Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bdubs

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bdubs » Thu May 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Cobretti wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Cobretti wrote:I was also curious about what you guys thought specifically about the claim that through the Kellogg connection, some vanilla JDs were able to land MBB level jobs.

*I have no interest in these jobs, just curious.

I think it's BS. The connection to Kellogg (particularly for recruiting) for non-MBAs is non-existent. MBB hire JDs at Northwestern the same way they hire them at all of the T14.

So MBB aside, do you still think that on average NU's "JD Advantage" jobs are more optimal than JD Advantage at its peer schools for vanilla JDs? Or do you think his letter strictly applies to JD/MBAs?

I can't comment on non-JD/MBA outcomes, but his post is almost exclusively pulled from information from the JD-MBA program. I would be highly skeptical of all extensions to plain vanilla JDs.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 pm

bdubs wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Cobretti wrote:I was also curious about what you guys thought specifically about the claim that through the Kellogg connection, some vanilla JDs were able to land MBB level jobs.

*I have no interest in these jobs, just curious.

I think it's BS. The connection to Kellogg (particularly for recruiting) for non-MBAs is non-existent. MBB hire JDs at Northwestern the same way they hire them at all of the T14.

So MBB aside, do you still think that on average NU's "JD Advantage" jobs are more optimal than JD Advantage at its peer schools for vanilla JDs? Or do you think his letter strictly applies to JD/MBAs?

I can't comment on non-JD/MBA outcomes, but his post is almost exclusively pulled from information from the JD-MBA program. I would be highly skeptical of all extensions to plain vanilla JDs.

Ya, he clearly focused on that but he tried to slide in the vanilla JD connection:

D-Rod wrote:The JD-MBA students who embark on business-related careers–where a JD might not be specifically required, but is nonetheless invaluable–comprise about 5% of our total graduates each year (6% in 2012). Further, because of our strong relationship with the Kellogg School of Management and the synergies that exist for all students, another 3%-4% of our overall JD students typically succeed in obtaining similar jobs immediately upon graduation. Therefore, any attempts by external sources to compare law schools solely on jobs that require a law degree fail to capture this sizeable and highly successful cohort of students.

@IAFG: do you think the business sector hiring advantage extends to non JD/MBAs?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu May 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Partner doesn't just mean partner at a V100.

This is true. But keep in mind that the JD-MBA program was only expanded and shortened to 3 years in 1999 (first graduates in 2001). The majority of grads who are in law haven't been there long enough to make partner. Of those who are in legal positions and graduated before 2004, a significant number (more than 10%) are partners at V100 firms.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Even if MBB recruit at NWern the same as the rest, being older and having more WE may lead to more NW students getting those jobs. But I don't really know too many people not doing law. I know one guy going to a big bank, but that's it.

I wish the ABA had a percent of people making more than 80 or 90K a year. That'd be a good way to distinguish shit from nonshit.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Not to be cynical here, but who cares if Northwestern JDs do slightly better for the MBB group or bulge bracket banks or whatever? Anyone who goes to law school and isn't interested in practicing law is in the wrong place. It would be a lot easier to get to MBB from a mid-tier MBA like Duke, which is not that hard to get into, than from NU. If you're a JD-MBA, fine, it makes sense to go to finance perhaps, but anyone coming to law school as a "vanilla" JD student and interested in finance is going to find it very hard.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:53 pm

purpletiger wrote:Not to be cynical here, but who cares if Northwestern JDs do slightly better for the MBB group or bulge bracket banks or whatever? Anyone who goes to law school and isn't interested in practicing law is in the wrong place. It would be a lot easier to get to MBB from a mid-tier MBA like Duke, which is not that hard to get into, than from NU. If you're a JD-MBA, fine, it makes sense to go to finance perhaps, but anyone coming to law school as a "vanilla" JD student and interested in finance is going to find it very hard.

I think the point was that you can't just judge a school by the %employed by an employer that requires a JD because a not insignificant number of NW students don't go into law because they choose another profession and found good work in that profession. So that if you say that 85% of northwestern students are working "jd prefered" and 90% of UVA students, that's not necessary a good comparison.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 pm

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 pm

No idea, and even if I did, outing another classmate's identity re: internet shit is not cool.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 03, 2013 9:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:

No idea, and even if I did, outing another classmate's identity re: internet shit is not cool.

