Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dstars823

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby dstars823 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:12 pm

whats the chances of getting parking if you were to say live in lakeview?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu May 30, 2013 4:23 pm

dstars823 wrote:whats the chances of getting parking if you were to say live in lakeview?

Parking in east lakeview is horrendous and I would never recommend moving there with a car unless you were willing to pay for a spot. That said, parking there is way less expensive than Streeterville. Parts of west lakeview are totally fine, but not until you get closer to Ashland/North Center. Parking in Lincoln Park can also be a bitch, but is slightly more manageable if you pay the city for permits--the permitted streets usually have some availability.

In my experience, parts of West Town/Ukranian Village and west Lakeview are the easiest places to live and not pay to park, although I'm sure that it can vary based on specific streets and whatnot. And I'm sure there are other neighborhoods where it's not that bad, these are just the ones I know.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu May 30, 2013 6:18 pm

dstars823 wrote:do you guys have any insight on what is the best place to live around the law school, id prefer not to break the bank but id more prefer not to get shot

I live in Lakeview and love it. Much cheaper and more interesting. Live on the east side and you can get to campus in 20 mins on the express bus. Lincoln Park is also good and I've heard good things about Old Town, Ukranian Village and others.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Wicker Park is also cool if hipsters are your kind of thing.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu May 30, 2013 8:32 pm

traehekat wrote:Wicker Park is also cool if hipsters are your kind of thing.

Getting to school from Wicker Park is a bitch, though. Otherwise I would move there to be with my people.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu May 30, 2013 8:48 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

Getting to school from Wicker Park is a bitch, though. Otherwise I would move there to be with my people.

The part of WP off Division would be super easy to get to school from - just walk to the 66. Although West Town is just a few blocks away from there and still has cheaper rent.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu May 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

The part of WP off Division would be super easy to get to school from - just walk to the 66. Although West Town is just a few blocks away from there and still has cheaper rent.

true. Though if I'm picturing WP right in my head, that's a ways away from all the stuff I'd want to live by (could be wrong though, my mental map is all kinds of wonky. I'm directions dumb).

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

That's at least a 1/2 mile walk + bus wait + bus going down chicago. None of that on it's own is a problem but combined, and we are talking about 40. Google maps is saying 35 with no bus waiting.

I think west town would be better, then walking to wicker park for going out.

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Cobretti wrote:What is everyone's thoughts on Roger's Park? Obviously the commute would suck, but aside from that? Prices seem really reasonable, and i seem to be finding way more places up there that don't have weight restrictions for dogs than in LP/LV.

Good thing your dog is scary looking, b/c the RoPo is one of those neighborhoods where getting shanked is a possibility.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 pm

PBateman1 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:What is everyone's thoughts on Roger's Park? Obviously the commute would suck, but aside from that? Prices seem really reasonable, and i seem to be finding way more places up there that don't have weight restrictions for dogs than in LP/LV.

Good thing your dog is scary looking, b/c the RoPo is one of those neighborhoods where getting shanked is a possibility.

Seriously? I thought everything north was safe

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 pm

While Rogers Park isn't as safe as Gold Coast, it's still pretty safe. My eldery great aunt and uncle lived there for 40 years.
Last edited by 09042014 on Fri May 31, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 31, 2013 2:51 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

true. Though if I'm picturing WP right in my head, that's a ways away from all the stuff I'd want to live by (could be wrong though, my mental map is all kinds of wonky. I'm directions dumb).

If you walk up to Milwaukee, everything is very close.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri May 31, 2013 7:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:While Rogers Park isn't as safe as Gold Coast, it's still pretty safe. My eldery great grandparents lived there for 40 years.

It's a little run down, but I would hardly call it dangerous.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 31, 2013 3:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:While Rogers Park isn't as safe as Gold Coast, it's still pretty safe. My eldery great aunt and uncle lived there for 40 years.

Rogers Park is fine. Humboldt and Garfield are not. It's weird how neighborhoods are intermittently dangerous in Chicago sometimes. Like Uptown: parts of it are fine, and parts (think off the Russell red line) are NOT fine. It's weird.

thefuturenow

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challengesh

Postby thefuturenow » Fri May 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Is it possible that this thread has become too long to be helpful? I mean on which page do I find all the details on why DRoD is a douche.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri May 31, 2013 4:00 pm

thefuturenow wrote:Is it possible that this thread has become too long to be helpful? I mean on which page do I find all the details on why DRoD is a douche.

Bout every other page, or thereabouts.

thefuturenow

Postby thefuturenow » Fri May 31, 2013 4:22 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
thefuturenow wrote:Is it possible that this thread has become too long to be helpful? I mean on which page do I find all the details on why DRoD is a douche.

