Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Holly Golightly

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue May 21, 2013 5:08 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Congrats to all the 3Ls who are done with law school!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And congrats to all the 2Ls who get to enjoy 3LOL now.

Oh, am I supposed to be done by now?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue May 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Congrats to all the 3Ls who are done with law school!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And congrats to all the 2Ls who get to enjoy 3LOL now.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:11 pm

traehekat wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

When I see graduated 3Ls at school:

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Flips88 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

You can pry the atrium from cold dead, bar prepping hands.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Do they demand your Wildcard from you at any point? I think we had to forfeit ours in undergrad or pay a fine.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Do they demand your Wildcard from you at any point? I think we had to forfeit ours in undergrad or pay a fine.

I don't think so. I used my UG one all the way until law school to get movie theater discounts. But then when I was finally legit again, the theaters stopped giving student discounts.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue May 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Flips88 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

So much bite me.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue May 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Forget to sign out of your account on your wife's phone, get credit for her bitchiness.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm

IAFG wrote:Forget to sign out of your account on your wife's phone, get credit for her bitchiness.

:lol: :lol:

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Do they demand your Wildcard from you at any point? I think we had to forfeit ours in undergrad or pay a fine.

No. It works all the way through the summer until the bar, and then stops working at some point in August.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu May 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Tempting to go for the drinks, but I couldn't care less about what the Aon dude has to say.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Also: still not actually finished.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon May 27, 2013 4:21 pm

any ideas on around what time grades should be coming out?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon May 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:any ideas on around what time grades should be coming out?

no, but

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Mon May 27, 2013 4:48 pm

Kadens said June 6-7. They came out on June 6 last year.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Mon May 27, 2013 5:11 pm

This has been the easiest wait for grades ever. Probably because a) I don't give a shit and b) I didn't even finish the semester until a week ago.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue May 28, 2013 8:57 am

lgleye wrote:Hi:

Anyone here recall when the OCI firms show up on Simplicity? I think I recall someone saying it was around June3 1st........... Thanks.

Dude. Go into symplicity and find the pdfs with GPA and callback data for firms and offices that have come to OCI in the last couple of years. If they came last year, you can assume they will come this year at least for research/networking purposes.

Or go into Chambers and Partners and find the top firms for your practice areas and cities, then email that list to your career advisor and ask which ones come to OCI. They probably come here, and if they don't, great! Mail them anyway.

Or look at the firms who have come to events on campus already. Those are firms who will be at OCI. They don't come on campus for an event and then don't interview here.

Your enthusiasm is admirable, but there are ways you can get this information without posting on TLS asking for it once a week.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 am

T
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 am

lgleye wrote:Thanks, Bumi:

But I've already got that based on input from you and DF on this and other previous threads. (Thanks for that....really helpful).

However, my query here is "when", not how. I seem to recall from an OCS meeting that it was supposed to be June 1st..... but looking at past NU OCI blogs, it seems that these blogs started in the middle of June.

Lastly, I've got a lotta enthusiasm.... let's be frank....it's not "admirable", as you stated, but probably annoying as shit, especially if you think I'm asking about stuff that's already been answered. Thanks for your understanding that it's really not enthusiasm, but fear.

Already, I can't wait until this OCI cycle is over. So I wanna know when I can start building my bid list.

I understand how you feel but you must. chill.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 28, 2013 7:58 pm

lgleye wrote:Thanks, Bumi:

But I've already got that based on input from you and DF on this and other previous threads. (Thanks for that....really helpful).

However, my query here is "when", not how. I seem to recall from an OCS meeting that it was supposed to be June 1st..... but looking at past NU OCI blogs, it seems that these blogs started in the middle of June.

Lastly, I've got a lotta enthusiasm.... let's be frank....it's not "admirable", as you stated, but probably annoying as shit, especially if you think I'm asking about stuff that's already been answered. Thanks for your understanding that it's really not enthusiasm, but fear.

Already, I can't wait until this OCI cycle is over. So I wanna know when I can start building my bid list.