Um, I suppose :? though linking anonymous screenames to anonymous blogs doesn't seem quite like a breach of trust to me...

I was also expecting the reveal as more of a voluntary admission. I don't really care, just enjoyed the website is all.
Last edited by Micdiddy on Fri May 03, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri May 03, 2013 9:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:

+1

ETA: If all the SNs here are anonymous, how would anyone know if a TLSer was behind the blog? Doesn't really make sense.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Um, I suppose :? though linking anonymous screenames to anonymous blogs doesn't seem quite like a breach of trust to me...

I was also expecting the reveal as more of a voluntary admission. I don't really care, just enjoyed the website is all.

I don't think it's a TLS'r, that's my point.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 03, 2013 10:05 pm

--ImageRemoved--

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri May 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Wasn't trying to rag on you, mididdy, I just don't know who it is. FWIW, quite a few people have been asking about it in person and on the c/o 2015 FB page as well, so you're not alone.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri May 03, 2013 10:20 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Wasn't trying to rag on you, mididdy, I just don't know who it is. FWIW, quite a few people have been asking about it in person and on the c/o 2015 FB page as well, so you're not alone.

Psychoanalysis of the gifs indicates its a Male, 32-39 yrs old, Asian, and probably fat.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri May 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Cobretti wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Wasn't trying to rag on you, mididdy, I just don't know who it is. FWIW, quite a few people have been asking about it in person and on the c/o 2015 FB page as well, so you're not alone.

Psychoanalysis of the gifs indicates its a Male, 32-39 yrs old, Asian, and probably fat.

:lol: Interesting psychoanalysis...

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Good to know :D

Cobretti wrote:

Is this your way of admitting it's you?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri May 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

Is this your way of admitting it's you?

bjsesq wrote:

THANKS BRO

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sat May 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:07 pm

lgleye wrote:Hi Guys,

Just about to start planning for mass mailing (spreadsheets, etc. Re-learning Excel).

One thing I've got to clear up first, though, is

1) whether the cover letter should be addressed to the Hiring Attorney listed in NALP, even though I'll be emailing it to the Recruiting Contact, usually some Director or Manager of Recruitment.
2) If to the Hiring Attorney, should I merely type in "Mr. John Smith, Hiring Attorney"? (include the "Esq." or not?)
3) If to the Hiring Attorney, why didn't NALP just include it in their NALP MailMerge output?

Thanks for your help.

Recruiting Contact

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat May 04, 2013 5:33 pm

So, like, the ITP paper is really just a formality. RIght?

This thing is a way bigger time suck than I imagined.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Icculus wrote:So, like, the ITP paper is really just a formality. RIght?

Even with requesting 2 extensions, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get everything done by Thursday that's supposed to be done by Thursday. I hate everything.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat May 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Even with requesting 2 extensions, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get everything done by Thursday that's supposed to be done by Thursday. I hate everything.

I am totally in the same boat. I regret everything right now. At least you are done Thursday. I need to make sure I don't fuck up so badly that I ruin my clerkship apps.

I want to go back and slap the shit out of the fall version of me who thought, "Oh, two papers, how hard can that be?"

edit: for effect.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat May 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Icculus wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

I am totally in the same boat. I regret everything right now. At least you are done Thursday. I need to make sure I don't fuck up so badly that I ruin my clerkship apps.

I want to go back and slap the shit out of the fall version of me who thought, "Oh, two papers, how hard can that be?"

Nah, I won't be done Thursday, I need extensions for 2 classes. I just hope I'm done by graduation at this point.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat May 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Nah, I won't be done Thursday, I need extensions for 2 classes. I just hope I'm done by graduation at this point.

Well good luck! They can't stop you now, right?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat May 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Icculus wrote:Well good luck! They can't stop you now, right?

I wish I could just drop a few classes now, I definitely don't need all of these credits to graduate. haha

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”