and not sure where I read this but it said that management positions help you a lot as well since they want to see that you can be responsible for yourself and others. Luckily I have 3 years of management experience.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this type of question, just ignore if it is. The stress of the LSAT coming up is probably getting to me and I just had to ask this.

NU does love WE, but with your GPA that significantly below median you're probably going to need to hit 170. Being below both medians is a dangerous place. GL though, just treat it like any old PT, and remember you can retake in Oct so its not the end of the world if you have a bad day.

MKX

Postby MKX » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:42 am

Cobretti wrote:NU does love WE, but with your GPA that significantly below median you're probably going to need to hit 170. Being below both medians is a dangerous place. GL though, just treat it like any old PT, and remember you can retake in Oct so its not the end of the world if you have a bad day.

While a retake has been my back up plan I hope to nail it the first time. I really want that 170 or higher. Taking October wouldn't be too late in the game? Thanks for the help.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:46 am

MKX wrote:
Cobretti wrote:NU does love WE, but with your GPA that significantly below median you're probably going to need to hit 170. Being below both medians is a dangerous place. GL though, just treat it like any old PT, and remember you can retake in Oct so its not the end of the world if you have a bad day.

While a retake has been my back up plan I hope to nail it the first time. I really want that 170 or higher. Taking October wouldn't be too late in the game? Thanks for the help.

Oct isn't too late in the game at all. I sat Oct last year, didn't hit my target so I took again in Dec and applied with that score, and got in. Applying with an Oct score is no different from applying on Day 1. Seriously just treat it like a PT, GL

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:08 am

MKX wrote:I know this might not be the best place to ask, but I'm not sure where to really ask...

Right now I have a 3.4 GPA, and will be taking the LSAT in 9 days.... so obviously my score will go a long way in this, but lets say I were to score 165-169 and just miss that 170, what are my chances at NW?

I have work experience, been working since I was 16 and never had a break, but nothing in law (yet). I may be getting a job a law related job soon but it is not guarantee. I read somewhere that NW loves work experience, and not sure where I read this but it said that management positions help you a lot as well since they want to see that you can be responsible for yourself and others. Luckily I have 3 years of management experience.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this type of question, just ignore if it is. The stress of the LSAT coming up is probably getting to me and I just had to ask this.

1. Not zero, but not great. http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213
2. Northwestern likes post-undergrad work experience. It doesn't matter so much for admission whether it was management experience (although mgmt might be helpful come job-hunting time).
3. It's NU, not NW. :P

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:18 am

Zero. 170 or bust.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:48 am

MKX wrote:

Even December wouldn't be too late. My advice: take the LSAT as many times as necessary until you get the score you want, do not settle. As a recent graduate, it is pretty easy to see in hindsight how much every point on the LSAT is potentially worth. Not retaking it for reasons like, "Oh but I really want to apply THIS cycle!" or "Ugh, I don't feel like studying for a third time..." is just plain stupid.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:12 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Zero. 170 or bust.

I hope you appreciate how hilarious this post is.

MKX

Postby MKX » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:04 am

Thank you everyone for the advice. Hope to nail the 170+ the first time but I'll retake if I have to.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Can anyone speak to living further away from campus? Convenience issues? Bang for your buck?

I'm much more attracted to the brick single family home with a yard on a tree-lined street than to the modern Streeterville/Gold Coast high-rise studio.

I've been poking around on Craigslist/Domu/Padmapper for places in the Dunning/Portage Park/Jefferson Park/Mayfair area and the Rogers Park/Edgewater area, but they seem to be in short supply. Maybe there is a different/better resource for private rental properties?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:13 pm

KremeCheez wrote:Can anyone speak to living further away from campus? Convenience issues? Bang for your buck?

I'm much more attracted to the brick single family home with a yard on a tree-lined street than to the modern Streeterville/Gold Coast high-rise studio.

I've been poking around on Craigslist/Domu/Padmapper for places in the Dunning/Portage Park/Jefferson Park/Mayfair area and the Rogers Park/Edgewater area, but they seem to be in short supply. Maybe there is a different/better resource for private rental properties?

I live out in the burbs and there are obvious tradeoffs. I have about an hour commute all by L trains. I lived out here because I have a family and couldn't imagine putting a kid in a 2 bedroom in Streeterville. The break from campus was nice at times, but I certainly missed out on some things because of it. There are folks who live in the far burbs and take metra in, but I'd say Lakeview and Evanston are more common. Feel free to pm me for more specific info.

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:11 am

Hey guys, sick of housing questions yet? I hope not 8)

I'll be flying in on July 5 for a few days to look at apartments and hopefully sign a lease. I'm looking for a studio or 1br for under $1100/mo and with a reasonable commute time to campus. A few questions:

1. My plan is pretty much just to find some places on domu/padmapper/craigslist right before I fly out and schedule visits, then look for "for rent" signs near red line stops when I get there. Sound reasonable?

2. I'm mostly looking in Lakeview and Lincoln Park so far - anything closer to campus seems out of my price range, and I'm not sure what areas further away will still have reasonable commute times. Any other neighborhoods I should consider?

3. I've heard mixed things about living in certain areas of Lakeview and Lincoln Park (Wrigleyville and the area right around DePaul come to mind). Are there specific areas I should be sure to avoid, or understand what I'd be getting myself into? I'm not super picky about location, but not getting shot is a big plus and relative peace and quiet at night is always nice.

4. As for public transit to campus - my understanding is that the red line is quickest if you're not really far from campus, the El isn't too bad but takes longer than the bus for short trips, and the brown line is okay but dumps me off a bit further from campus unless I switch to the red line along the way. Is that about right? I've been looking almost exclusively at places within a couple blocks of a red line stop so far.