Your "query?" Dude, you need to chill. Reflect on the fact that several people have said that to you because if anything will fuck you over at OCI, it's being an unaware tryhard. You will be fine. Do your research on firms, do some practice interviews with people who will rip you a new asshole, and have unique answers prepped for the bullshit that gets asked in every interviews. For now: ENJOY YOUR SUMMER.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 29, 2013 12:21 am

Blumpbeef wrote:any ideas on around what time grades should be coming out?

Ugh, the more important question is how am I supposed to filter the email telling me about grades to my trash when they fucked it up by changing the subject line last semester?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed May 29, 2013 12:23 am

lgleye wrote:Already, I can't wait until this OCI cycle is over. So I wanna know when I can start building my bid list.

Dude, I get it. It's super annoying to have people tell you to relax when you are justifiably terrified.

I don't know when the bid list will come out. But all I am saying is that most of the work you're itching to do does not have to wait for the bid list.

Do you know, right now, what 25 big firm offices in big cities you want to talk to the most this fall? Do you know, right now, roughly how selective each of those offices are? Do you know how big the summer classes are? Do you have your cities picked out? What about practice areas, which practice areas can you sell? Have you (appropriately) reached out to alumni in those offices to have coffee or talk on the phone? If you are this terrified and want to do work, do that work. It's a lot of work. You have the resources to answer all of those questions, and none of those questions can be answered by the list of OCI firms.

Assume that big firms in big cities will come to OCI, and you'll be right. If you research a firm now and find out later it doesn't come to OCI, great! Network and mail. If you find 15 firms coming to OCI that have offices in the cities that you want that you didn't research, great! You've already researched the rest and don't have much left to do.

Finally, as someone who spent wayyyyyy too many hours dicking around with my bid list, I am firmly of the opinion that time spent on your bid order runs into diminishing returns quickly. A stupid bid list will eff you, but a smart bid list won't get you a whole lot more of what you want than a median bid list. Know what 25 biglaw offices you want to talk to if you had the chance: where you can sell yourself to them and they are a good fit for you. Network with them, learn what you can straight from them. At OCI, do everything you can to get in front of as many as possible when they're here - if you don't get a bid, perseverance or networking or getting up super early can often times fix that.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Wed May 29, 2013 12:26 am

Bumi wrote:Dude, I get it. It's super annoying to have people tell you to relax when you are justifiably terrified.

I don't know when the bid list will come out. But all I am saying is that most of the work you're itching to do does not have to wait for the bid list.

Do you know, right now, what 25 big firm offices in big cities you want to talk to the most this fall? Do you know, right now, roughly how selective each of those offices are? Do you know how big the summer classes are? Do you have your cities picked out? What about practice areas, which practice areas can you sell? Have you (appropriately) reached out to alumni in those offices to have coffee or talk on the phone? If you are this terrified and want to do work, do that work. It's a lot of work. You have the resources to answer all of those questions, and none of those questions can be answered by the list of OCI firms.

Assume that big firms in big cities will come to OCI, and you'll be right. If you research a firm now and find out later it doesn't come to OCI, great! Network and mail. If you find 15 firms coming to OCI that have offices in the cities that you want that you didn't research, great! You've already researched the rest and don't have much left to do.

Finally, as someone who spent wayyyyyy too many hours dicking around with my bid list, I am firmly of the opinion that time spent on your bid order runs into diminishing returns quickly. A stupid bid list will eff you, but a smart bid list won't get you a whole lot more of what you want than a median bid list. Know what 25 biglaw offices you want to talk to if you had the chance: where you can sell yourself to them and they are a good fit for you. Network with them, learn what you can straight from them. At OCI, do everything you can to get in front of as many as possible when they're here - if you don't get a bid, perseverance or networking or getting up super early can often times fix that.

wow this is awesome advice

also: OCI is really f'n random. it really is. smart bidding, networking, etc, is more about giving yourself a high floor than a high ceiling. but when beneath the floor is a giant flaming pit of debt and despair, the higher your floor the prettier you'll be sitting. so yeah. channel your energy into getting to know these firms, getting to know yourself (this is huge) and lay the groundwork for yourself to have a solid OCI season. and if it gets to be too much, take a step back - you're at a top law school, and your grades will be fine. you're in better shape for a legal career than about 90% of law students already.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”