Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PBateman1

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby PBateman1 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Are there any JD/MBA's in this thread? I was just wondering if Kellogg had Bloomberg Terminals available for public use.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun May 05, 2013 3:09 am

PBateman1 wrote:Are there any JD/MBA's in this thread? I was just wondering if Kellogg had Bloomberg Terminals available for public use.

No, I'm pretty sure they are restricted to Kellogg students. I think you need a key for Jacobs to even get in the room where they are located.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue May 07, 2013 8:43 am

Anyone have M&A outline for Fiebig? This is gunna be a bumpy ride without one ...

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Wed May 08, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi:
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:35 pm

lgleye wrote:Hi:

Does anyone know when the list of OCI firms will be presented to us? I need to figure out how much time I have to research the firms that fit my profile. I know bids have to be done in late July...........

You'll have plenty of time. It isn't that hard to research firms.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed May 08, 2013 10:39 pm

bk1 wrote:

Does anyone know when the list of OCI firms will be presented to us? I need to figure out how much time I have to research the firms that fit my profile. I know bids have to be done in late July...........

You'll have plenty of time. It isn't that hard to research firms.

1. Finish exams
2. Boat Cruise (drink heavily)
3. Break
4. Bar Review (drink heavily)
5. Pick up write on packet -----focus on until finished
6. RELAX
7. Maybe start researching firms sometime in early July.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:40 pm

You're coming on a little strong bro

Overeager 1L starting to build my Excel list for upcoming OCI. Does anyone know how I can get contact info on NU alumni working at any particular firm (such as Kirkland) ? I heard that there was some resource in Career Services office or in Simplicity.... thanks.

I'm a 1L, and finally seeing the ight at the end of the tunnel.........although I know that grades are my #1 focus, I'm starting to think a bit about OCI.
Can someone tell me about the term selectivity, what it means, and how it figures into the ranking/bidding process for OCI? Thanks.

lgleye wrote:Hey Peiple:

Revving up for 2L OCI coming up this August..... starting to familiarize myself with the bidding system. Can anyone tell me the typical number of interviews a 2L can get with his points? (assuming he doesn't throw all his points on a couple law firms). Thanks.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Wed May 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed May 08, 2013 11:55 pm

lgleye wrote:Hey, Flips,

I Know, I know. Sorry, but it's just that this job market scares the shit outta me. Only a bit above media, but with BSME, allowing me to participate in the Loyola PLIP. Even then, I get shivers when I read about all those people with 3.5/3.6 with still nothing by September. I figured that you 3L's would understand..........after all, you went through worse in 2011 and 2012.

Being afraid is one thing. Driving yourself nuts way too early is another.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:56 pm

I decided not to do the Loyola PLIP for various reasons. I suspect I'm going to spend a year regretting the decision and having people tell me it was stupid, even though I think my reasons were valid. :?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:03 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I decided not to do the Loyola PLIP for various reasons. I suspect I'm going to spend a year regretting the decision and having people tell me it was stupid, even though I think my reasons were valid. :?

I'll start your year off:
rinkrat19 wrote:it was stupid

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu May 09, 2013 12:05 am

bjsesq wrote:
lgleye wrote:Hey, Flips,

I Know, I know. Sorry, but it's just that this job market scares the shit outta me. Only a bit above media, but with BSME, allowing me to participate in the Loyola PLIP. Even then, I get shivers when I read about all those people with 3.5/3.6 with still nothing by September. I figured that you 3L's would understand..........after all, you went through worse in 2011 and 2012.

Being afraid is one thing. Driving yourself nuts way too early is another.

This. Plus nothing you do right now is going to help. Researching firms is unlikely going to help you land a job at OCI, and while I am a proponent of mass mailing as early as possible, it is way to early to do that right now since firms are more concerned with gearing up for their summer classes.

You really need to relax, focus on the write on, and the you can start thinking about this in June.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu May 09, 2013 12:12 am

bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I decided not to do the Loyola PLIP for various reasons. I suspect I'm going to spend a year regretting the decision and having people tell me it was stupid, even though I think my reasons were valid. :?

I'll second. Getting as many bites at the apple as possible is pretty much the name of the game at OCI. If there's any way to get back in, do it ASAP.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu May 09, 2013 12:15 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I'll second. Getting as many bites at the apple as possible is pretty much the name of the game at OCI. If there's any way to get back in, do it ASAP.

and third. I know a bunch of people who did this and it was probably the best decision they made. Sorry to pile on, Rink, but it's more for future generations of NU Law students.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:25 am

1. I don't want to be just an IP lawyer.
2. I don't have one of the desirable degrees like EE/CS/PhD in a science.
3. I don't want to work in Chicago or NY.
4. PLIP is during the 9th week of my 10-week summer gig and even though it's unpaid govt work and won't lead to a 2L or post-grad job, I don't feel like I can bail out on it that particular week to fly to Chicago.
5. Pretty sure it's too late to get back into it in any way.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu May 09, 2013 12:27 am

bk1 wrote:

I too fucked up and didn't register.