Or, if you want to ignore my wall of text and just give general advice for someone looking for a reasonably priced studio/1br, that's fine too. :wink:

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:07 am

Solistus wrote:Hey guys, sick of housing questions yet? I hope not 8)

I'll be flying in on July 5 for a few days to look at apartments and hopefully sign a lease. I'm looking for a studio or 1br for under $1100/mo and with a reasonable commute time to campus. A few questions:

1. My plan is pretty much just to find some places on domu/padmapper/craigslist right before I fly out and schedule visits, then look for "for rent" signs near red line stops when I get there. Sound reasonable?

2. I'm mostly looking in Lakeview and Lincoln Park so far - anything closer to campus seems out of my price range, and I'm not sure what areas further away will still have reasonable commute times. Any other neighborhoods I should consider?

3. I've heard mixed things about living in certain areas of Lakeview and Lincoln Park (Wrigleyville and the area right around DePaul come to mind). Are there specific areas I should be sure to avoid, or understand what I'd be getting myself into? I'm not super picky about location, but not getting shot is a big plus and relative peace and quiet at night is always nice.

4. As for public transit to campus - my understanding is that the red line is quickest if you're not really far from campus, the El isn't too bad but takes longer than the bus for short trips, and the brown line is okay but dumps me off a bit further from campus unless I switch to the red line along the way. Is that about right? I've been looking almost exclusively at places within a couple blocks of a red line stop so far.

Or, if you want to ignore my wall of text and just give general advice for someone looking for a reasonably priced studio/1br, that's fine too. :wink:

I would suggest you make an appointment with one of the free apartment finder businesses here. They'll set up showings for you and drive you around from each one. It saves a lot of time and hassle. I did it for 1L housing and like you did it on 4th of July weekend.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:39 am

So where are we supposed to find this OCI list today?

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:50 pm

[
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:59 pm

[
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKX

Postby MKX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Still not pting the score I want. I get 0 wrong on lgs and only a 2-3 on rc, but LR kills me. Strongly considering postponing til October. Would this hurt my chances if I applied in late October early November? Or should I go in there next week, hope I fix my lr mistakes in 6 days, see my score and then if not good enough retake in October? Not sure what the best method for NU would be.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:00 pm

MKX wrote:Still not pting the score I want. I get 0 wrong on lgs and only a 2-3 on rc, but LR kills me. Strongly considering postponing til October. Would this hurt my chances if I applied in late October early November? Or should I go in there next week, hope I fix my lr mistakes in 6 days, see my score and then if not good enough retake in October? Not sure what the best method for NU would be.

traehekat wrote:
MKX wrote:

Even December wouldn't be too late. My advice: take the LSAT as many times as necessary until you get the score you want, do not settle. As a recent graduate, it is pretty easy to see in hindsight how much every point on the LSAT is potentially worth. Not retaking it for reasons like, "Oh but I really want to apply THIS cycle!" or "Ugh, I don't feel like studying for a third time..." is just plain stupid.

Oct is definitely TCR

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Glad I could help lgleye! I believe they should be up on symplicity.

MKX : I took the LSAT in October top. Just make sure the rest of your app is ready and turn in your app the Monday after score release (what I did). My decision to retake in October was a huge boost for me, so I think it's definitely worth it and doesn't significantly hurt your app.

onionz

Postby onionz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:18 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Glad I could help lgleye! I believe they should be up on symplicity.

MKX : I took the LSAT in October top. Just make sure the rest of your app is ready and turn in your app the Monday after score release (what I did). My decision to retake in October was a huge boost for me, so I think it's definitely worth it and doesn't significantly hurt your app.

+1

MKX

Postby MKX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Reading up on the NU application process. Is a year of post grad WE required to get in? Seems like they much rather prefer you have it. I'm still in UG and was hoping to get in immediately. With a 3.4 and possibly a 170+ on October lsat would they turn me away for a year?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

MKX wrote:Reading up on the NU application process. Is a year of post grad WE required to get in? Seems like they much rather prefer you have it. I'm still in UG and was hoping to get in immediately. With a 3.4 and possibly a 170+ on October lsat would they turn me away for a year?

About 90% of the class has atleast one yr of FT WE. Being k-jd isn't necessarily a deal breaker but it will be working against you.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:20 pm

With lowered app turnout, there has been a (albeit like 2 year) trend of lowering the standards for WE. If you have really good stats they will probs offer a full scholly deferral though. You're only JUUUST under ED-full-scholly numbers (3.6/17X) so I would say you'll be okay, as long as you have leadership experience from college to talk about.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:23 pm

I don't understand why a K-JD would even want to come to NU. At OCI, do you want to be the only person on an interviewer's schedule with no WE?

MKX

Postby MKX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:27 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:With lowered app turnout, there has been a (albeit like 2 year) trend of lowering the standards for WE. If you have really good stats they will probs offer a full scholly deferral though. You're only JUUUST under ED-full-scholly numbers (3.6/17X) so I would say you'll be okay, as long as you have leadership experience from college to talk about.

Ah. I've been a manager for the past 3 years but its been part time. 25-35 hour weeks. Unfortunate.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:29 pm

IAFG wrote:I don't understand why a K-JD would even want to come to NU. At OCI, do you want to be the only person on an interviewer's schedule with no WE?

This. I transferred to NU as a K-JD and I felt like being immediately compared to other students with plenty of work experience during OCI was a big hurdle whereas it probably wouldn't have been much of a factor interviewing with even the same firms as a transfer at say Michigan. Given that 95% of your academic effort in law school is probably going to be devoted to 1L and OCI, a lack of work experience should probably be a significant consideration before matriculating at NU.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”