Now that I have your attention; I would greatly appreciate help with housing. Looking for a 2 bedroom, 1,400-2000. The closer to campus the better. I would kill for a balcony. And if said balcony overlooks Lake, well . . .

Which neighborhoods/websites/agencies should I start with? Also, is mid-July too late to start this process? I am stuck at work until then.

Thank you so much for the invaluable wisdom that you have dropped on this thread.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:24 pm

is there anyone out there headed to northwestern in the fall or currently there who is looking for a roommate?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri May 31, 2013 4:25 pm

thefuturenow wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Now that I have your attention; I would greatly appreciate help with housing. Looking for a 2 bedroom, 1,400-2000. The closer to campus the better. I would kill for a balcony. And if said balcony overlooks Lake, well . . .

Which neighborhoods/websites/agencies should I start with? Also, is mid-July too late to start this process? I am stuck at work until then.

Thank you so much for the invaluable wisdom that you have dropped on this thread.

Housing isnt really my area of expertise, since I was one of the "fuck it, I'll just pay for a studio in streeterville and make my life easier" people. But, I would think to get the amenities you want and price you want (or close, at least) you'd need to go north. Luckily, the express bus is a breeze, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure other people who know more will chime in after work!! (my office is a ghost town today, so I'm doing nothing...)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri May 31, 2013 4:36 pm

I've been reading back over posts ITT from the last few days, and @lgleye: OCI participants will be released next Mon, June 3rd. (: Also, chill out! It's still super early, so don't overstress. Take some time to enjoy your summer.

thefuturenow

Postby thefuturenow » Fri May 31, 2013 4:54 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
thefuturenow wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Housing isnt really my area of expertise, since I was one of the "fuck it, I'll just pay for a studio in streeterville and make my life easier" people. But, I would think to get the amenities you want and price you want (or close, at least) you'd need to go north. Luckily, the express bus is a breeze, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure other people who know more will chime in after work!! (my office is a ghost town today, so I'm doing nothing...)

I hope so. What do you mean by north? I visited campus in February but it was so cold and windy, I refused to leave the library.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:While Rogers Park isn't as safe as Gold Coast, it's still pretty safe. My eldery great aunt and uncle lived there for 40 years.

Rogers Park is fine. Humboldt and Garfield are not. It's weird how neighborhoods are intermittently dangerous in Chicago sometimes. Like Uptown: parts of it are fine, and parts (think off the Russell red line) are NOT fine. It's weird.

Yea, I used to work in Ravenswood, so I'd fairly regularly go to uptown, and I thought it was very safe. Until I realized, several blocks off the beaten path it is shady. I think its due for improvement, I'd buy a condo there if I was staying.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri May 31, 2013 8:25 pm

thefuturenow wrote:I would greatly appreciate help with housing. Looking for a 2 bedroom, 1,400-2000. The closer to campus the better. I would kill for a balcony. And if said balcony overlooks Lake, well . . .

I would start with Lincoln Park and work your way north from there. $1400 is going to be tough there, but ~$1700 should be doable.

If you want a balcony that overlooks the lake in that price range, you probably have to go up to Edgewater or something.

Domu has aggregate price ranges by neighborhood. They don't have a lot of listings, but it's worth looking at. Padmapper, apartments.com, and Chicago Apartment Finders all have their pros and cons. Craigslist is the best IMO, but requires the most work. And if you have time, walk around an area you like and look for For Rent signs.

Mid-July is not too late at all, but I would start figuring out generally what you want and where you can get it for your price range. Nobody will want to talk to you until 60 days out, but you can do research now. The more time you spend the better deal and fit you are going to find.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 31, 2013 8:36 pm

Samara wrote:And if you have time, walk around an area you like and look for For Rent signs.

Credited, as long as it is nice out.

MKX

Postby MKX » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:35 am

I know this might not be the best place to ask, but I'm not sure where to really ask...

Right now I have a 3.4 GPA, and will be taking the LSAT in 9 days.... so obviously my score will go a long way in this, but lets say I were to score 165-169 and just miss that 170, what are my chances at NW?

I have work experience, been working since I was 16 and never had a break, but nothing in law (yet). I may be getting a job a law related job soon but it is not guarantee. I read somewhere that NW loves work experience, and not sure where I read this but it said that management positions help you a lot as well since they want to see that you can be responsible for yourself and others. Luckily I have 3 years of management experience.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this type of question, just ignore if it is. The stress of the LSAT coming up is probably getting to me and I just had to ask this.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”