Worth it to fly out to SF IP fair?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I too fucked up and didn't register.

Worth it to fly out to SF IP fair?

Jeez, at least I registered. (I decided not to bid this week.)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:30 am

At least SFIPLA is on a FUCKING WEEKEND.

Maybe I'll do that one. Probably more cities/firms I'd be interested in anyway. And god knows the plane ticket would be about half the price.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 am

For future people's benefit since 5 makes it moot.
rinkrat19 wrote:1. I don't want to be just an IP lawyer.

That's fine, but don't presume that you will be able to get biglaw doing non-IP stuff. People at the top of the class strike out. If you don't want to do IP you can make that decision later once you have an offer to do non-IP stuff. If you end up getting 0 offers you'll be kicking yourself.
rinkrat19 wrote:2. I don't have one of the desirable degrees like EE/CS/PhD in a science.

So? It's free to sign up and you don't have to go unless you get preselects. Let the firms decide they don't want to interview you, don't just presume they aren't going to.
rinkrat19 wrote:3. I don't want to work in Chicago or NY.

Same as 1. Unless you absolutely will not work in Chi/NYC, don't presume you will be able to get a biglaw job somewhere else.
rinkrat19 wrote:4. PLIP is during the 9th week of my 10-week summer gig and even though it's unpaid govt work and won't lead to a 2L or post-grad job, I don't feel like I can bail out on it that particular week to fly to Chicago.

This reason is just dumb. Of course you can and should take time off from your unpaid internship that will lead to nothing. If they have a problem with that, fuck 'em.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:50 am

Blumpbeef wrote:Worth it to fly out to SF IP fair?

It's worth it to sign up and bid on every career fair (IP/diversity/etc) for every city you would conceivably live in. Once you get your preselects/lottery screeners you can then decide whether it's worth it to go or not. People in previous career fair threads debated whether it's worth it to fly out if you only get 1-2 screeners, but I'm of the opinion if you're only getting that many you need as many as you can get and you should go. But again, you don't have to worry about that until after you get results.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:58 am

bk1 wrote:For future people's benefit since 5 makes it moot.

That's fine, but don't presume that you will be able to get biglaw doing non-IP stuff. People at the top of the class strike out. If you don't want to do IP you can make that decision later once you have an offer to do non-IP stuff. If you end up getting 0 offers you'll be kicking yourself.
rinkrat19 wrote:2. I don't have one of the desirable degrees like EE/CS/PhD in a science.

So? It's free to sign up and you don't have to go unless you get preselects. Let the firms decide they don't want to interview you, don't just presume they aren't going to.
rinkrat19 wrote:3. I don't want to work in Chicago or NY.

Same as 1. Unless you absolutely will not work in Chi/NYC, don't presume you will be able to get a biglaw job somewhere else.
rinkrat19 wrote:4. PLIP is during the 9th week of my 10-week summer gig and even though it's unpaid govt work and won't lead to a 2L or post-grad job, I don't feel like I can bail out on it that particular week to fly to Chicago.

This reason is just dumb. Of course you can and should take time off from your unpaid internship that will lead to nothing. If they have a problem with that, fuck 'em.
Yes, this is the argument that goes back and forth in my head. But it's too late now.

I might do the SF one.

I'm also going to go hard contacting firms in Portland to hopefully get some interviews this summer. That's a thing, right?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu May 09, 2013 1:22 am

2. I don't have one of the desirable degrees like EE/CS/PhD in a science.
3. I don't want to work in Chicago or NY.
4. PLIP is during the 9th week of my 10-week summer gig and even though it's unpaid govt work and won't lead to a 2L or post-grad job, I don't feel like I can bail out on it that particular week to fly to Chicago.
5. Pretty sure it's too late to get back into it in any way.

I don't want to be a dick, but you really should have asked someone about this. For any 0Ls lurking this thread for whom reason 5 doesn't apply, not that you'll remember, but: Reasons 1-4 are not good reasons to avoid PLIP.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu May 09, 2013 1:29 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I'm also going to go hard contacting firms in Portland to hopefully get some interviews this summer. That's a thing, right?

Yes. They probably will be happy to see a Northwestern student, but skeptical that you actually want to be in Portland. You can overcome that of course. But yeah, this is a great idea.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:35 am

Bumi wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'm also going to go hard contacting firms in Portland to hopefully get some interviews this summer. That's a thing, right?

Yes. They probably will be happy to see a Northwestern student, but skeptical that you actually want to be in Portland. You can overcome that of course. But yeah, this is a great idea.

Since I've lived in Oregon for 28 years, I don't think I'll have trouble selling that part. :P Grades will be the bigger obstacle.

I'm gonna try for Denver, too. That will be the harder target, since my ties are living there for a year as a kid and loving mountains.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu May 09, 2013 1:42 am

Should I have signed up for this even though I have literally no IP related background and interest? Shit.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”