Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Blumpbeef

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue May 14, 2013 9:41 am

untar614 wrote:
hmlee wrote:I would also add that going to NU at sticker is not necessarily a bad idea. It really depends on where else you got in and whether you got money from a comparable school.

I graduated from Northwestern last year, and I paid sticker during my time there. I also have a little bit of undergraduate debt from my years at U Chicago. I don't work public interest, and I make a salary that is livable but not near BigLaw proportions. I'm starting IBR this summer and am not terribly concerned about my debt. This is partly because I have a shot at a decent payout if the startup that I work for goes big, but also because I know that IBR is completely reasonable and I highly doubt the tax code will be the same as it is now in 25 years (if it even takes me that long to pay it).

No school can guarantee you a job, even three years from now when we have no idea what the market will look like. Still, some schools are certainly better than others. Debt load and school ranking should be considerations, but it's a balancing act.

Are you really paying off your debt on IBR? I thought that at sticker, the debt accrued would result in nearly 25k/year just in interest.

I think the idea is to have it forgiven after 25 years.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:24 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
untar614 wrote:
hmlee wrote:I would also add that going to NU at sticker is not necessarily a bad idea. It really depends on where else you got in and whether you got money from a comparable school.

I graduated from Northwestern last year, and I paid sticker during my time there. I also have a little bit of undergraduate debt from my years at U Chicago. I don't work public interest, and I make a salary that is livable but not near BigLaw proportions. I'm starting IBR this summer and am not terribly concerned about my debt. This is partly because I have a shot at a decent payout if the startup that I work for goes big, but also because I know that IBR is completely reasonable and I highly doubt the tax code will be the same as it is now in 25 years (if it even takes me that long to pay it).

No school can guarantee you a job, even three years from now when we have no idea what the market will look like. Still, some schools are certainly better than others. Debt load and school ranking should be considerations, but it's a balancing act.

Are you really paying off your debt on IBR? I thought that at sticker, the debt accrued would result in nearly 25k/year just in interest.

The "(if it even takes me that long to pay it off)" led me to believe s/he is in fact paying it off (or at least believes to be). As for debt forgiveness, PAYE has it at 20 years, though you have to qualify for it.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:43 am

How out of loan money do you have to get before you resort to selling your dogs flee-ridden bed on the list-serve for 10 dollars?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 14, 2013 11:14 am

Desert Fox wrote:How out of loan money do you have to get before you resort to selling your dogs flee-ridden bed on the list-serve for 10 dollars?

This is what scares/pisses me off about delayed start dates... Gimme a month to move and clear my head, but 4+ months is too expensive

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue May 14, 2013 11:16 am

Cobretti wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:How out of loan money do you have to get before you resort to selling your dogs flee-ridden bed on the list-serve for 10 dollars?

This is what scares/pisses me off about delayed start dates... Gimme a month to move and clear my head, but 4+ months is too expensive

Our start date has been delayed until January, but we have the option of taking out an advance on our salary. No idea what I'm going to do for 5 months, though. Suggestions?

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:21 am

traehekat wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Our start date has been delayed until January, but we have the option of taking out an advance on our salary. No idea what I'm going to do for 5 months, though. Suggestions?

Enjoy your life while you can hopefully. Maybe try to find a temp gig, but it'd probably be nonlegal. I'd consider doing daylabor.

But really I'd move to my dad's house and play Xbox 20 hours a day.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Tue May 14, 2013 11:24 am

untar614 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
untar614 wrote:

The "(if it even takes me that long to pay it off)" led me to believe s/he is in fact paying it off (or at least believes to be). As for debt forgiveness, PAYE has it at 20 years, though you have to qualify for it.

I suppose I should have been more clear on that. I'm in IBR as of this summer, and will be so for as long as I need to be depending on my finances. For my personal situation, there's essentially three ways it could go:

1. I'm on IBR for 25 years and have it forgiven
2. I make enough money from the startup to wipe away my debt
3. I'm on IBR for several years, and then, when my salary is higher I pay extra payments (above even normal, non-IBR payments) to clear it out ahead of the forgiveness period

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 14, 2013 11:29 am

traehekat wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Hit the gym a bunch. You'll be drowning in models and bottles soon, and its important to be minimally physically attractive to get the full benefit

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue May 14, 2013 11:39 am

C
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue May 14, 2013 12:14 pm

traehekat wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Move somewhere you can afford to live. Home, preferably.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue May 14, 2013 12:15 pm

lgleye wrote:Can't believe you 3L guys are leaving.......whaddawegonnadooo?
Can you guys who have delayed start dates tell us which firms?

I think most firms have at least some people start in Oct/Nov, don't they?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue May 14, 2013 12:38 pm

IAFG wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Move somewhere you can afford to live. Home, preferably.

Yeah I considered it, but I do like where I am right now (large 2 BR pet friendly in Lakeview with 2 free parking spots on a quiet block). Moving is such a pain, too, plus I have no idea where I would store all this furniture I've accumulated.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Looks like D Rod is pulling through

this donation is being put towards a chaired professorship, so not exactly what most people here are looking for, but either way... $3M

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed May 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Cobretti wrote:Looks like D Rod is pulling through

this donation is being put towards a chaired professorship, so not exactly what most people here are looking for, but either way... $3M

God I hate him so much.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri May 17, 2013 2:59 pm

At grad. Sweet speech D Rod, esp the dictionary opening.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 17, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm at home watching tv. I win.

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:27 pm

IAFG wrote:At grad. Sweet speech D Rod, esp the dictionary opening.

Can someone give me the cliffs on why D Rod is disliked?

chill

Postby chill » Fri May 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 17, 2013 3:56 pm

PBateman1 wrote:

It began with his openly dismissive attitude towards any students who asked him a question he didn't like. After that, people just started looking for more reasons to hate him.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri May 17, 2013 4:02 pm

PBateman1 wrote:

He solicits "student input," then makes decisions where it's abundantly clear that he didn't give a fuck what students had to say.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:42 pm

chill wrote:
PBateman1 wrote:

I'm sure other folks can give their reasons, but here's one: during an 8-hour, mandatory, curved 1L Con Law final, Northwestern scheduled a conference in Thorne just around the corner from the rooms the 1L's were taking the test in. Conference attendees were roaming the halls. This was not the only occasion where the school was rented out during finals period, just the most egregious. Northwestern has among the highest (the highest?) COA among law schools, yet apparently it is so strapped for cash that it thinks it appropriate to turn itself into an airport Marriott even during finals.

ETA: D Rod or someone in the administration had to sign off on this; there has been no apology or statement that the policy will change, so I'm putting it on him.
I heard that the new SBA officers made their feelings about this (and on leaving the atrium emptied of seats and tables for days on end during study period) emphatically known. Whether that does any good or not... :?

My dislike of him is based on mostly third-hand stuff, but stories like how he was SO SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED that we aren't required to lock our computers down with Examsoft during finals irritate me. We're adults, you don't need to treat us like fucking children. He hasn't implemented full Examsoft use...yet. Hopefully he doesn't.

Also, he hired his wife. To do what, nobody seems to know.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Fuck hiring his wife for some bullshit position.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Also, he hired his wife. To do what, nobody seems to know.

BJs on demand.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 17, 2013 10:16 pm

rayiner wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Also, he hired his wife. To do what, nobody seems to know.

BJs on demand.

She doesn't get me on demand.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat May 18, 2013 4:07 am

Congrats to all the 3Ls who are done with law school!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And congrats to all the 2Ls who get to enjoy 3LOL now.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”